Everyone wants something changed!

remote/small office.

Well what is this, WoW live server center? You don’t need a whole data center to run EnB-EMU or any other game server with less than 500 people. You are not connecting across 1000sq ft of floor space, but can be contained even in a 2U, easily. The idea for this scale is to co-locate with a bulletproof system that will require very little hardware swapping and minimal but efficient redundancy. IMO the choice is best for SCSI (15k RPM drives) and/or RAM drive. Of course you can’t build your datacenter on a RAM drive, but you can on a game server.

I went through all this before though, regarding the last server. Know what happened to the last server? "But no one listens to Zathras" -Babylon:rolleyes:lol:

• Upvote 1

Well what is this, WoW live server center? You don’t need a whole data center to run EnB-EMU or any other game server with less than 500 people. You are not connecting across 1000sq ft of floor space, but can be contained even in a 2U, easily. The idea for this scale is to co-locate with a bulletproof system that will require very little hardware swapping and minimal but efficient redundancy. IMO the choice is best for SCSI (15k RPM drives) and/or RAM drive. Of course you can’t build your datacenter on a RAM drive, but you can on a game server.

I went through all this before though, regarding the last server. Know what happened to the last server? "But no one listens to Zathras" -Babylon:lol:lol:

umm sry could you repeat that daywolf... I wasnt paying attent:)n :)

with regards to backups - it's very easy to say we need them, but it's another matter to actually implement them effectively on a remote server.

I always have a local content database copy which is between current and a week old, and take character database copies whenever I need to investigate specific issues.

Since we don't want to blow all the donation money on server side backups, the best way I can think of for doing backups is to have the play server send the current character database at the start of each day to the dev server which would mean we'd only ever lose a few hours of game play if anything goes wrong. I could get Net7SSL to do that daily via an SQL trigger.

umm sry could you repeat that daywolf... I wasnt paying attention :)

hah that's ok, I was drifting in and out too :lol: I guess that's what happens when someone makes a general topic about "change" ;)

---

I agree that implementing backups on a remote server is for all intensive purposes a pain in the butt. But I too think that daily backup is all that is needed here for the most part. When I speak of drives (plural) and redundancy I'm of course referring to RAID support. If this were a commercial operation, it would be insane not to have some real-time redundancy on your accounts and billing database server at the minimum, but that is not the case here. So yeah, minimum is a daily backup to another server. I bet that in time though, you will move to a more hardened system, something that is more reliable than the 1and1 servers. But I don't mean to seem as coming off as critical, this should be a good learning experience; and even with the hiccups, you guys are doing a good job. :P

WRT to the ideas about vault size and item compression:

the vault size is locked in the client AFAIK, however the item 'compressor' would be feasible.

Guild vaults are doable but the access method would be slightly fiddly. One method that springs to mind immediately is to have guild vault 'banks'. So you could swap in and out a set of vault banks, like you would those removable hard drives. Here's how it _could_ work, but again I'm not saying we'd do this but it could be done like this:

Brains, the leader of the 'Pugwashers' creates the shared guild vault on Jove's Fury.

Joe90 of the 'Pugwashers' arrives at Jove's Fury and swaps the guild's shared vault into his vault using '/guildvault'. His vault view is now the guild's first vault area. He deposits his prized collection of manticore nettles into the shared vault. He then swaps back to his private vault either by leaving the station or using '/guildvault' again.

BarleyMcGrew also in the 'Pugwashers' comes along to Jove's Fury and can access the manticore nettles by swapping the guild vault into his.

Only one person can access the guild vault at a time. If you try to access the vault while someone else is using it, you will get a message that it's in use, and the person who's using it. Your vault usage will time out after 5 minutes of non-usage, and your vault would change back to your private vault.

You would only be able to use the common vault on the station it was first created, creating a kind of 'home' station for that guild.

Thoughts? Of course, we'd need several anti-abuse checks (more attentive readers will spot an item duping opportunity in the above system - I'd be writing code to prevent that :)).

That would certainly be of GREAT use, and i would vote (if my vote made any difference :P ) for it wholeheartedly....

however, my issue is, that it is very hard to try to be a good builder without having multiple accounts just for storage of ores and comps... I guess I am just spoiled by the other online games I have played that allow more or less unlimited storage space. EVE being one of them....

TB Quote; the vault size is locked in the client AFAIK

If thats the case, then I will resign myself to having 16 alts just for storage :o:( (No really! LOL) and hope for the guild vault... can such a guild vault be restricted in some way? Guild rank perhaps?

In regards to changes in EnB Emulator from what it was in live....

I am willing to let the Devs use their talents and creativity and see what they come up with. I considered original EnB unfinished so I am willing to wait and see what happens here.

That's not to say that I will like or agree with the changes... it's just that I am not a Dev, just a Player. I do not really get a say in it all. If I had the talents and the education to be a Dev then maybe I would request to be a part of the team and have a more direct say in what changes take place, but I don't.

Go for it Devs... you are doing a great job so far, keep on doing what you have been doing.

In regards to Tienbau's suggestion of Guild Vaults, it sounds good to me.