Suggestion - Tank

Shadinax2

I have been raid leading for many years, some times I do it professionally (get paid). Most of the time, I am a tank, and fulfilled my role as a tank as offtank and main tank. This being said, I understand tanking mechanics in a variety of situations, from sword and board, evasion, fps, MMO and 1 player aspects. 

My suggestion: give a new skill to warriors (PW, TE and JD) that has 7 ranks that gives the following effects:

Rank 1 and 2: Grants all your attacks to cause 200% more threat to the effected mob(s)/target(s). Ability remains active for 120 seconds.

Rank 3: Grants all your attacks to cause 220% more threat to the effected mob(s)/target(s) as well as the attacks/effects of the targetted group member. Ability remains active for 120 seconds.

Rank 4: Grants all your attacks to cause 250% more threat to the effected mob(s)/target(s) group as well as the attacks/effects of the targetted group member. Ability remains active for 120 seconds.

Rank 5 and 6: Grants all your attacks to cause 270% more threat to the effected mob(s)/target(s) group as well as the attacks/effects of the targetted group member. Ability remains active for 120 seconds.

Rank 7: Grants all your attacks to cause 300% more threat to the effected mob(s)/target(s) group as well as the attacks/effects of all group members within 2250. Ability remains active for 120 seconds.

Or, a similer ability to transfer a portion of the threat being generated by other group members to the tank. Make it an ability with a short cast time and a short duration, so that the tank has to actively DO something to maintain aggro control, and gives the healers a way to manage their threat output.

Edit: wanted to add in to make it somewhat energy intensive to use, so the tank cant just spam the ebility all the time an have it easy sauce. I feel this would make it more required for group balance to be paid closer attention to by the raid leader(s) as well as a more engaging experiance for all aspects of the raid encounter.

Edited by Shadinaxx

Sounds like a good idea.  The energy use isn't an issue, since there are support classes whose job it is to help with that.  Give it as L7 on the PW, and L5 on the TW.  The JW shouldn't get it as they're glass cannons who aren't really made to tank.

Sounds like a good idea.  The energy use isn't an issue, since there are support classes whose job it is to help with that.  Give it as L7 on the PW, and L5 on the TW.  The JW shouldn't get it as they're glass cannons who aren't really made to tank.

I thought about that, and I decided to include the JD in the suggestion for this reason: the PW and TE should be the roles of main tanks, but the JD is ideal for a support tank, or to be able to take a sacraficial hit (cloak would have to cancel the threat generation buff). Essentially, you would have to put the JD in the group with lesser aggro gaining classes, like JE's and TS, PS, so that in the event that they DO take top aggro, the JD takes the hit, who should be more equipped to handle the dmg.

JW is good for burst damage, a good hybrid of firepower & support, and pretty good on energy, but I don't see much tank in a class with only L8 shields and no damage control skill.  I do think your idea is overall a good idea, and even see one other possibility.  The PT gets the skill as a unique skill, and casts it on the warriors.  Might be easier to convince the devs to do it that way, since the PT has no unique skills other than the ability to build Jenquai Restricted reactors, and has one fewer skill than all the other classes.

See this is a Topic we need.

The JD as a Third string Tank is a Good idea. 

I have used the JD as a tank many times. (quite Spa :) )

The Psionic Shield based combat works well as a Jenquai tank tactic, unfortunately with the Combat Cloak taken out of the equation, DPS suffers greatly.

Also the activation time for the Psionic shield takes too long to get it re-applied, while fighting third string in a End-game boss fight, its too long. Just saying.

I agree that there needs to be some sort of (new?) aggression grabber to get the Aggro instantly off of the Healer(s). Increasing the Threat of the Warrior(s) skill or Device (Hint) is one way to go.

But my first thought honestly was too have the "Healer threat" notched down periodically from patch to patch until a more manageable Aggro balanced was obtained.

As a JD tanking, Summons and Fold Space (See IdrisJD) has proven to be Excellent crowd control tactics and Temporary aggro grabber.

But the JD is still only able to take One hit, maybe, maybe two, then he is left to die or cloak and pass on the Aggression to another group member.

Since JD is a beast for alpha strike aggro, there could be some merit to bursty snap aggro gains. Fold space, I use on my seeker a LOT while attached to my wing as a PW to thin out the crowd. I love it when jens use it end game. My initial thoughts for a JD as support tank, is mainly as adds control, group summons, fold space, ping pong galore. They CAN take a few hits with a couple good healers and if there are say, 2 groups with a JD tank, they can support eachother quite effectively. 

Also to note, a 3rd strong JD tank can be used in a main tank group, just the buffs wont overlap.

Terrel: I like the idea of the PT as well, buI have another idea on that;

The PT have another "environmental shield" similer to the castable shields the JE, TS and PS get, BUT! this shield absorbs a % of dmg at the cost of a % of reactor capacity, only castable on group members (to prevent greifing). As the ranks increase, it absorbs slightly more at a cost of slightly less.The reactor cost would hurt the TE just as much as the PW, since it should be a % of the total cap, and would require a careful balance of buffs, gearing and timing to maintain the tanks' reactor enough to perform their duties.

I can see that the ideal main tank raid group setup would be a PW or TE, TT, TS, PT and 2 more of any healer class. With the above mentiioned suggestions, this would provide reacter buffs to anyone taking damage, plenty of heals, and the appropriate buffs with the highest threat generating classes to feed the Tank with threat so others can do their thing. For encounters like GoBB that do 6 bagillion dmg every 60 seconds, you would need at least two of these groups, so you could tank swap.

That's a pretty cool PT idea, damage mitigation.  Agree with you on Fold Space, I think that skill is very underrated.  Love it on all Jenquai, used it a lot in Origins to solo things with my JE.  Was good for avoiding damage against mobs that had been hit with a Coma device.  They would still try to move towards you while blinded, but they wouldn't fire if they couldn't see you due to your low signature & their reduced scan range.  Death by 1000 cuts to the enemy.  Worked very good on Voltoi & Manes, they had fairly poor scan range in Origins, with the possible exception of the Deviants.  An extra JE to feed energy to the tank would help, plus the JT's Reactor Optimization skill, which increases Reactor Cap & Recharge.

The PT have another "environmental shield" similer to the castable shields the JE, TS and PS get, BUT! this shield absorbs a % of dmg at the cost of a % of reactor capacity, only castable on group members (to prevent greifing). As the ranks increase, it absorbs slightly more at a cost of slightly less.The reactor cost would hurt the TE just as much as the PW, since it should be a % of the total cap, and would require a careful balance of buffs, gearing and timing to maintain the tanks' reactor enough to perform their duties.

Yeaa, No.

When the Jenquai Seeker was introduced He had the Psionic Shield and the JSeeker's Psionic shield is part of Earth and Beyond's original game Doc as another JS skill.

If anything the Jenquai Seeker should get the Psionic Shield again, for what you are suggesting Shadinaxx.

In the Secondary or Third String tanking group a JD(s) and a JS(s) could in fact spam the Psionic shield on the group tank and use the Fold Space skill for crowd control

As of latest Patch notes, Deflects and buffs Raised to +72 from +50 (If I understand the wording correctly)

Rather than adding new skill, Enrage might be activatable, disactivable skill to provide suggestions in the original post. Jenquai defenders may not even like to tank with L8 shields, so that's why I'm still point out to Enrage... 

Edited by SiSL

Enrage being a toggled skill would work too, but wouldn't allow for area aggro for the PW unless they give the PW area enrage like the TE has. Only issue I would have with that, is with it's current setup, even if it had a constant reacter drain, there'd be no "skill" to it, just turn it on an keep your reacter full. You could multibox the tank by setting the skill to "on" then tabbing to your other toons. Makes for playing a tank class for those of us that LIKE to tank, very boring, and not very engaging.