Explanation Of Server Restart Procedure

Trapt

Most of us are in the dark about what actually takes place when the server crashes and shuts down. I know only a hand full of people (maybe less) can actually restart the server, however It would be nice to know what usually takes place when the server is having issues. Most of us just flock to the server status post and refresh it, hoping for an update by a member of the N7 team, though that rarely happens. Anyone have additional info on this?

[quote name='Trapt' timestamp='1354516090' post='67814']
Most of us are in the dark about what actually takes place when the server crashes and shuts down. I know only a hand full of people (maybe less) can actually restart the server, however It would be nice to know what usually takes place when the server is having issues. Most of us just flock to the server status post and refresh it, hoping for an update by a member of the N7 team, though that rarely happens. Anyone have additional info on this?
[/quote]

I concur

Well a server dev which we have sleeping next to the server (someone has to feed the hamsters...) drags his chains bolted to the wall over to the server...he/she then goads the mutated server hamsters back on the treadmill....often he has to repeat this throughout the day/nite......we have to keep the radiation level high...in order for the specialized mutant hamsters to power the treadmill..thus we tend to burn out coders/server devs...we harvest their organs in Russia for hamster feed......as for the content devs i think they scavenge graveyards in a hunchback herd looking for 'brains" .....i think that is what runs the net-7.org site......simple really....

(my non programing "emotional" viewpoint on how this works)

Searing
  • Upvote 1

LOL good one searing

i think first thing that has to happen is somoene who knows what they are doing has to look and see WHY it crashed in the first place. Then if it's a know bug see if there is any new data that might help fix it. Ok restart. If it's something new. Then have to stop and see what and where it is so they can work to prevent it. Then restart.

It's not that complicated. Just very very very very time consuming since your talking about 1,000's of line of code ....especialy if the one doing the looking is now coming down from a 20 hr run of killing mobs in carp! and now has no EnB to enjoy! Edited by rodsmith

[list]
[*]Server Crashes.
[*]Devs's Get notified of crash
[*]Dev's remote into play server (If one is awake)
[*]Record debug info
[*][i]Hotfix pushed to Live if possible[/i]
[*]restart server (YEY!)
[*]Fix for more complicated issues
[*]Push to DEV server
[*]Test new fix
[*]Push to PLAY Server on Tuesdays
[*]Hope
[*]Pray
[*]Cry
[*]Rinse repeat.
[/list] Edited by Dakynos
update

[quote name='Specops' timestamp='1354600937' post='67883']
The dozens of crashes that have occurred since going live, each one is some new problem? Or is there something that the devs aren't able to fix?
[/quote]

growing pains.....they are working on it.....it keeps getting better .....but i don't code so i'm not sure what kinda voodoo is being done

Searing

They are mainly Cross Threading memory problems which we have never encountered before as we have never had this amount of player on-line. Zak is doing a sterling job of fixing them, but due to the nature of the beast, there may be many more we have not encountered yet.

Zak...Zach....i should rename :lol:

What Rolo said.
The server runs stable up to a certain amount of players being online, than the problems starts to hit expotentially. The fixing is an ongoing process that turns out nasty at some points but we are on it, just dont expect it being fixed quick....

Ya....uhm, fly safe ! :yes:

Simple laymans terms: Youre all bumper cars in a small rink. When there are only a few of you, you never collide. Add more, and the chance of a collision increases exponentially. Zack is adding "bumpers" so it doesnt kill the server every time one of you crashes

*nods*

The issue is its not always easy to tell which bumper needs a new one. Or to predict which two cars will collide in advance.