Idea for "big roid" and "big hulk" mining (maybe moon mining too?)...

It occurred to me that roids and hulks can be inside other objects, so I had the thought of placing roid and hulks spawns inside of something bigger (like the Moon Fragment in AP for roids or gate wrecks for hulks). The prospector would therefore look like they were mining that object instead of the roid, which I just think would be cool :) Fly up to the Moon Fragment and see if there's anything to mine, or check out the gate wreck in ABA and see if there's anything to loot. 

Also, if one removed the textures from those roids / hulks, there'd be no visible evidence that they were there, so this could be used on the other floaty decorations like those big skeletons. I can imagine that you could create organics loot drops for prospectors to mine that way, if it's worth doing ofc.

Re moons, I don't know if you can place spawns on or near enough to those objects to make this work. But that would be cool too just for flavor reasons. Moon mining. It even sounds cool to say.

Just wanted to get that out of my head, the rattling was driving me crazy :)

Edited by Manfredjinsinjin

• 3 weeks later...

Scavenging is definitely something that makes sense to me for a "pirate" in space.  Could even go to the lengths of being able to take a loot hulk, and rip pieces from an old ship from it using a skill of sorts.  Sort of "mining" the hulk.  Dunno if it should be on organic mobs, but would be a pretty cool idea especially for pirates, v'rix, or the big bogeril genril or cap'ns.

Edited by Willbonney

I like the idea somewhat too.  More things for miners to do is, IMO, a good thing.  It gives more things for explorers to do in the form of content designed for explorers. 

Another thing I'd like to see, over the long run for miners, is some type of instanced mining with some guardians to deal with.  I'm thinking 2 groups maybe 3 required, most of which are explorers, but some warriors & traders required.   In order to get into the area each group leader would need a key.  Anyone not grouped would not be able to enter. To get the key you have to be an explorer (JE, PE, Scout).   The key would be tradeable.   An NPC would tell you what was wanted, to give you the key.  He'd ask for various ores, and new refines.  Some of those refines may require some drops.  In terms of difficulty, the drops should probably be off mobs in the CL25-CL40 range.    After gathering the things needed for the Key, the NPC would tell the explorer where the key could be used.   This would be repeatable

Inside the instance, there would be mobs in the 50-60 range  maybe one or two mobs that are higher.  These mobs would have drops that can only be found here (new equipment to be added in over time).   These items would be manufacturable, for the most part, and not be intended to be rare.  Equipment would not be as powerful as things that are dropped from GoBB, Controller, or Fishbowl, but they would have the advantage of being easier to obtain, and be worthwhile (L8 and L9 gear).  There would be something for everyone. 

There would also be L8 and L9 mining.  There would be a time limit to clear out all the ores and all the mobs.

The time limit would be key to ensure having enough miners for the job of clearing out the field.  Possibly some "hulk" or loot stuff, or even end boss, that you may only receive if you have cleared it out.

Edited by Willbonney

The time limit would be key to ensure having enough miners for the job of clearing out the field.  Possibly some "hulk" or loot stuff, or even end boss, that you may only receive if you have cleared it out.

Agreed.  I'm thinking somewhere around 50% miners, 2 traders, and the rest as warriors.  12-18 players required.  

I had forgotten the "surprises" that maybe inside of an asteroid.  I started up a Terran Scout today,  and a handful of times, had the asteroid I was mining explode. Sometimes it did nothing to my ship, except weaken the shields. Another time, it actually disabled my ship, my shields were down from a couple of MOBs.  A third time, a critter spawned and disabled my ship. 

Interestingly enough, a couple of days ago I started a Progen Explorer. I don't recall having any of those issues in it's starting area.

But I didn't mind, as it made prospecting a tad more interesting.

Now maybe, if these things would also explode and give you a chance to recover a "hidden" artifact, like what you suggested. Maybe some metal junk, or other random tradeable item.

Maybe on some rare cases, how about a data cube with a Devs name on it, or a notable player, for a memorial, or a nod for their help?

Of case the item would be sold at a trade booth.

There is a chance, with pop-rocks, that you can actually mine what's inside of it.  Applies to hulks too, but I'm not sure exactly how that chance works out.  Look at the color of the roid or hulk, if it doesn't look right for it's level, it's a pop-rock.  Not sure how much you've played explorer toons in the past, but as you play more, it will become easier to notice the pop-rocks.   Pop rocks can also apply buffs or debuffs to your character.