Mayan End of the World and how it effected EnB Emulator

All i have to say is that the Mayan's went to a lot of trouble to state their whole end of the world event..just to highlight the EnB Emulator going down at around 11:45pm 12/21/12.............I mean we appreciate the advanced notice...but i mean really was all the overkill neccessary?

my 2c worth

Searing

All i have to say is that the Mayan's went to a lot of trouble to state their whole end of the world event..just to highlight the EnB Emulator going down at around 11:45pm 12/21/12.............I mean we appreciate the advanced notice...but i mean really was all the overkill neccessary?

my 2c worth

Searing

Still an hour and 12 min til the 21st out here on the west coast. :D

You really haven't studied it have you?

The calendar finishes on the winter solstice at 11:12 UTC 21/12/2012, NOWHERE on that piece of clay does it say "End Of World"

It is in fact a new beginning (End of winter, start of new summer)

You really haven't studied it have you?

The calander finishes on the winter solstice at 11:12 UTC 21/12/2012, NOWHERE on that piece of clay does it say "End Of World"

It is in fact a new beginning (End of winter, start of new summer)

Aye :)

Along what Spa said, I've heard it was the end of an age, not necessarily the world.  By some of our calendars the world 'ends' on 12/31 :)

How true. Can't you just see it. Two Mayan govt employees are making a new calendar! They have now projected it 5,000 years into the future. Man it's 5:00pm and we're gonna miss tonights human sacrafice. Let's call it done.
  • Upvote 2

As one archeoloigist put it, they finished one long count and didn't have room on that clay tablet to do another.  So they either stopped, or continued on another clay tablet that we don't have.  They may not have taken very good care of that next tablet because they wouldn't need it for 5,000 years...

In spite of their wisdom, I doubt they took Leap Year and daylight savings into account so the event would have come and gone. Buncha BS anyway. Even if it were true, whatcha gonna do about it? 

I take issue with the moonbats posting videos on the web about some phantom planet that's supposed to pop out at us like a demented Uncle and scare us or the rest of this apocalypse garbage.. Frightening children on the web is hardly honorable behavior.  :angry:

The Leap Year corrects a slight inaccuracy in the Gregorian Calendar. (There is NO need for the concept of a Leap Year in the Mayan Calendrical System so do not ask if the Mayan Calendar takes into account Leap Years - the question is not valid but YES is pretty close to being right.). The Mayan Calendar is slightly more accurate than our Gregorian Calendar. The accepted definition of a solar tropical year is approximately 365.2422 days. The Gregorian Calendar year has an average length of approximately 365.2425 days. The Mayan Calendar year has an average length of approximately 365.2420 days.The variation for the Gregorian calendar is .0003. The variation for the Mayan Calendar is .0002. Small numbers until you start working with periods of time greater than 100,000 years or so, which is what the long count (Mayan) is doing.

All of this information is at the fingertips of anyone who wishes to look for it. :ph34r:  As far as apocolyptic behaviours from individuals, I sure hope they've peeked out of their caves long enough to realize that we are all still here. :D

All very interesting stuff. Nonetheless, as you so succinctly pointed out Alurra, we are still here.  People can be so silly about this kind of thing, no doubt there is more going on around us than we notice and I prefer to keep an open mind but some of these folks are just off the chain.  :lol: