Beam damage

Has anyone else noticed a significant drop in beam damage? I'm not talking about the beam damage falloff at +50% range. I'm just talking about a major drop in DPS overrall. Since the most recent patch it is taking me 6/7 more shots on target than it was pre-patch... and this makes me a sad panda

This was brought up in the beam range thread in the suggestion forum. I too know for sure that beam damage dropped for me when it wasn't supposed to, but Zackman tested it twice on a pre patch and post patch server and it showed as the same to him so I'm not really sure whats happening.

well, when zackman fires, the server dies, so I guess that's the same beam damage regardless, lol

has any support items with "boost beam damage" changed any? Are the numbers on the weapon itself the same? Otherwise it might be something that is no longer stacking. Or it may be borkedededed  :(

This was brought up in the beam range thread in the suggestion forum. I too know for sure that beam damage dropped for me when it wasn't supposed to, but Zackman tested it twice on a pre patch and post patch server and it showed as the same to him so I'm not really sure whats happening.

What might be happening is client not showing you correct range. You might be far according to server while you are seen at top of mob on your screen. That's why beam range thing is a bit odd. 

May be instead of damage reducal, they should just reduce absolutely ridicilous ranges for a beam on items. By redicilous = 6K+ range on a beam weapon. Beam range should never exceed Projectile range, never ever ever Missile ranges... Missiles going for 8K+ with range modifier items and there are beams out there with 8.5K range without any range modifier... Not to mention, missiles are slow, taking huge cargo space and pricey... what beams offer?

Edited by SiSL

I agree whole heartedly that achievable beam ranges needed bringing down. I was able to produce a beam range of 8.6k with DG+4 Proto 9s+Vindis Beam Focus (not that I'd ever actually use that setup but still...) 

But even at point blank something is definitely wrong!

Well beam range aside. I would just like to know if this is an intended drop in DPS overall... or like shadinaxx said is there an item buff or something similar that is no longer stacking/active/working that has affected damage output the way it has

Hello,

This is Angemon. (JD)

Tested beam damage on mobs that had no resists at 0 range, mid range, and max range and found the damage to be in near perfect calculation. I learned that the mob's radius is taken into account which allows for max damage to continue past exactly 50% range.

Test was a single Ghost's Edge beam (1089 damage) with L9 Skill (+200%), with critical hits ( +100% more damage). No other modifiers were used and the max range of the beam was 1.90K. Mob was a "Renegade Progen Princeps" L42 with no resists. Damage done versus mob's shield.

1089 * 3 * 2 = 6534 damage which is exactly what I hit for.

At .95 range (50% range) I was able to hit for the same amount of damage.

The same damage at 1.0k and 1.1k range.

At 1.2K I did 6155 damage showing the scaling reduction.

At 1.3K I did 5320 damage showing the scaling reduction.

At 1.9K (Max range), I did 3458 which is slightly greater than 50% beam damage(3267).  This test was done by using auto fire and being at 2.5k and moving in to let the beam hit exactly when in range to shoot.

Plasma was tested by another player (Mandythemurder) that confirmed the same results.

I did not test to see if other buffs like beam focus and enhance beam were working properly; I can only assume they are.

I did not test to see if the damage while using beam extension buffs or if the damage changed based on the mob to player distance changes. However, using plasma, I have never seen the initial ticks of damage change so I assume the damage is calculated at the time of firing and would not be affected by movement after the shot was made. 

Edited by secured2k

What might be happening is client not showing you correct range. You might be far according to server while you are seen at top of mob on your screen. That's why beam range thing is a bit odd. 

May be instead of damage reducal, they should just reduce absolutely ridicilous ranges for a beam on items. By redicilous = 6K+ range on a beam weapon. Beam range should never exceed Projectile range, never ever ever Missile ranges... Missiles going for 8K+ with range modifier items and there are beams out there with 8.5K range without any range modifier... Not to mention, missiles are slow, taking huge cargo space and pricey... what beams offer?

Tell that to Black Beards Ghost and his minions.

Speaking of beam damage, and buffs to weapon skill (beam handling), shouldn't that increase the damage done by beams in addition to their accuracy?  Shouldn't Missile Handling & Projectile Handling buffs do the same for their respective weapon types, since increased skill is supposed to also give a bonus to damage? 

Since L9 skill in any weapon gives 200% of base damage, to all weapon types, shouldn't L10 (effective) beam, missile, or projectile weapon skill give 225% of base damage?

I don't think anyone here is saying that beam damage should go beyond effective L10.  I was just saying that if you have effective L10 beam skill, due to beam handling buffs, shouldn't you get a bigger damage bonus than if you only have L9 beam skill, without the buff.  Also shouldn't the same apply to Missile & Projectile handling buffs as well?

I'm not opposed to an effective L10 cap on all skills.  It makes sense that one could buff skills beyond the maximum level otherwise there'd be no use for skill buffs on items, for players who have maxed the skill being buffed, but I also have no problem with a hard cap at some point so that said skill doesn't become too powerful.  (too powerful as in game-breaking)

The department of JBB (Jenquai Beam Bureau) has conducted a study, that 9 out of 10 Jenquai, use Beam related technology in or around their ships on a daily basis.  How will this effect beam product shock?  Will it take a hit?  

On another note, Jenquai Defenders have been having a hard time using government issued beams.

More tonight when we hear what the sector security offices in the Vega system have to say about the matter.  xD 

Another JD (ShadowWalker) claims that he knows how much damage he used to do and tested a single emerald devastator and noticed his damage was about 25% lower. Perhaps something else was changed (even if corrected).

Further testing on Enhance Beam Accuracy - Does not affect beam damage past level 9. It seems to be for accuracy only and may or may not be affected by the skill cap.

I'm not sure if this applied to the server before patch.

1 Ghost's Edge Beam @ 200% + Critical hits

6534 damage without any buffs

6534 damage with Aquila I (0.97 skill levels)

6534 damage with Aquila IX (5.23 skill levels)

Further testing shows that Beam Focus (Advanced Weapon Control System - 4%) and Enhance Beam (Intolerance Mk. VIII - 39.9%) do not stack as they should.

6534 - Base Damage

6621 - 4% AWCS

7403 - 39.9% Intolerance

7403 - 39.9 + 4% (AWCS + Intolerance)

The Aquila device is not supposed to raise the plain beam damage (no accuracy device is), but it will help reducing misses whenever you fight mob being much higher in level (this is where most misses occur). In this case the Aquila helps by cutting down misses effectively - finally resulting in more damage over time.

Shadow, your numbers are perfectly fine.

Intolerance:

Working as it should according to your numbers ( 1089 * 3,4 (3 skill, 0.4 intol) * 2 (crit) = 7405 (server is rounding floats)

AWCS:

You are misinformed here by thinking they should stack - they never did and never will since they are using the very same buff (BEAM_DAMAGE).

• Upvote 1

I'm no expert with numbers but i do notice it seems to take more shots to kill the same mob before the patch. Thats all i have to say. I'll just have to adapt once again. I do understand that beam range shouldn't be the same as missles or projectiles. I'll be using energy leech alot more now.

Is increase beam skill capped at 10? So the Aquila XIII with over 4 skill levels is no better than an Aquila II to reach skill 10 since my beam skill is 9?

Why are there two different buff names for BEAM_DAMAGE (Beam Focus vs Enhance Beam). This is why I thought they would stack. For such a small buff on Beam Focus with a different name, I would think it was originally meant to stack when it came out (same time turbo weapons came out and stacked with different amounts).

Do we have any idea what has caused this drop in DPs then? Was something broken before that was causing us to receive more DPs than intended and was fixed in the patch? I'm still clueless as to why my defenders pride used to hit for 4000 minimum base damage on cl58 voltoi, now I'm lucky if I hit 4009 on a critical + plasma debuff.. ?

Edited by FishJD