I just installed windows 8 to try it out and the game runs fine on it.

Here is how i did it.

Step 1. Right click the demo of the game and run as administrator.

Step 2. Install as normal.

Step 3. Right click the unified installer and run as admin.

Step 4.  Allow it acces to the internet to install the files it needs.

Step 5. Windows will want to install a updated file and you will have to reboot your comp before you can run the launcher.

Step 6. Reboot your comp after installing the unified installer and windows updates it files.

Step 7  Update the launcher and the game. Run the launcher and let it update and restart and update the game.

Step 8. Run the game. Make sure it runs adequately it runs on this hp compaq nc8430 with the default video card drivers in 8.. 4-6 fps but it runs.

Step 9. Update your video card drivers as needed. I used the vista 64bit drivers from hp in my case more modern vid cards update from amd or nvidia or your laptop manufacturer.

Step 10. Setting up your screen and taskbar for windowed mode.  https://forum.enb-emulator.com/index.php?/topic/6404-net7configexe-for-running-custom-resolutions/

Follow my guide about the taskbar and net7config.exe  Make sure everything listed is set to run as admin/windows xp sp3 etc task bar never combine enable aero peek etc.

This is the basics of running e&b on windows 8.

Bonus Content

I ran into a issue with windows 8 and my laptop keyboard setting. CDel and I were experiencing a problem where if we hit the " ' key ( key left of the enter key) we would get error messages Not Subscribed to a Private channel.  The cure is simple.

Open your control panel ( hold your mouse over the lower right corner of your taskbar (right of the clock) / click on the Gear/setting button / Open Control Panel / Open Languages(click on small icons in the upper right corner as needed to see the Languages craplet) / Click on add Language / Find, in my case, English / Double-click on the icon and find your language setting, in my case it's English (United States). Click on it and click add at the bottom right of the window. 

I removed the other languages (us international and english uk) and the problem went away and my typing issues went away.

I get this question a lot people do not understand how to restore a collapsed window or to move a window and I get asked how..

This is how you do it I pointed out in my setup tutorial to set up your taskbar and why you turn aero peek on this is the easiest way for me to explain it..

Move-restore_zps8dae4139.jpg

If anyone else wants to add comments or tips and tricks for windows 8 this is a good place to put it.

Maybe we can talk one of the forum mods to pin this one also since it's going to start becomming more and more important as people get laptops and new computers with windows 8 on them.

I installed EnB on a Windows 8 Pro system, and the easiest way was:

Copy installation folder for Earth and Beyond.  Copied it to a thumb drive from my own machine, to the extra machine I have with Windows 8 Pro.  This installation had all the current updates at that time.

On the Windows 8 Pro machine I copied the Earth and Beyond directory into the Program Files(x86) directory.  I then gave full control to all users.

I then installed the Net 7 unified installer.  I skipped the updating the client, but ran everything else.

After the installation was finished, I set the Net 7 folder to full control for all users.

I also set the LaunchNet7.exe, net7proxy.exe and the client.exe all to run as administrator and use compatibility mode of Windows XP Service Pack 3.

After that, all worked fine with no issues at all.  Didn't use the single quote " ' " as magoo did, for whatever reason :), so I had no issue with that.

Follow Magoo's instructions to install the client and Net 7.  IF, and only IF you can not get into the game, you will need to do the following:

Set the Run as Administrator and run in compatibility mode Windows XP service pack 3.

You will need to know where you installed the EnB client, normally it is:

C:\Program Files(x86)\EA Games\Earth & Beyond\release

In this directory you will find a "client.exe" without the double quotes " ".

Left click on client.exe to select the file, you only need to single click this.  Double clicking will execute the file, which does no good.

Right click the client.exe file, and then on the menu that pops up, scroll down and select the Properties option.

When the Properties window opens up, look at the options in the tabs at the top.  Find the one that is labeled Compatibility, and click the label.

You will see a Title of Compatibility, here you will want to check the box for, run in compatibility mode for:

In the drop down box you will look for Windows XP Service Pack 3, and select that option.

Now look for the Privilege level Title, in her you will check the box for Run as Administrator.

Now, this is very important, DO NOT forget this step.

Click on the Apply button to SAVE these changes.

Then click on the OK button to exit.

Now, you should do this for the Net-7 launcher also.

Find where you installed Net-7 unified installer, normally:

C\Program Files(x86)\Net7\Bin

Look for LaunchNet7.exe, and left click ONCE to select the file, then right click and follow instructions above to set run as administrator and compatibility mode.

IF, and ONLY IF you are still having issues, post back here and I'll tell you how to setup the game folder and the net7 folder to allow all users to access them.

No need in giving you more information than you need.  Lets take this one step at a time, and we will get you in game!!! :) which is what we all want.

If you need more help PM me or just post back in this thread.

That is nice you have all the luxury of copying Enb over but i don't, so i'm starting from scratch. How do i get windows server pack 3  and how do i set everything to full control to all users?

• 4 weeks later...

When I try installing EnB on windows 8 i get the following error "1607: Unable to install installshield scripting runtime". Any suggestions on how to get past it? I tried running comparability mode and also installed the installshield runtime as well

I found a way to do it manually by running the following command as administrator 

E:\enb>msiexec.exe /qn /a enb.msi TARGETDIR=E:\Games\ENB\ 

where enb.msi is the name of the msi file (defaults to Earth & Beyond.msi but had to change it to work) it will install the files silently into the targetdir.

Edited by locus2k

• 3 weeks later...

just a note to help some, if you copy or just use your old files or install you will hit one snag... permissions, the fix for this is account elevation by right clicking the bottom left corner and selecting RUN.  Enter "  /control userpasswords2  " no quotes of course and hit ok.  Click your account then properties.  Click group membership tab then click the OTHER button and select administrator.  Normally you will have 2 accounts one administrator and one user, change the user one to administrator... it will then be administrator, user...

You might also need to add your specific named account to the earth and beyond folder.  Right click the folder (normaly ea games) select properties, click security tab then at the bottom advanced.  Click change permissions, add, up top select "select a principal".  New screen click advanced, find now, and click your account that you login with normally your name.  Click OK then on the next window you will see the permissions set it to full and ok it all.   Do  This with the net-7 folder also....   

I have used this method with all my games and it works nicely and I still tri boot win 7, Win 8 pro, and win 8 beta... :)

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you for the guide.

Did you look to see if you could get the Starship creator to work with Windows 8?  Every time I try to start it I get a message about not having Directx 8 or a 3D card.  I have set "run as administrator" and used XP SP3 compatibility mode (I have actually tried every mode). 

Though this may be a problem with my computer because a lot of my mid 2000 games won't run.

Edited by Bla

• 1 month later...

So, let me get this straight... you can only play in window mode for windows 8?  okay, how about this.  my char info text is glitchy in appearance, text unreadable in certain sizses...  there is no fix for this?

So, let me get this straight... you can only play in window mode for windows 8?  okay, how about this.  my char info text is glitchy in appearance, text unreadable in certain sizses...  there is no fix for this?

No, you can play full screen as well...

HOWEVER,

Windows 8 installs with bigger text size on some computers for better view, this causing game to be bigger than it should and never see fullscreen fit into window...

FIX:

Right click on Desktop, pick "Change Resolution"

Then click on the text link below about "Change Text size"

Make sure it is at "More smaller (100%")

Reboot and voila...

Edited by SiSL

• 1 month later...

I got everything re-installed and the game appears to start. However, Megan now tells me that my login information is not accepted. Not sure why. is this something a GM needs to fix?

• 2 months later...

i upgraded my system to win 8 pro 64 bit from 7 x64 pro and now no matter what i do the game won't work, IE the launcher just instantly crashes at launch. i have removed every thing and manually deleted the reg entries and disabled UAC nothing works. yet my laptop with home premium win 8 64 has no issue. Win 8 does suck for its silent yet deadly killer of not telling you it won't install unsigned stuff and once upon a time i looked up how to disable it and requires x2 logoffs and a reboot to do so, not sure if this is a issue here or what... Maybe i remember this from installing the game on my laptop a year back!! :P

• 4 months later...

I've been doing remote trouble shooting on computers updated to windows 8.1 and have ran into a few times where the net-7 launcher will not update.

You go thru and remove the text files and it wont update kinda problems.

So What I can do it drop the updated net-7 folder in here and you essentially copy and paste the files into the net-7 install folder.

Big thing is make sure if you run a third party firewall that you allow it thru ..

Here is the current net-7 folder updated to Jan 7th 2014.

I hope this will help you guys.

I'll try to rememeber to update this every month or two.

Contact me in teamspeak(ts.net-7.org) or ingame if you need some help trouble shooting the game.

I use teamviewer for remote work.

I've been playing on windows 8 and most recently windows 8.1 with no problems what so ever. Just in case anyone was dubious about using these operating systems.

Now if only I could get it to work on Ubuntu linux... :(

the only problems i have with windows 8 came after the 8.1 update,  I can no longer multi box the game which locks me out of my alt vaults 

Does any  one have any ideas?

• 5 months later...

Hi,

I recently installed on a win 8 laptop that has been updated to 8.1.  It opens and plays fine so far but Its in a very small window. I have tried everything i can think of including checking and un-checking windowed mode, changing resolutions and running all as administrator with xp service  pack 3 compatibility.

I would appreciate any ideas on fixing this, the small window isn't worth playing.

the lap top is an asus K550LA:

• Intel Core i5-4200U Processor 1.6GHz
  • Microsoft Windows 8 (64-bit)
  • 6GB DDR3L RAM
  • 500GB 5,400RPM Hard Drive
  • 15.6" HD LED-backlit Touch Display

I have a few days to return the laptop for a full refund and i have been evaluating it. so far i like it but this could make me decide to return it.

Thanks

Follow Magoo's instructions to install the client and Net 7.  IF, and only IF you can not get into the game, you will need to do the following:

Set the Run as Administrator and run in compatibility mode Windows XP service pack 3.

You will need to know where you installed the EnB client, normally it is:

C:\Program Files(x86)\EA Games\Earth & Beyond\release

In this directory you will find a "client.exe" without the double quotes " ".

Left click on client.exe to select the file, you only need to single click this.  Double clicking will execute the file, which does no good.

Right click the client.exe file, and then on the menu that pops up, scroll down and select the Properties option.

When the Properties window opens up, look at the options in the tabs at the top.  Find the one that is labeled Compatibility, and click the label.

You will see a Title of Compatibility, here you will want to check the box for, run in compatibility mode for:

In the drop down box you will look for Windows XP Service Pack 3, and select that option.

Now look for the Privilege level Title, in her you will check the box for Run as Administrator.

Now, this is very important, DO NOT forget this step.

Click on the Apply button to SAVE these changes.

Then click on the OK button to exit.

Now, you should do this for the Net-7 launcher also.

Find where you installed Net-7 unified installer, normally:

C\Program Files(x86)\Net7\Bin

Look for LaunchNet7.exe, and left click ONCE to select the file, then right click and follow instructions above to set run as administrator and compatibility mode.

IF, and ONLY IF you are still having issues, post back here and I'll tell you how to setup the game folder and the net7 folder to allow all users to access them.

No need in giving you more information than you need.  Lets take this one step at a time, and we will get you in game!!! :) which is what we all want.

If you need more help PM me or just post back in this thread.

Never had to set it on xp sp 3 mode

I installed from scratch using the net 7 basic install instructions

runs fine on windows 8.1 after i disabled the ip6 and checked the prototype reorder in the net 7 launcher.

Like Woodstock said you need to run enbconfig to set your resolution. Enb will not run current resolutions without using the enbconfig program to set them.  :)

enb config can be easily run from the tools menu in the net 7 launcher

I uninstalled and reinstalled, seems i had ran the unified installer before the client, did the client first and then the installer, seems to be working as intended now

thanks

• 3 months later...

I recently installed on a win 8 laptop that has been updated to 8.1.  It opens and plays fine so far but Its in a very small window. I have tried everything i can think of including checking and un-checking windowed mode, changing resolutions and running all as administrator with xp service  pack 3 compatibility.

I had this problem installing on a  Win 8.1 today. Had to set EnBConfig to run as administrator and also run the performance test to get a full size window.

Edited by Yazuli