Nightly Backup

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So no solution for the daily Megan hour for those of us on the left coast?  The irony is that we are the only ones that would play at that time, given that 9-10PM is prime time in the West Coast, while most East Coasters have gone to bed cuz that's past midnight for them.

Would moving the server to the West Coast fix the problem?

Edited by VincentTH

So no solution for the daily Megan hour for those of us on the left coast?  The irony is that we are the only ones that would play at that time, given that 9-10PM is prime time in the West Coast, while most East Coasters have gone to bed cuz that's past midnight for them.

Would moving the server to the West Coast fix the problem?

East Coast isn't any better, ran WinMTR tonight at 10:15 to 10:20 PM and  got 32% data loss out of Kansas City.

[attachment=2448:10.20 PM.htm]

@Rezwalker

I really beg to differ from Kyp's assertion that "only a few players" are affected by Megan hour.  Between that time frame, most players are staying in stations and chat.  I sometimes take the risk of going for bosses at that time, since there are fewer players who hunt at that time.  Of course, I got a lot of XP debt as a result of CTM/CTD while hostiles are around :-)

@Rezwalker

I really beg to differ from Kyp's assertion that "only a few players" are affected by Megan hour.  Between that time frame, most players are staying in stations and chat.  I sometimes take the risk of going for bosses at that time, since there are fewer players who hunt at that time.  Of course, I got a lot of XP debt as a result of CTM/CTD while hostiles are around :-)

The Megan Hour as you politely put is from midnight to 1:00 Am for me and many, if not all East coasters,  I learned the hard way, the game becomes unplayable, unless you just sit at a station and chat or something that does not involve docking, un docking, gating, analyzing, jobbing, hunting and so on, at which time I promptly log out to save my sanity.

The WinMTR results I posted above clearly shows that the Kansas City hub problem goes beyond the 12:00 to 1:00 AM EST time frame and although I get massive data loss, 32% in this case, It does not by itself make the game unplayable so the question here is, what other factors kick in at that time. One thing I notice on a regular basis is data loss at the last hub,u15438806.onlinehome-server.com, which I assume is  sunrise.net and have seen up to 10% loss , and only at Megan Hour, so if we don't have a nightly backup at that time why does it happen.

As far as DEVs are concerned, and the general player base assertion that there out of touch with reality on the game mechanics, we can't really expect them to have the hands on experience that some of us long-timers have that play the game like it was our full time job lol, all we can do is point out the faults and problems in the game and give them time to figure things out. Sometimes we forget they have nothing to gain by this effort and are doing it for the love of the game and the community.

Thanks guys and keep up the good work.................       

Good, glad some folks disagree because that's really the first i've heard of it being completely unplayable. It helps when people speak up instead of just assuming we know things. ;)

Good, glad some folks disagree because that's really the first i've heard of it being completely unplayable. It helps when people speak up instead of just assuming we know things. ;)

Kyp, I think the many, many posts we've put here since I first opened this thread have pretty much stated that the game has been unplayable during these times. Unless of course you consider the best option when the lag hits, is to just hang out in station until the game smooths out again. Below are just a few quotes from my many posts, and I can assure you, if you had experienced these problems like the rest of with this complaint, you too would become too frustrated with the problems.  I'm sure you'd agree the game does become "unplayable".  

Personally, I've stopped playing the game as often as I'd like.  I figure at this point, nothing can or will be done about it.  I'm just concerned many others will do the same and the number of players will just continue to dwindle down to nothing.  You have to consider, those of us here offering feedback on the problem are just a minority few that have actually taken the time to come here and let you know about it.  The majority of folks don't even bother and just move on in their frustration to find something else to occupy their game time.

Opening post:
The lag created during the backup has pretty much become a game killer for me once the frustration of "stuck", "end-task", restart game (rinse and repeat for an hour) happens each night.

Jan 20th, 12:55am EST:
I took an alt account though and was watching the logins/logouts. Logouts increased 10 fold and many of the logins were folks that had just logged out. I know you said there isn't any backup going on any longer at midnight, but something is still going haywire somewhere causing serious lag, drops and hangs at gates, wormholes and docking. Again, for me this is between 12m and 1 to 1:30am EST and is happing every night.

Jan 21st, 12:15am EST:
12:03am EST, left Aragoth Station with load of missions for Aragoth Prime, got stuck at load screen. End task, reloaded game, proceeded to Aragoth Gate from Valkyrie, got stuck again on gate to Aragoth Prime. End task, logged in again to land at Chernevog, got there without a lock, but it took about 4 times longer to actually get the docking screen. Seems the issue is still happening.

Feb 1st, 12:35am EST:
Have to resurrect this post. This problem is still happening. Although it seemed to lighten up some, it is still going on. Tonight is worse than ever. I've already had to end task two times exiting Arogoth Station after taking job runs. Again, I'm on east coast and have a guild member on the west coast who is also experiencing serious lag while doing regular combat.

Feb 11, 02:50pm EST:
Kyp, any further find for a resolve on this problem? Last night was another really, really bad night. This time around though, when I'd hang on gating, I'd force quit the game and log back in. When I came back in, I only had 1/8th of my reactor and hadn't done anything prior to hang other than hit the enter gate button.

Also, prior to the midnight lagfest, while selecting 150 jobs at Prasad terminal, I was dropped completely out of game to desktop. This happened about 5 or 6 times in the course of about an hour. Odd thing is, I had an alt logged in at Jove's Fury and it showed that I immediately logged out on each occasion. Usually during a hang event, it won't show me logging out until I've actually logged back in after end tasking. I had been grinding jobs for the past week and never had this issue. I had just started doing the 150 jobs at Prasad, so I'm not sure if it has something to do with this station specifically or not, but figured I'd mention it.

Yes, the lag discussion comes up nightly in game, I don't know how many people are staying stationary, but it sounds like the further you are from the server internet hop-wise, the worse the experience becomes. As mentioned, I think at this point people are just not around for this/these hours because they expect it, or those of us who are just know to expect it, and as mentioned above, we work around it the best we can because we are creative people.

Unfortunately this means its not as reported as it should be - but its definitely a very widespread problem impacting a lot of people. For me, the lag hour is my peak hour of playing, so I've seen it pretty much every night since I started playing again in Jan. (I am one of the very lucky ones that can actually survive it without a crash, but gating can definitely get painful, nay sometimes impossible to recover from if a large burst of packet loss happens right as you gate - you basically black hole yourself because the server has no idea the client said 'i'm gating' and the client waits for a response to the gate request that will never show up). 

In any case:

Kyp, has the new proxy been made public for beta testing yet? If so can we link that to people having significant problems? I'm hopeful Tienbau's changes will help with this a bit, since it (I believe) will help deal with stuff like packet loss a bit better. I just haven't come across the link in the forums yet, I could be blind. But yes the problem is quite wide spread and I'd love to know when this might be available. 

Thanks!

Weird, cuz both logs are absolutely ok (1% is nothing).

What if you close client and re-open, is the lag getting better then?

I realize this is nothing, that is the confusing part.  I have now done a computer restore and logged in and all my reciepes are missing.  Tried to undock and I hang up.  As of last Wednesday the game was almost flawless except for the odd thing.  Now I cant even play.  It came out of nowhere

Ok why hasn't anyone mentioned that between "Megan Hour" there has been a raise in logins thus when u check server status on net-7 game satistics or the client launcher it clearly represent a good 3oo-399 players on a busy night for a good hr or so thus i also check average player in sector... and it reads as follows 17 in cooper, 18 in glenn, 11 in argoth, then 1,2,1,2 everywhere else. Thats still not enough to show the full amount and doesnt add up.  I would like to know why the 300+ loggined players and there connection has to be good in order for the count to be accurate when we checks server status right? but where the hell are these players? and why doesn't the game statics on net-7 show them as being logged in during megan hour? The only thing that looks accurate was the server % number during character selection which was 65% full. 0.o

I'm attaching to files for proof that something is a mess and this is right after the patch of today.

Edited by Skuzzy218

Where were you told the "connection had to be good for it to count"?

Unless someone's recently changed that code, all it takes is for you to be on the character select screen to show as "logged in" because at that point.. well you are.

So what your telling me is that based on the game satistics from net-7 via your website that at the time of the snapshot there was 100 users stuck or logged in at character selection screen within a few hrsfrom DT, while 50 players made it successfully pass the character screen to be fully logged in and recorded by w/e instrument it records the data by? The numbers are just questionable because If you know whats going on then please spill the beans for me. lol

Level 3 hops are crap. When I worked for a local ISP (internet service provider) 99% of our biggest issues came from Level 3. They have a attitude that is basically "it is not our fault your internet sucks" they stick by rule or something. All we could actually do is make our routing system try and avoid level 3 hops if possible (which is still the case) as a little more latency is better than a non-working internet connection.

If an ISP with 3 million+ customers can not get them to fix stuff good luck getting them to fix it for a game emu.

Edited by shadowxsx

@Yendor,

The issue, as I see it, rests within oneandone, the ISP that the EMU server is using.  They alone can route the traffic around Level 3 nodes.   And yes, ISP does static routing all the time to make their customers happy.

I was just kidding when I said move the server.  My guess is that oneandone also provides server hosting for sunrise, so, unlike me at home where I can switch ISP as I like, switching sunrise's ISP also involves switching server hosting as well.

May be more contribution is needed to upgrade the internet connection to a T1 line? 

I say move the server to Texas! sense i have grade A quality line running to and from them in the southern parts of the states and have broadband with Cox Communications. :)

I just have to ask but this is regarding server issues, Wed night on the 14 of March between 8pm "winter time" to 11pm "winter time" even though iam c/n usa...The server ran SMOOTHER at those times. the ctd, temrinal freezes,server hand offs were once in a blue moon type of thing for me and was very differn't that night. Im not sure if it was the same for others but if you changed somthing route was please let me know, i should have posted this immideatly when i notice this change on my connection anyway hopefully it continues to ride like this for another day or so but i work so i cant log in everyday during meganhour. xD

:edit: there were also a recorded number of 399 players online and the server still run almost as normal as it should for me once again sense st4.

Edited by Skuzzy218

I have to admit that since the Mar 12th patch, gating during Megan hours (and outside of it) has gotten better.  I believe the extra time-outs & retry count that Zach has added has made the number of Galactic Map Hangs [GMH] drop quite a bit, for both inside and outside of Megan hours.  I was pleasantly surprised last week that I only had 2GMHs warping/WHing 3 toons doing jobs during Megan hours (compared to having at least 1 GMH per gate/worm hole previously)

I also notice that most gating problems now occur more on Wormholing compared to gating.  What happens is that the JE issue the WH, the toon within allowed distance take the WH, but the toon does not get placed into the new map, but remains in the same map, with a different location (basically the toon will remain in the same sector, but with the coordinates of the weft in the destination sector!!!!)

Edited by VincentTH

Can confirm its a bit henky of late on WH, it seems to boil down to these few results, a Galactic map hang, a toss to same sector navs off, a incomplete WH initiating (like you declined the WH) but hit yes not no, and finally as it should a completed WH.

Most of the funny stuff happened while multied with a JE and another alt. with the alt most often missing the WH,GMH or navs off. But it has happened when not multied or when offering WH to others. Figured it was par for the course and when the WH fails to build I just reinitiate, or on GMH task manager out.

Some of the regular gating as of late lands the toon in various places on the sector map of the sector he gated into. This happens on solo play as well as multibox. I have reset updates and it didn't seem to make any difference. Dunno when it started doing this, just noticed a couple days ago.