What's the point of a Manes Refiner device?

jrichards

In Arx Spartoi Reclaimer Ort sells Manes Refiner devices (L2 - L6 which also have prospect skill).  There is also a L6 Manes Distiller (no clude what the difference between this and the other L6 device other than it does nothing (no effects are listed). In Live these devices were the only way to obtain mane essence.  However in the EMU this device appears useless since anyone can kill and loot manes.  I guess if you need to convert L2=>L6 then this would have some use but since everyone can loot these mobs I am a bit confused why these devices are still around. 

note: In Live onlye PS with this device equipped could farm manes for their resource.  Not really sure why since I didn't play a PS much but it would definately be cool if there was some gear, besides agrippa stuff, that actually used refined mane essence.

The PS could refine/distill it to a higher tier item, that traded for more xp/credits. The distilled version was used in some builds/missions needing it "distilled". Some of the PS gear, notably the higher levels of the refiner and the distiller required refined essence as a comp to build the device.

There was suppost to be some storyline about essence, CF services and the ancients being linked, but sunset came first. I mean what are manes? Some sort of energy entity all over the universe, were do they come from, what do we know about them other than essence and that they attack corporial beings? Are they somehow related to the oni...also a energy being? Are they larval forms of voltoi? What did the ancients know of them? All that is part of what a PS was tasked to do and call forward/improve the progen race.

• 2 months later...

In Live it required PS to use the device to create a L6 Reclaimed Manes Essence, a component of the Colloidal Magnetic Transmitter used in the OCD. Currently Reclaimed Manes Essence drops from L51 Splendid Manes bypassing the need for a PS to refine essence up to L6. Never owned a progen, but I too would like to see the Sentinel be able to have a need for these devices again.

• 1 month later...

With regard to the refining devices themselves, do they even work?  While continuing to flesh out the Item Turn-Ins page on the Net-7 Wiki, I was trying to gather the information on the various Manes Essences.  I purchased one of each level of these devices (except the distiller), but they appear to have no effect when equipped.  With nearly two stacks of Manes Essence in my hold, there was no option to refine any of it at the refine terminal; nor, did the devices have an effect when farming the essences.  I was only hitting manes up to 18, though, since my CL is woeful at the moment.

I lean towards the thoughts expressed by those who think that the use for this device should return.  It's good for each class to have things that are unique to them.  In the future it could be possible to have some devices, outside of the OCD and the mentioned better versions of the device, that require a PE to make the manes essence, refined, reclaimed, etc.  The drop could then be removed from Manes.  IMO each explorer should have things that are special to them, both in terms of storyline and in terms of things they can do, or build.   The other professions should each get something, over the long term, that's unique to them as well.

@Curis - Don't know if they work or not, but I think you have to have them equipped while you collect the manes essence.  I don't think they did anything to manes essence you already had collected.

I actually did have the device equipped while collecting them, and still only ever received the lvl 2 Manes Essence as loot.  Perhaps I didn't kill enough manes, or high enough level manes?.  I cannot remember exactly how these devices worked in EA Live, but I tried having it equipped both while farming the essences (hoping that it would let me loot higher level essence or that the lvl 2 essence would convert to a higher level when placed in my hold) as well as at the refine terminal, trying to treat the Manes Essences as though they were ores.

did you... with it installed see any other controls show up ...sort of like the launch a satellite or garbage mission?  Possibly activate it while the essence is showing in the loot window? or...activate it on a live manes? It has been a long time but I remember farming the higher essence way back when.

The only thing I remember about the essence is when you killed a Manes they dint have a corpse like other mobs, sometimes a yellow cloud appeared and you could tracktor it in,

then you installed whatever lvl device you needed the essence to be and refined it, dont rem how many you needed to refine though.

Hmm come to think of it i believe Rez has the right idea here.

Not entirely certain but i think the mechanic for essences was like this.

You killed the mane but instead of a corpse a gas cloud formed.

If you were a PS you could install the device and actually 'mine' that cloud for the essence.

If you didn't do it in like 10-15secs the cloud dissipated.

Hmm come to think of it i believe Rez has the right idea here.

Not entirely certain but i think the mechanic for essences was like this.

You killed the mane but instead of a corpse a gas cloud formed.

If you were a PS you could install the device and actually 'mine' that cloud for the essence.

If you didn't do it in like 10-15secs the cloud dissipated.

I wish I could remember.  This site seems to back that scenario up, at least to some degree:

"The PE device needed to make the reclaimed mane essence (3) is bought from a guy named Reclaimer Ort. Unsure where he is but PE can buy a lv3+ device that automatically refines mane essences as you tractor them in. The higher the lv device the higher the lv essence is refined into (and increases sell value). From the pics, it looks like a lv6 reclaimed essence is needed to make the Colloidal Magnetic Transmitter."

I also tried some searches on Archive.org's WayBack Machine.  I wasn't able to pull up archived snapshots of EA's official forums, unfortunately, but did just have a nice trip down memory lane looking through the snapshots of the forums on EBPortal.  I don't recall the names of any of the other fan sites at the time.

I believe the Devs has this bumped down in priority, as it is complicated to get everything to function correctly (modify inventory, or change a corpse to mine-able cloud for example).  I believe they still want to get it in game at some point.