Channel cop

A few thoughts on players reminding other players to take OOC conversations out on new Player or Market channels... Isn't it better to be reminded by someone you can yell at and call all sorts of names with no fear of getting banned?

If a GM or a Dev reminds you and you feel the urge to "comment" you could buy a few days in time out. :) Either way it isn't such an imposition to switch to OOC when reminded.  

Just saying... 

• Upvote 2

Channel cops are the main reason I only talk in guild or broadcast.  All other channels are closed.  If I need to buy something or ask a question I turn them on.  Then turn them off quickly after I get what I need.  General chat should be general chat.  I never will understand why people try to dictate what others are talking about in a general chat channel.  

Instead of asking people to take their conversations to another channel, (Witch wouldn't make any sense at all do to the fact its a "General" conversation on the general channel)  I would suggest, if you do not want to see people having a conversation about things you are not interested in on the general channel, then YOU should leave the general channel. 

I would hope I'm not the only one with such logical thinking.  However, I make no attempt to reach out to the community ingame ever, do to channel cops.  So now it is not my concern.  The only community I'm concerned with is my guild.  We talk about whatever we want without worrying about a GM or Dev telling us to take it else ware.    

Its annoying, its rude, and its a self defeating hurtle to an online community.   

What is even more rude, spotlore, is when someone is in market channel trying to buy something and some random convo scrolls them off screen every time they post so no one responds.

What is rude as well is some babble in NP chat, when there is a new player asking questions and they are getting zero answers because someone wants to talk about how crap EA was.

At the end of the day the rules exist for a reason, obey them and everything is fine.

NP = New Player help. 

Market = Buying and selling goods as well as buying services (taxi, and so on)

General = Anything else game related

OOC = Anything else not game related

• Upvote 3

Ive got no issues with the odd line of chat in the wrong channel, but when players flood the market or NP channels with none NP or Market chats, I will ask them to take it to either general or OCC.

The different Chat channels are there for a reason.. 

Think of it like this:

You are in a theatre watching a movie you shelled out to see, then someone laughs at a funny script line, or gasped at something scary, or yells watch out...the murderer is behind the door! Thats not annoying....they too are enjoying the movie and its a one time thing.

But what if they sat behind you and started discussing the storyline with someone else? Or pulled out a cell phone and started holding a conversation? Would you SHHHH! them? Give them dirty looks? Perhaps ask them to take the conversation elsewere?

There is a time and a place for things, the occasional comment that isn't channel specific isn't so bad...but like the movie theatre, when your commments are interupting other movie patrons enjoyment of the show......you got to move it elsewere or shut up, they are starting to shhh you, and glare...do they have to get the manager also before you get a clue?

Spotlore has found what works for them, by adhering to guild and general chats they are policing their own convos, by only entering the other channels on a case by case basis it helps him/her from "slipping up".

I would make one note..General is anything none specific game related, if you are discussing some starlets sexual preferences, or what politco has screwed the public over, or even the global warming hoax, thats not a general channel item, that is O.ut O.f C.ontext channel, were as long as you aren't violating the TOS rules concerning profanity or harrassment you can discuss anything on earth (or beyond! :))

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...
I have no doubt I'll be flamed for his comment in mass but t the expense of speaking my mind when I know others share my feelings if not completely then partially. Virtually nobody uses OOC or general. You can argue they do but unless a dev can come here and show me some actual numbers proving otherwise it's dead based off total pop. People use market and New player chat primarily outside of guild. Market is understandable but new player is considered by most to be a global universal chat Chanel by many.

Virtually ALL mmo's use se sort of global or worldwide chat or zone chat. You can argue that, that's general or ooc but they are failed efforts IMO.

My PERSONAL feelings are to get rid of ooc and general and merge them into a global channel separate from new player. I've played very few mmos where someone couldn't talk about Obama and still get the answer to a question in the same channel simotaneously. People want to be where the action is and all the people. Yes people could ALL log on general or ooc but they won't. Its.annoying having to open 50 channels for 50 diff purposes.

Furthermore you "channel cops" are just making issues 10x worse and more blown up every time you decide to play GM then people get pissed or lash back and a small thing gets blown into something far worse. Once someone mentions it, you don't.need 20 diff people chiming in saying it also. Mention it once then report andmove on if it continues. Most times the one doing the policing is far more annoying or being disruptive than the original person while feeling like "the hero".

I personally once again think the fact that new player has to constantly be policed and reminded is a.clear indicator the chat system and setup could use some love and could be changed. I know people are scared of.change and instantly think.No how about you just follow the rules but.mmos are all about change and trying new things and improving on old designs.

Why not try a global channel and see. Yes there will be annoying or bad people but they exist now there is no difference. You can't stop them no matter what system you implement, report and.move on. Don't turn it into a.flamefest everytime.

I've also seen players make these type of suggestions in channel and.complain about how boring and serious.chat is. I've seen them banned on the spot while not even being offensive or rude and for a first.time offense in chat rather than being directed to the appropriate response place or warned. While I love the devs and gms primarily as a whole I find there is a lot of power abuse at times. Yes its there game and its free and.they can do what they want. I hear that argument from the fan boys 24-7 but the fact they want to bring in new players and grow a population and run their game lmost as if a.company would with rules and regulations etc tells me there should be a more professional approach to the way they handle discipline and less about personal quarrels or vendettas against players that upset them. I even read some of their forum posts and sometimes in their replies it feels as if they lash out in anger at the.communities responses and suggestions from time to time.

Community is being preached on this game and togetherness.and comradery and.playing with your fellow man vs everything being handed to us on the database etc.but there.are.times I feel like this game is run more as.a.dictatorship. Just my personal feelings and I know many if not most will disagree.

I also feel like in the 2 months or so I've been playing a lot of people are leaving due to boredom or unhappiness. It feels like we lose more than we gain from my stand point but the numbers.may say otherwise.

TL:DR. I would like to see a global chat channel and devs and Gms to act more professional and business like and less personal and for lack of a better word "emo".

Also I apologize for the tremendous amount of typos, spacing fail and.random periods etc. I'm on my.cell and the auto fill isn't setup right yet and on the Fritz hopefully its mostly legible

Oh just a quick follow up since I can't edit my post from my phone one suggestion I had might be maybe have everyone start off in new player chat till say OL 30-50 then have it switch to a.global chat.and disable new player chat. This would allow new player to be kept primarily noobs and the majority can have global when they are no longer noobs. But keep the new player.channel able.to be toggled in channels if someone wishes to go back after say 30 or help others. That's one suggestion from what I've seen many mmos do

We need the older players in New Player chat to answer the questions.  Players don't know all the answers by level 50.  There are still 100 levels of questions left.   :-)

Maybe general should be on by default, I don't think it is currently,

We all get carried away with off topic conversations occasionally.  But we should be mature enough to take a gentle reminder and not get emotional about it.  Just move the conversation or end it.

I have no doubt I'll be flamed for his comment in mass but t the expense of speaking my mind when I know others share my feelings if not completely then partially. Virtually nobody uses OOC or general. You can argue they do but unless a dev can come here and show me some actual numbers proving otherwise it's dead based off total pop. People use market and New player chat primarily outside of guild. Market is understandable but new player is considered by most to be a global universal chat Chanel by many.

Virtually ALL mmo's use se sort of global or worldwide chat or zone chat. You can argue that, that's general or ooc but they are failed efforts IMO.

My PERSONAL feelings are to get rid of ooc and general and merge them into a global channel separate from new player. I've played very few mmos where someone couldn't talk about Obama and still get the answer to a question in the same channel simotaneously. People want to be where the action is and all the people. Yes people could ALL log on general or ooc but they won't. Its.annoying having to open 50 channels for 50 diff purposes.

Furthermore you "channel cops" are just making issues 10x worse and more blown up every time you decide to play GM then people get pissed or lash back and a small thing gets blown into something far worse. Once someone mentions it, you don't.need 20 diff people chiming in saying it also. Mention it once then report andmove on if it continues. Most times the one doing the policing is far more annoying or being disruptive than the original person while feeling like "the hero".

I personally once again think the fact that new player has to constantly be policed and reminded is a.clear indicator the chat system and setup could use some love and could be changed. I know people are scared of.change and instantly think.No how about you just follow the rules but.mmos are all about change and trying new things and improving on old designs.

Why not try a global channel and see. Yes there will be annoying or bad people but they exist now there is no difference. You can't stop them no matter what system you implement, report and.move on. Don't turn it into a.flamefest everytime.

I've also seen players make these type of suggestions in channel and.complain about how boring and serious.chat is. I've seen them banned on the spot while not even being offensive or rude and for a first.time offense in chat rather than being directed to the appropriate response place or warned. While I love the devs and gms primarily as a whole I find there is a lot of power abuse at times. Yes its there game and its free and.they can do what they want. I hear that argument from the fan boys 24-7 but the fact they want to bring in new players and grow a population and run their game lmost as if a.company would with rules and regulations etc tells me there should be a more professional approach to the way they handle discipline and less about personal quarrels or vendettas against players that upset them. I even read some of their forum posts and sometimes in their replies it feels as if they lash out in anger at the.communities responses and suggestions from time to time.

Community is being preached on this game and togetherness.and comradery and.playing with your fellow man vs everything being handed to us on the database etc.but there.are.times I feel like this game is run more as.a.dictatorship. Just my personal feelings and I know many if not most will disagree.

I also feel like in the 2 months or so I've been playing a lot of people are leaving due to boredom or unhappiness. It feels like we lose more than we gain from my stand point but the numbers.may say otherwise.

TL:DR. I would like to see a global chat channel and devs and Gms to act more professional and business like and less personal and for lack of a better word "emo".

Also I apologize for the tremendous amount of typos, spacing fail and.random periods etc. I'm on my.cell and the auto fill isn't setup right yet and on the Fritz hopefully its mostly legible

I'm not sure why you think you'd get flamed for stating your mind, perhaps I've missed a precedent around here or summat. At any rate, allow me to retort. :)
I'm sure we could track how many people had that channel turned on pretty easy like, since we have to tell the chat which way to go and all so that all those people (and only those people) see it, since many of the others are global channels that stretch to anyone and everything connected that is also subscribed to those channels. Oftentimes, people will be subscribed to OOC even though they won't speak on it. Me for example, I keep all channels subscribed when i'm in. Admittedly, I am not a 'player' as it were. I'll think about setting something like that up, but in the meantime, let me continue.

You make a sweeping generalization in assuming that "People use market and New player chat primarily outside of guild. Market is understandable, but new player is considered by most to be a global universal chat Chanel by many." You are using uncertain terminology to specify the population you're covering for and you are equating another equally purpose driven channel to being above the other which doesn't make any sense to me. Can you explain why one chat channel would be different than another in that its rules are mutable? Why do you make this leap or further why does the population make this leap?

The virtual global channel in our case is OOC. Fancy that. ;) For what its worth though, i'd like to see the proof behind the statement that we banned a player for a first time offense without ANY notification, because that would be a GM I would make sure wasn't here anymore. Unfortunately, they are required to keep notes when they take any actions on your accounts and every action they do is logged. :)

Our plans are to grow as we grow. We are not ambitious nor wanting thousands as yet, but that may change in the relatively near future. There is no power abuse taking place, or if there is report it because there are checks and balances for everything that handle the things that go on around here.

Regarding the population, you fail to note our historical figures since we've had a public server and even internally as the dev team. As the world warms up outside (and its starting to!) we see less of the people playing, and less people developing. I know that there has been some boredom starting to brew lately, I've heard. We've got things cooking for near future.

Oh just a quick follow up since I can't edit my post from my phone one suggestion I had might be maybe have everyone start off in new player chat till say OL 30-50 then have it switch to a.global chat.and disable new player chat. This would allow new player to be kept primarily noobs and the majority can have global when they are no longer noobs. But keep the new player.channel able.to be toggled in channels if someone wishes to go back after say 30 or help others. That's one suggestion from what I've seen many mmos do

Sure we could, and probably even could do it somewhat quickly but why should we have to write a line of code to prevent someone from just choosing to be a good player and obeying the rules? You are aware of the rules, the proverbial "you" as in someone guilty of taking a channel careening out of control, and choose to break them when you enter. Just cut it off without requiring us to work at ways to prevent you from being a decent human being, we do enough trying to account for everything you could do unexpectedly within the games mechanics already, after all. For free and all that, yeah?

That being said, I think we're pretty rational about things, although in all my time I must admit, that ("Emo") is one thing I have never been called until now.

As a suggestion there, like reminder you have used for "exploits" megan message, there might be some tooltips for especially new players randomly on their logon like "Did you know General chat channel is for in-game discussions for established players and OOC is for anything outside of the game? " or some info about how to set channels accordingly some tool tips like that...

Dislike the idea of forcing any player outside of new players, because new players are there to learn from other players... But reminders like that will actually make them curious about exploring client / chat / message options if they have not done before them or so...

Edited by SiSL

I have an opinion on this also:  most of the time new player chat is used for that, helping new players, BUT sometimes people, for one reason or another prefer to make jokes, answer a question with a smart ass remark, etc.  that's all well & fine, BUT again, it gets out of control & the poor new player sometimes does not get the correct answer because the original question was lost in the smart ass remark.  Personally it annoys the hell out of me, when I see a NEW player, someone who never played the game before, trying to get information & can't do so, because some one thinks they are a wise guy.  and sometimes the wise guys get carried away & start using foul language, or start arguments about who knows best what is right for a new player.  My suggestion to new players is to do their skill missions, & work in their home sector until they get all their skills, then venture out to explore nearby sectors.  To send a new player to VG, VC or even odin's to up their combat is a stupid suggestion, especially if they never played the game before.  that would discourage me if I was told to just go out & KILL, KILL, KILL as a warrior.  As a new player, you are NOT a warrior yet; you are learning the game & the community , especially the "old" player should be there as guides, and need to remember that not everyone played this game when it first came out in 2002 or whenever: I did not play the original, but my husband was here to guide me, as well as other players. 

I think anything that does not have to do with the game should be taken to OOC, & not even to general chat.  game chat channels should be specifically for game chat, not your opinion on EA, politics, religion .your sex life, movies, music or what you had for breakfast, lunch ore dinner; cuz frankly I don't want to hear any of it.

that's my opinion, thanks for reading.

Rose

Thanks for taking the time to reply Kyp. I can understand many of the things you said and understand what you meant in regards to what I wrote and appreciate it. I also wasn't "outing" devs as a whole I just know there have been a few instances where I personally have witnessed what I believed to be power abuse or unprofessional ism from the staff at times in game (I wont throw names out there in puiblic). That being said I wouldn't know who to report it to as how do I know using the in game features via help isn't reporting it to the offender himself. Also I while true I may not have all the facts and there could be special circumstances surrounding the event im not aware of when I make my personal decision about whats going on.... but that's off topic to a degree.

As for the chat thing I don't have the numbers. And no, I do not speak for the community or even the masses. If I made it seem that way in my previous post that was an error on my part. I am speaking only on my own personal experiences solely and what I see. From MY perspective I just felt the channels could use some tuning or changes and could be made better and that the current OOC and General usage was very little to non existant. Once again I dont have numbers or fact is just from my high play time and what I see/view.

There are many times I see people post in new player or market and then the channel cops come in or a dev and tell them
take it to OOC  (which by the rules they absolutely should). Then the moment they do the channels go dead. Completely.... for hours sometimes even. And I see quite a few people make a troll comment and go nice now chats dead.

I was just trying to come up with some constructive ideas for changes vs bitching how lame chat is and that I hate personally having to turn on 50 channels for 50 different purposes (clearly exaggerating but you get the idea). Take em or leave em. Just ideas and if mine suck hopefully players could offer up something better. Or maybe I'm truly the only one who cares or thinks about the chat stuff and I'm alone in my endevors and thats fine to. Personally I'm happy you replied at all at least it reinforces that you listen and care even if you may not agree.

I also agree with your point that this is so far down on the totem pole as far as in game concerns right now and you devs have tremendously more important matters and fixes at hand. I just figured this would be an easy fix as you said it would be if you did make a change to it someday and that it was more food for thought then omg i want it now!

P.S. When i said "emo" i was referring to one dev in particular and not you. I have a bad habit of generalizing when I really mean someone or something in specific. Apologies for that. Thanks for replying...

No problem, I understand, I was just using it to point out some flaws in the argument with the way it was being made, that's all.

I'm very aware of many more things than people think at times and everything you guys send through the Advocate i pay attention to. We try to address them and take care of them unless the offered ideas would cause damage to balance or something like that but of course we are human and as such make errors at times.

I'm all for good constructive ideas, but its often a good idea to re-read your post and consider how it would sound if this was something talking to you and how you would react. I'm long since numb to about every sort of abuse (I have worked in IT related fields for several years, after all ;) ) so it doesn't really bother me. Our rules are there to keep the game as close to a family friendly environment as possible.

Dislike the idea of forcing any player outside of new players, because new players are there to learn from other players... But reminders like that will actually make them curious about exploring client / chat / message options if they have not done before them or so...

Yes, someone pitched it to me once before as a solution and I noted the same thing. Its hard to see all sides of something unless you're truly objective. :) This is a big part of the reason I don't get in and play as much as some of the other guys, and when I DO play, I make sure nobody outside of dev staff knows its me. :)

My question would be: "What can we, as players do to deal with this, freeing the devs to do more important stuff"?

In Live, my guild had few hard and fast rules... But one of them was, if a guild officer saw you in New player chat, telling someone that they were a "stoopid noob", or harassing new players in any way, while wearing our Guild tag, that was it.  If they were feeling really tolerant, or they knew and liked you, you might get a warning ONCE.  If they weren't, you just found yourself outside the guild.

That, my friends and neighbors.. Is called "self policing'.  Face it, you probably take it much better when your friends whisper to you that you look stupid, rather than feeling threatened by a dev.  That's normal.  Well, what I'm suggesting is be a friend to more people.  If someone is out of line, tell them so. I know we've all seen the guy who tells us "we just can't handle his awesomeness". and yes, a GM may have to deal with that.  But for our friends and guildmates (if they truly value our friendship), a quiet word like "hey, that's not cool, and we don't do that here", can be very effective.

I know that not everyone is in a guild, and some guilds may not care about their image.  But if we can keep ourselves, and our guildies and friends in line, it helps to set a tone.  If someone is annoying to me, I generally ask them to be cool once (in a tell, not publicly). Sometimes, I wind up having a really nice conversation with someone, sometimes I wind up with someone new on my ignore list. 

I suggest:  Take it OUT of the public forum (Send them a Tell).  Be polite.  Understand that elsewhere, being rude IS socially acceptable, and they may not yet know we are not looking for that environment.  If it doesn't work, don't try to teach a pig to sing.  It's a waste of your time, and it annoys the heck out of the pig.

These are my thoughts and suggestions. Feel free to adopt or not.  Your mileage may vary, no warranty expressed or implied.

Signing off,

Sevin Dragoon

It should go that way dragon. But like you said not everyone is in a guild and often I find the trouble makers are unguilded from my personal experiences. Plus some people are great people but can still lose their cool and slip up time to time. I've seen dev's and long time vets who are generally the best of the best of the community around the clock lose their cool before and lash out or go off on people before. Sometimes people just hit a nerve. It would be great if there were some voting system or something in place where everytime there was an offensive player on if enough people typed a command to vote against that player say 20 people he could be muted for an hour etc. And do like a community watch online type of deal. Wishful thinking and probably far more coding than its worth.

I'll use myself as an example. I'm in a respected guild. Most people know and like me within my guild and I've never had a problem with anyone or anything till the other day. I was in a bad mood and someone said the wrong thing to me at the wrong time and I completely lost my cool and flipped out on the guy in chat and called him a few cuss words and dont him he shouldnt be telling everyone how they should play there game and what they can and can't say when it comes to personal opinion and views about the game. I hate "fan boys" whos basis for everything is the game is FREE therefore nobody should ever offer constructive criticism or offer advice to improve upon things just shut up sit there and enjoy the game or leave. Thats a moronic view IMO. But be that as it may I violated the rules, ended up offending alot of people and stirring up far more trouble than was needed rather than just ignoring the guy on my list and be done with it and ruining some peoples gameplay.

I feel bad for what I did and I can't take it back but its not who i am as a person I just had a bad night. I've seen devs blow up in the same way from time to time either on the forums or in game (usually in game). I was banned for 2 days and while I feel its a bit excessive for a first offense with no prior incidents and a rather good track record I had it coming and got my just deserves. So I'll do my time, lesson learned and hopefully it wont be an issue again. I wasn't the first to get banned for this I'm sure I won't be the last but the point of my speech or w/e is it seems to be a very small minority of people. Almost not enough to even be considered. And those who are the true trolls or trouble makers dont seem to stick around long on this game from what I've noticed to begin with so it really shouldn't be a long term problem.

My only "beef" and I've said it before. I'm not going to say his or her name but there is one particular dev I see in game constantly telling players if they don't like the game , leave when they make harmless comments (in my eyes) such as "So jobs are half xp now? Man that really stinks I don't like that change at all I wish it could go back to how it was". And other times I've seen the same person mute players in chat for 2 hrs or kick them with temp suspensions (according to their words) for offering suggestions or expressing unhappiness with the changes in a not rude fashion or anything. Just expressing feedback. And then told things like "it's not going back to the way it was so deal with it or leave, we aren't changing it"  The words practice what you preach come to mind when I hear this stuff. Because people are getting banned muted or warned constantly when they disrespect a dev or gm etc etc  but when they turn around and do the same thing to the player base it's dismissed its FEELS LIKE a total dictatorship.

But doesn't a person who wears a staff title have to adhere to some sort of professionalism paid or not? I understand people piss them off daily and whine whine whine, but isn't it there responsibility to ride above all that crap and be the better man? I realize it's extremely hard and feels impossible at times but thats the job you signed up for when you wanted to run a game is it not? Does one have to be getting a paycheck from a company to be required to be polite? All I ask for if nothing else is equality in terms of treatment.  Stop telling us we can't do something, then turn around and do it yourselves. I'm generalizing again but it really is only the same 1-2 people I'm referring to that I notice in game. And I won't throw their names out but I will forward this report to the appropriate person via PM if you tell me who to talk to. So I can stop repeating it on this post.

I Just want to make the staff aware of what I feel is a growing problem regarding that concern whether you agree or not. IMO there is some serious favoritism, rule breaking, and hypocrisy going on right now among a very few amount of staff. And I know i'm not alone on this one from what I read in the forums and and in game. Not to be the ultimate nerd here and quote spiderman but "with great power comes great responsibility"  just because you have all the power and tools shouldn't mean you use them in a inappropriate fashion to satisfy your own personal rage sessions or quiet someone you don't like or want to hear even if they arent breaking any rules etc.

I'll stop here because this seems to be turning into a rant even though I truly did/do not intend for it to be that way. I love this game and the devs even though I may not agree with everything said and done I have tremendous respect for your hard work and accomplishments and keeping this game free and fun. I'm in your corner, I truly am but there are some things in house that are off and should be addressed IMO. Keep up the hard word and thanks for making a great game.

Wow, topics really do get hijacked.  The topic was...If someone other than a GM or Dev asks you to use the "appropriate" channels go ahead and call them what you will but move the conversation to an appropriate channel.  

Sorry you go banned for cussing  I have seen many cuss words slip and no ban so there must have been quite a string of them for you to get banned.  You didn't say if you were asked to tone it down by a GM prior to your banning but I suspect you were and either ignored that gentle prod or lashed back at the GM.  

One more thing.  GMs are not usually Devs.  

NP = New Player help. 

Market = Buying and selling goods as well as buying services (taxi, and so on)

General = Anything else game related

OOC = Anything else not game related

very easy to understand.
if asked to tone it down or take it to another channel, just do it and its done.
we would hope you would ask someone else to do the same.

we have many channels to talk in but if you feel like you want to talk in new player about whatever or general chat about other games and what not then its a self inflicted problem and those who do it have the ability to stop it themselves.  otherwise you will be asked to,then forced to if you do not and are in fact talking in the wrong channel.
GM's are never DEV'S and vise versa
  • Upvote 1

Wow, topics really do get hijacked.  The topic was...If someone other than a GM or Dev asks you to use the "appropriate" channels go ahead and call them what you will but move the conversation to an appropriate channel.  

Sorry you go banned for cussing  I have seen many cuss words slip and no ban so there must have been quite a string of them for you to get banned.  You didn't say if you were asked to tone it down by a GM prior to your banning but I suspect you were and either ignored that gentle prod or lashed back at the GM.  

One more thing.  GMs are not usually Devs.  

There was nobody online to tell me to tone it down at the time but I deserved it. I pretty much went all out on the profanity and drama.