Market Channel and You

The abbreviation thread made me think of how "PST" is something that should get used more. In comparison to Live, the market channel has turned into a place for private conversations which is annoying to be honest, as legit requests can get lost in spam.

"WTB: Lvl 5 Modely Y, pst"

"Oh I can make that for you"

"Ok where"

"F7, do you have parts"

"No I don't have parts, wut partz"

"Enbdatabase.com"

"check enbdb"

"ebdattabazes.com"

... 2 mins later

"ok I have parts where?"

"F7, what did you want again?"

"Lvl 5 model Y"

"Oh ok let me see if I have that"

... 1 min later

"I can't build that can someone else build it?"

"build what"

"wut?"

"Lvl 5 Model y"

"do you have parts?"

"I can build that, do you have parts?"

This conversation should have ceased to exist on market channel after "WTB: Lvl 5 model Y, pst". The PST means stop talking on market channel, and stop cluttering up the relevant requests that should be there. With a couple hundred people this isn't a huge problem, but if we start pushing 500-1000, you can't use the market channel as a place to have conversations, it just turns into a spam fest, and relevant market requests get lost.

With the slower levelling process, I'm expecting a lot more low/mid level builds will be relevant whereas people were likely more inclined to use vendor gear previously due to the short life span of gear. Keeping it clean should allow both buyers and sellers to have a more efficent place to do business.

General is a great place to chat about the weather, etc.

/2 cents.

The abbreviation thread made me think of how "PST" is something that should get used more. In comparison to Live, the market channel has turned into a place for private conversations which is annoying to be honest, as legit requests can get lost in spam.

"WTB: Lvl 5 Modely Y, pst"

"Oh I can make that for you"

"Ok where"

"F7, do you have parts"

"No I don't have parts, wut partz"

"Enbdatabase.com"

"check enbdb"

"ebdattabazes.com"

... 2 mins later

"ok I have parts where?"

"F7, what did you want again?"

"Lvl 5 model Y"

"Oh ok let me see if I have that"

... 1 min later

"I can't build that can someone else build it?"

"build what"

"wut?"

"Lvl 5 Model y"

"do you have parts?"

"I can build that, do you have parts?"

This conversation should have ceased to exist on market channel after "WTB: Lvl 5 model Y, pst". The PST means stop talking on market channel, and stop cluttering up the relevant requests that should be there. With a couple hundred people this isn't a huge problem, but if we start pushing 500-1000, you can't use the market channel as a place to have conversations, it just turns into a spam fest, and relevant market requests get lost.

With the slower levelling process, I'm expecting a lot more low/mid level builds will be relevant whereas people were likely more inclined to use vendor gear previously due to the short life span of gear. Keeping it clean should allow both buyers and sellers to have a more efficent place to do business.

General is a great place to chat about the weather, etc.

/2 cents.

/Signed

One thing I used to do in Live was (as the builder) Group invite my prospective clients so that we all have our own channel to chat on and plan what to do, who is coming, who is first, etc. instead of filling up the Market channel with bunk. :)

TooTall

Maybe it's a server community thing. Market channel on Galileo (as in, during Live) was typically the "general socialization with buying and selling on the side sometimes" channel.

What's a Galileo?!? (add Andramada eliteness here:_______):)

Linking to server pop is probably why there were regional differences, Andromeda, you'd get scolded for it :huh: the channel was busy enough as it was. It's also handy if you go afk for 10 mins, can come back, do a quick scan or Market to see if you missed anything, whereas with chatter stuff gets lost if it isnt' instantly addressed.

What's a Galileo?!? (add Andramada eliteness here:_______):)

Linking to server pop is probably why there were regional differences, Andromeda, you'd get scolded for it :huh: the channel was busy enough as it was. It's also handy if you go afk for 10 mins, can come back, do a quick scan or Market to see if you missed anything, whereas with chatter stuff gets lost if it isnt' instantly addressed.

In all honesty it depended on time of day, how busy things were, and how far off topic certain convo's went. If it wasn't busy and there wasn't much market chat a lot of the market regulars would have convo's. If it was busy OR if the chatter was too far off topic it was requested to be redirected.

I prefer keeping the non-market stuff off as well but not to be draconian about it - the player base ATM simply isn't so large that *some* extra chat is too much of a distraction. And answering "I can build that at F7, bring parts" is, IMO, not off-topic. "Help me complete this mission" and the like, however, is.

• Upvote 1

Maybe it's a server community thing. Market channel on Galileo (as in, during Live) was typically the "general socialization with buying and selling on the side sometimes" channel.

Same on Peggy tbh. Never really bothered me.

Yes, on Peggy, it was open forum chat on there(which can get very entertaining late night), but we also had enough sense to know if "LF DG Builder" came up, that idle chit chat on location for build, mats required, blah blah blah, was not on market channel but on /t....hate to say it, but Magoo/Kibby/others have entertained me since we have been back up and running on emulator.

I prefer keeping the non-market stuff off as well but not to be draconian about it - the player base ATM simply isn't so large that *some* extra chat is too much of a distraction. And answering "I can build that at F7, bring parts" is, IMO, not off-topic. "Help me complete this mission" and the like, however, is.

I like this common sense, +1. "I can build that" addresses the need and closes the loop.

even during live I think that a lot of the other channels were not monitored as closely and sometimes players went to market just to get a response... keep in mind that if you are in the "I am killing stuff" channel, people were not likely to respond cuz, well... they were killing stuff... while market people were just hangin in F7 or where ever and market people scan and watch the channels...

where during combat a lot of people lose track of chat altogether... i personally neva really minded any chat in any channel... unless the purpose of the chat was to destroy the channel (you know what I mean)..

:) who says the forums are not informitive!!

im a fairly new player and have never used market channel.

my tt was a pretty good builder and many times i would not mind building for a low/mid lvl player.

i did not realize to watch mkt channel for just this purpose.

as most prolly know , tt cannot build reactors, so mkt channel would work for me as well.

cool!

thank you all 8)

even during live I think that a lot of the other channels were not monitored as closely and sometimes players went to market just to get a response... keep in mind that if you are in the "I am killing stuff" channel, people were not likely to respond cuz, well... they were killing stuff... while market people were just hangin in F7 or where ever and market people scan and watch the channels...

where during combat a lot of people lose track of chat altogether... i personally neva really minded any chat in any channel... unless the purpose of the chat was to destroy the channel (you know what I mean)..

During combat in Live I turned off pretty much all chat chans except Broadcast, Local, Guild and Group. Too busy hitting the shield recharge button to monitor convo's! :)

Generally you have less than 200 players on at a given time, I would really not worry what chat channels are used for what at this time, or even if they are used at all. I think 1 or 2 channels should be able cover most everything, considering the playerbase. As the player base increases I am sure the channels use will be properly enforced.