Cherry Picking Of Hulks

johnnyb455

Stop putting debris in mid to high level hulks. Problem solved.

I don't mind the debris in hulks, though I wish there were higher level versions of debris for higher level hulks.  That way there's still Explore XP for mining the debris, other than the clear bonuses, and trade XP for selling it.  The credits from debris, given how commonplace it is, is pretty nice.

This is so not an issue.  As much as players hate cherry pickers I hate those that think cherry picking is bad for the game. I tend to think its great for the game. 

1. It saves me time.
  2. I don't have to fill up my hold with crap I don't want.
  3. Those players that are out looking for experience can get more xp per minute by clearing half empty fields and racking up the clear bonus.
  4. If you come across a field of ores/hulks that mostly only have a single item/junk in them guess what......they are going to re-spawn (probably in the next 10-15 minutes) so go grab a drink a wait for it.  The 'cherry picker' has actually given you a great chance at a brand new field that you wouldn't have even know was going to re-spawn unless they 'marked it' for you. You should be thanking them. ;)

E&B has always been about choice so why do so many people not want to allow others the choice to play how they want?

note: Please do not change re-spawn timers based on an item being looted from it.  This would create an exploit for miners to forcibly re-spawn ores/hulks simply by pulling out a single item.  This would be baaad.

Edited by Crichton
  • Upvote 1

This is so not an issue.  As much as players hate cherry pickers I hate those that think cherry picking is bad for the game. I tend to think its great for the game. 

4. If you come across a field of ores/hulks that mostly only have a single item/junk in them guess what......they are going to re-spawn (probably in the next 10-15 minutes) so go grab a drink a wait for it.  The 'cherry picker' has actually given you a great chance at a brand new field that you wouldn't have even know was going to re-spawn unless they 'marked it' for you. You should be thanking them. ;)

E&B has always been about choice so why do so many people not want to allow others the choice to play how they want?

note: Please do not change re-spawn timers based on an item being looted from it.  This would create an exploit for miners to forcibly re-spawn ores/hulks simply by pulling out a single item.  This would be baaad.

You know 4 is not happening... You are welcome to try anytime... 

Heh, current respawn timers rewards offline camping. Just park your miner on top of field, put your clock on, do whatever you want meanwhile with your other toons or go sleep, spent time with family and when time comes, log your miner in, pick items, and logout again hence repeat... This is currently happening on major known hulk fields by reknown players' alts. 

By changing respawn timers I meant "entire field"s respawn timer, regardless if it is completely cleaned or picked, instead of static number of hours/minutes per field, just random minutes/hours after after first pick of field between minimum & maximum respawn limits  entire field respawn... There is no exploit on that. It just breaks the clockwork campers and may be their nerves... 

Edited by SiSL

Have to agree there, should be some randomization of spawn timers.  If it's possible, in the future, perhaps we should randomize locations of some of the ore fields that spawn in game.  Not all of them, but say about 1/3 to 1/2 of all ore fields (including gasses, hulks, etc.) have the ability to spawn in random locations, in appropriate sectors.  If possible have whatever guardians the field is going to get spawn with the field.

Random spawning fields, should tend to be more lucrative than static fields.  Static fields being fields that spawn in same location all the time.

Not really a cherry picking thing though, but making explorers look for fields more.  I don't think cherry picking is an issue since picked things can despawn.

• Upvote 1

Meh on the lot of it all. I stopped mining hulks back around OL25 and haven't looked back. Given the continuance of cherry-picking and the ensuing drama, I don't need it to play the game. Themepark mission lines have been more rewarding than playing the game's system and whining. My Sentinel made it to OL150 in an acceptable time and I enjoyed Content. This new behavior has saved me from respecting those who run around all day going, "Phear mah 133t drop, suckas!" Whatever, dude.

Just know that there is a game out there besides standing in what amounts to gasoline station lines waiting your turn.

Via satellite, this is the Pakkrat. Edited by Pakkrat

When I come to a roid or hulk field, I am not there for the debris and other stuff. I am there for the sweet protos and high value ores that can really boost my game and contribute to the gameplay of others when I pass it on. I clear everything there regardless of whether I need it or not because that's the intent of the designers in putting it there in the first place. There's no entry in the design docs that says "oh yeah, the reason individual items can be prospected is so that people can cherry pick and other people can clean up after them".

So when I get to a hulk and find it's been cherry picked, all that means is some greedy, lazy bum decided he / she was too important to spend a few seconds pulling a stackable low level item. They're dumping their scut work on the next person to come along and claiming "it's fine because it's worth something to THEM".  If it's so valuable, then YOU take it. I don't want your trash for the recycling fee, Mr. or Ms. One Percenter. 

What I find telling is that the defenders of this practice are generally long time veterans who have one or more 150s. All the time these people spend in game, and they can't finish prospecting a roid or looting a hulk because they'd have to either destroy the stuff they didn't want (takes seconds) or visit a station and sell it (takes a minute or two). Shame on you for your laziness.

Also shame on all of you who think you're entitled to do this crap "because there's no law against it". Laws don't determine right, only wrong, and they are always behind the times. Right is determined by our consideration for each other, and you have no right to leave crap you don't want for someone else unless you've checked with them first to see if they want it. 

Here's an idea. You want to cherry pick? Hook up with the people in this thread who claim it's all right with them, so they can clear your leavings at the same time.  But I don't want the junk unless it comes with the good stuff because it's a package deal. And I resent your not respecting the deal because nobody's making you. That's the attitude that forces devs to waste valuable time patching exploits instead of working on new stuff for all of us to enjoy.

/rant off. Plenty more where that came from though.

• Upvote 2

When I come to a roid or hulk field, I am not there for the debris and other stuff. I am there for the sweet protos and high value ores that can really boost my game and contribute to the gameplay of others when I pass it on. I clear everything there regardless of whether I need it or not because that's the intent of the designers in putting it there in the first place. There's no entry in the design docs that says "oh yeah, the reason individual items can be prospected is so that people can cherry pick and other people can clean up after them".

So when I get to a hulk and find it's been cherry picked, all that means is some greedy, lazy bum decided he / she was too important to spend a few seconds pulling a stackable low level item. They're dumping their scut work on the next person to come along and claiming "it's fine because it's worth something to THEM".  If it's so valuable, then YOU take it. I don't want your trash for the recycling fee, Mr. or Ms. One Percenter. 

What I find telling is that the defenders of this practice are generally long time veterans who have one or more 150s. All the time these people spend in game, and they can't finish prospecting a roid or looting a hulk because they'd have to either destroy the stuff they didn't want (takes seconds) or visit a station and sell it (takes a minute or two). Shame on you for your laziness.

Also shame on all of you who think you're entitled to do this crap "because there's no law against it". Laws don't determine right, only wrong, and they are always behind the times. Right is determined by our consideration for each other, and you have no right to leave crap you don't want for someone else unless you've checked with them first to see if they want it. 

Here's an idea. You want to cherry pick? Hook up with the people in this thread who claim it's all right with them, so they can clear your leavings at the same time.  But I don't want the junk unless it comes with the good stuff because it's a package deal. And I resent your not respecting the deal because nobody's making you. That's the attitude that forces devs to waste valuable time patching exploits instead of working on new stuff for all of us to enjoy.

/rant off. Plenty more where that came from though.

Wow +77.7

One thing I haven't seen mentioned here is incentive. During ST4 it was common to get field clear bonuses of 15k+ XP to clear a hulk/asteriod/gas field. Now in live the most I've got to clear the field is 1600 XP. I'm not saying to go back to pre live days, but if I spend 20-30 minutes clearing a field I should get a better reward.

As far as cherry picking, it's a pain in the but. As you increase in lvl and areas explored you will find more fields. I mine about 6 regularly, 2 or 3 may be picked but the perseverence pays off in the end.

Got to tell you, (I will/will not) cherry pick when I feel like it, if you don't like it then the problem is you, it's your feelings not mine. If I want to leave debris, or parts, or ore or even proto gear behind, that was all my choice and the way I chose to play, not you. I do not live my life worrying about wether someone possibly 1,000s of miles away, might have misperceived what I have said or done,  most ESPECIALLY in a imaginary universe, populated by imaginary people and monsters, run over a server made of bits and pieces of data.

It is not rude of me, nor inconsiderate of me any more than breathing hard or sweating after a good jog is, it is what happens in the course of living. Now if I said to you in advance " I forswear ever mining, without emptying each and every item contained within the hulk/roid/cload" and then proceeded to mining without plucking it all, then yes at that time I was rude and inconsiderate.

Do you criticize everyone that don't take every piece of fruit out of the fruit basket? Is it rude to toss a disposable cup in the trash, still containing a small amout of ice within it, even though I consumed what I desired from it, namely the fluid? Even if I took a single sip from the cup and then tossed the cup fluid, ice and all, it was my cup, my fluid and my ice to do with what I wish, your FEELINGS aside, it's quite simply none of your damned business.

You choose how you want to play, I'll choose how I wish, if I don't somehow patently and ACTIVELY negatively impact your game or visa verse then once agian, it's nobodies damn business what I do. I'm not peeking in your windows to see if you put the tissues in the trash, not checking your garbage to see if you ate transfats, not following you to see whom you choose to give your affections to, kindly return the favor.

There is no cherrypicking! Yes, I too, am disappointed to come upon a hulk with little or no useful stuff in it, I don't let it eat at me that someone else out there plucked the "good" stuff before me, they beat me to it, good job, maybe next time I will beat them to it,  tough, I suck it up and move on. Yes, I find a hulk field and feel all warm inside that I might get something awesome, and when it don't I don't go cursing those that beat me to it, if I want the stuff left, I mine it and go, if not, I just go.

Of course, thats just my FEELINGS. :)

Just saying....

Here is the problem or at least one possible problem with the cherry picking.  I think with the ability to have massive amounts of alts parking one at each spawn and popping in, picking the field and logging off is a tactic that borders on exploit.  In live only the very rich could have so many alts.  And with the hulks being mostly random it was not an issue.  I have been on very soon and hit a field only to find it picked clean with a (Who sector) I  was the only one there and still all fields were totally picked except for the debris.

With only two alts currently I can't fly fast enough to combat those tactics...whine? yes... Unfair advantage to those that are making cherry picking a full time career.

This is no different than camping equipment drops IMO. And you don't have to be rich to have enough toons to camp 24/7. Guilds have been doing it since the start of EnB, they just take shifts. And since so many have complained about the economy, this behavior will ensure a monopoly on equipment and ores forcing players to pay someone to get anything worthwhile.

The Devs seem to be encouraging this with the increases in mob difficulty, drop rates and locations. Only they know if it's intentional "working as intended" as they say. It is their game afterall and the rest of us are just along for the ride.

It is a shame that we will undoubtedly lose some players that find the current version too tough to be fun and move on.
  • Upvote 2

Not to be sensationalist (well, maybe just a little as a Reporter), but could the drops that come from hulks become a dividing line between so-called "cherry-pickers/field campers" and the have-nots turn the words 'DiApogee' and 'Prototype' into bad household words with the pilot citizenry?

"What? You're using Prototypes?"
"Yeah? So?"
".....*mumble mumble* cherry-pickin'......"
"But I bought these off the Market."
".....*mumble mumble* cherry-picker supporter."

Will this become a dividing line of assumption between the Have Prototypes and Have-Not Prototypes because of the assumed stigma of cherry-picking and field-camping? Will boycotts of DiApogee's products ensue? Stereotypes and labels? Only time and society can tell.

Via satellite, this is the Pakkrat Edited by Pakkrat