Group Gate For the Multiboxers- A Suggestion

Kindschi

I know the group gate is a very new thing (What maybe a little over a week?) but it was a feature that I liked alot since I Multibox and always have at least 2 logged in and normally they are grouped with each other and sometimes ill have all 3 comps running and have them grouped together for varies reasons. For me it saved quite a bit of time gating.. 3 Screens means 3x everything compared to one and it was nice to not have to repeat the gating feature 10x on 3 comps while moving from one hunting ground to another.

I would compare the group gate to the autofire option.. Aint it nice to only have to push the button once? 

I 100% agree and understand that some people were abusing the Group gate feature for explore XP and I knew it would only be a matter of time before something was done, what I did not expect was that the people who do multibox would be totally cut off from using the feature on two toons at 1 time.  Obviously you would like everyone to be at the computer 100% of the time while playing but it is nice when your in a group going from A to B and you have someone to do some of the work for you while you take a short break to eat,smoke, bathroom or whatever.

Not to mention that there are people here who play with other members in the same household who cant take advantage of the group gate feature now. I know I used to be one of those people who played this game in a house where someone else also played.

--

Is there anyway to configure a limit so that 2 or even 3 people in a group with the same IP can use this feature? That would cut down quite a bit on the amount someone could abuse the feature for explore XP while still allowing the multiboxers to take advantage of the feature while grouped with themselves.

Thanks,

WT

According to the patch notes it's supposed to be 2 now behind the same IP that can group gate.

My wife and I have found a different experience, however.  When we're grouped/formed and whichever of us is leader gates, the other gets a message "You cannot follow your group leader through this gate!". The leader still has the form selected on the other side fo the gate, though (LOVE THIS)  and the other only has to reform.

Just wanted to let the Devs know it's not working as it was listed to be in the patch notes.

According to the patch notes it's supposed to be 2 now behind the same IP that can group gate.

My wife and I have found a different experience, however.  When we're grouped/formed and whichever of us is leader gates, the other gets a message "You cannot follow your group leader through this gate!". The leader still has the form selected on the other side fo the gate, though (LOVE THIS)  and the other only has to reform.

Just wanted to let the Devs know it's not working as it was listed to be in the patch notes.

I read the patch notes and I also like you thought this meant 2 IP's.. but if you read it again you will see it says "Multi boxers are only allowed to group gate with one toon from the same IP".. This means 1 toon,  not 1 in addition to the group leader who also shares the same IP.

Example. If someone else is the leader and you and your wife are in the group and the leader gates, only one of you will group gate, the other will get the message about not being able to follow the leader through the gate.

But when your both in the same group and one of you are the leader then it counts the leader as the 1 allowed from the same IP.. therefore your wife puts you over your limit. The only way to take advantage of the group gate feature now while multiboxing is if your NOT the leader and both toons are 2 different groups, both will gate... which is just not pratical unless your doing a raid and you happen to group up a few gates from raid area.

The funny thing about the change is, it is in no way going to stop people from doing what it is supposed to stop, There are people who will continue as they were before this feature was put in last Tuesday. To me it was just more a convenience more than anything and won't stop my game play as I see fit.

Ahh thanks for the clarification, WhiteTrash.  I had it read as One leader and one non leader could be grouped.  Ah well.

The funny thing about the change is, it is in no way going to stop people from doing what it is supposed to stop, There are people who will continue as they were before this feature was put in last Tuesday. To me it was just more a convenience more than anything and won't stop my game play as I see fit.

Totally agree, Rossdie.

well, that really sucks, my husband & I "group" almost all the time, & because we are on the same IP, it isn't going to work for us????????????????

may as well put it back to the way it was before, less of  a hassle for everyone.

Edited by dragonrose

Face it, you nailed when you said its about people who abused it.

Maybe if some people wouldnt have been offering tours of newbie start sectors and faction restricted sectors, knowing full well that was an obvious exploit and not intended...

Maybe if some people wouldnt just make 5 trash alts, tour them really fast with the "new feature" and stop exploiting the explore xp that way...

Maybe if some people would stop finding every possible shortcut to cheat every single new feature that comes in...

Nothing would ever have to be toned down.  Thats how the cookie crumbles folks, we had serious exploiting of the system,  Inconvenient little change maybe, and the husband wife thing WAS brought up by me at the DEV meeting about it, specifically.  I did ask that it was taken into consideration for actual couples/families playing.  Could still be another tweak, but frankly the feature was designed for actual groups of actual warm bodies, not for one person's speed leveling.

• Upvote 1

It's not that big of a deal to hit a button, really.

Just sucks that there's dumbarses even on our little emu that do whatever they can to spoil stuff for the rest of us.

I was gonna rep you, Stanig for your "one widdle button" post but it disappeared, I see now you don't know why either, so I'll rep you here instead :P

Yeah, apparently my posts from my android phone werent sticking.  Happens sometimes. 

I really dont mean to be abrasive about it either, at the meeting when this was discussed I was one of the guys that raised my hand and said "what about couples, dad/son, etc that all play behind the same router" and the reply was they will prolly just have to hit the button... and since they are likely at the keys that shouldnt be too much of a hassle.

When ever I need a good laugh I come here and read what the DEVs  have done to this game and it never fails lol

Lets see if I understand this, six strangers can form a group and go on a tour and five of them can go afk, while Joe Schmo's family has to sit there and hit the gate button, right?

Good job DEVs, stick it to them stinking families that thought a game of EnB would be a nice way to spend the evening lol

What for Gods sake are you guys smoking any way.......................

When ever I need a good laugh I come here and read what the DEVs  have done to this game and it never fails lol

Lets see if I understand this, six strangers can form a group and go on a tour and five of them can go afk, while Joe Schmo's family has to sit there and hit the gate button, right?

Good job DEVs, stick it to them stinking families that thought a game of EnB would be a nice way to spend the evening lol

What for Gods sake are you guys smoking any way.......................

Yeah good job, because without us you wouldnt be playing the game anyway,

Oh right, you forgot that part didnt you.

Oh wait, its you.  When I say play the game, I mean use a multibox assistance program that sends commands to every single client you have running at the same time so you can effectively clone your toons into multiples.  As in your case, four JDs all operating identically.  Thats not a total slap in the TOS's face or anything...  Yeah you know, because thats not one of the main reasons all the raids are so hard now, guys like you.

• Downvote 1

That was back in st4 and we did what we did cause there where like 50 peeps on and half of them where afk, this is live and nobody wants to solo a raid, stop blaming a few that multibox and make the game right so we can keep the new blood in, nobody wants to go back to them days with 100 hard cores doing the same thing day in and day out. 

Maybe so, but a ton of the fixes to difficulty/mobskills/seecloak etc, were done so a choice few could not sit and camp every single raid with 2-3 jds or a multibox.  You might think that just because there are more people that it would stop, but we both know it would not if mechanics had not been put in place to shut it down.

why wouldn't you add a check at gating in the code, to see if anyone in the group was restricted to gate and then either not allow that person to gate or better yet not even show the gate prompt to the group leader until the group member not allowed in leaves the group. I understand it's likely a tad more work coding wise, but if the system is set-up to do that for solo players it can't be unreasonable to code it that way for groups.

this would fix your good idea and not interfere with multiboxers/ family players and thier gameplay.

not to start something evil here, but the fix you created is still exploitable, any guild can take it's members to all the new player  sectors and bbw as long as none of them are multiboxing or from same ip's. i fail to see how what you did will stop this. see above for correct solution.

there already is a check in place for faction, that was done in ADDITION.  it was two separate issues that needed fixed. 

I disagree, the issue was with groups gating to  areas where a group member couldn't normally go. this has nothing to do with multiboxing or multi account ip's, that part of the fix was unnecesary if you fixed the other part. making it so my wife and I can't group gate, but any 2 other players can is just wrong. better to just remove the whole group gate idea,  then to single out a group of players from same ip's.

People were making throw away toons to tour before this feature... Honestly I don't see what the big deal is that it just makes it a little bit easier for them to do it. I can understand the issue with people going to starter sectors, but with that fix it shouldn't be an issue anymore.

My wife and I were real impressed with the group gate and group formation feature. Something real creative the dev's implemented from scratch. Sad to see we will no longer be able to use it.

Surprised that it saves so much time for multi-boxers as to be considered game breaking, but I'm sure you have reviewed all the numbers before making a change like this.

As a thought, could you make a level check after the IP check? For example let 100+ level characters through even if on the same IP? That would prevent all the scratch toons from gating through and exploiting the functionality, and still let family groups go through.

Thanks,

• Upvote 2

I don't see why you guys make such a big deal.  Yes I multibox, cuz I want to play all professions (in Live, I never got to play a JD or TT), and I am a solo player most of the time, unless my kid is done with his homework :-) .  I don't like the change, but it is just an inconvenience, no big deal for me.  I just have to add 2 more clicks at the gate (1 for gating and 1 for regroup). 

I don't like the change, because the exploit is really not a game breaker IMHO, but it is a really an inconvenience for me.  With that said, I can live with it.

My wife and I were real impressed with the group gate and group formation feature. Something real creative the dev's implemented from scratch. Sad to see we will no longer be able to use it.

Surprised that it saves so much time for multi-boxers as to be considered game breaking, but I'm sure you have reviewed all the numbers before making a change like this.

As a thought, could you make a level check after the IP check? For example let 100+ level characters through even if on the same IP? That would prevent all the scratch toons from gating through and exploiting the functionality, and still let family groups go through.

Thanks,

I think that's only constructive idea here...

Level check between highest and lowest member of the group...

Either allow gating 100+ characters OR

Allow gating if highest & lowest OL difference is less than 30... OR

Tweak for allowing max three or two IP's... for couples & such

Edited by SiSL

What about going one step further and checking the accounts linked? if the main forum account is the same as the other accounts, dont let them multi gate, but if the main forum account is differant, then the IP shouldnt matter.

Granted, this may lead to people creating multiple forum accounts, but those you can track down and ban, give warnings to those abusing the system, and solve the problem at the source

Edited by Shadinaxx

Thanks Stanig for putting in a good word during the meeting about the couples who play who can now no longer use the feature.. Maybe you can put in a good word about some of the ideas posted here on ways to help curb people from exploiting the feature.

Thanks everyone for the ideas on ways to adjust the feature, hopefully something good will happen and we can go back to enjoying it.