Intergalactic mail system or account-wide vault

Drakefyre

As the title suggest, a mail system or account-wide vault would be a nice addition to the game... if it does not require too much.

Having to dual-box or to ask a friend to trade over items to your characters is kind of... bothersome. :rolleyes:

As for the account-wide vault, it could easily have 2 rows of slots to put items in, while relieving some stress about trading over items it also adds a little more vault slots.

The mail system would probably add too much overhead; be a source of irritation and add more overhead to the GMs and support staff that are already donating time.

However, the account wide vault shouldn't be incredibly hard; as there has to already be something that ties each individual character to the account. I wouldn't even say it has to be overly large of a space. Even something to the effect of 10 slots; just to facilitate transfers of ores/comps/ammo mats/whatever between your own toons...

On the other hand, playing devils advocate... the having to depend on other people does foster a sense of community that is severely lacking in other MMOs.. and maybe this self-same sense of community is what made this such a "tight-knight extended family" which is also what led to people.. say five years later.. donating their time to reverse-engineer the game and google it longingly wanting to still play it.

Either way.. It'd be good.. but the having to depend on other people and trust is maybe part of what made this game great.

a account wide vault... ok for me, but in addition to the character vault.

A mail system, like in wow or other games, will destroy the community. No more "Come to F7 and bring the parts......" only "I send you the money - build it and send it to me, bye".

No mail system or auctionhouse, please!

I would have to agree with the last 2 posts. No mail system. The dependancy on fellow players is good in Enb. I think it has enough solo ability already, don't need to make players completely independant so no one talks to anyone else anymore.

Sigh it seems this suggestion pops up every couple weeks and the answer is the same. If it was easily done it would have been done back when the game was live. There was talk about it being put in but since EA slashed the devs to a skeleton crew it never happened.

Honestly, it would not be that hard... It would be less work to say make all characters on an account share the same vault, than it would be to create an "account vault". Size would not matter as to the difficulty of creating an account vault, just how much space on the server each account vault holds.

A mail system wouldn't really be that complicated, re-purpose the net7 news terminals in game to serve as a mailbox, a few dozen lines of code for the mailing system, most of that can be copied from the trading system. Create an "inbox" area that is part of each characters server-side data. The server overhead would be minimal, no more than if there were the same number of trades taking place. Depending on the limit to the number items per mail, and the limit (if any) of mail that can be held in each players inbox however, it could cause a noticeable increase of space used on the server to store character data...

I doubt that adding either OR both systems would effect the community aspect of the game, just decrease the amount of time needed to get something made. Honestly its more about the convenience than the self reliance.

Perhaps the mail system is a bit too much to ask, like ppl loosing their items during transfer via mail and asking GM, wich is a loss.

I'm sorry if it has been suggested before, I joined after the forum wipe and did not see this suggestion.

• 1 year later...
[quote name='Drakefyre' timestamp='1265123699' post='6785']
Perhaps the mail system is a bit too much to ask, like ppl loosing their items during transfer via mail and asking GM, wich is a loss.

I'm sorry if it has been suggested before, I joined after the forum wipe and did not see this suggestion.
[/quote]

Previous mentions or not I like the idea and have had several moment where I myself wanted to suggest it. My reasoning is simple. The only computer I have access to is rather lacking in everything. I have a very hard time managing to dual box. And when I manage it the computer acts like I am reaching into it and pulling wires out. So having some easier way to get items from avatar to avatar would be delightful.

[quote name='Warrick' timestamp='1305721830' post='40863']
Previous mentions or not I like the idea and have had several moment where I myself wanted to suggest it. My reasoning is simple. The only computer I have access to is rather lacking in everything. I have a very hard time managing to dual box. And when I manage it the computer acts like I am reaching into it and pulling wires out. So having some easier way to get items from avatar to avatar would be delightful.
[/quote]

You could always ask in chat if someone would be willing to help you out with a transfer to another char :(

I know in Live people asked for help with transfers all the time and they would usually pay the person a nice tip for helping out.

As said before and I've seen this alot : If it means the DEVs have to alter the client it's not going to happen.

I understand your idea and have used it. But how inconvenient for the parties. If I have someone every time I need something moved? Like lets say missiles, launchers, Laser, devices and credits?! I am sorry but its a bit unreasonable to consider that the only alternative. Edited by Warrick

[quote name='Warrick' timestamp='1305788297' post='40887']
I understand your idea and have used it. But how inconvenient for the parties. If I have someone every time I need something moved? Like lets say missiles, launchers, Laser, devices and credits?! I am sorry but its a bit unreasonable to consider that the only alternative.
[/quote]

That is how it was in live.

Create 2 accounts and launch 2 clients, if your pc 10 years on cant do this, there is something wrong or you are still using fossil!

[img]http://www.inflexion-point.com/Portals/41408/images/simples%20jpg.jpg[/img]

Though I personally don't think it's much of a bother, if something like this were to be implemented, I think the best way would be to enable access the vault on any of the characters on the same account. It could be set up with a simple command line switch. I you wanted to access your traders vault for instance, and his name was BobTT, you could just type "/vault BobTT" and the server would redirect the vault interface to show BobTT's vault instead of the current toon. Default for the /vault command should be your the current toons vault, so you could go back to your own vault by simply typing "/vault".

[quote name='Knix' timestamp='1305793398' post='40890']
Though I personally don't think it's much of a bother, if something like this were to be implemented, I think the best way would be to enable access the vault on any of the characters on the same account. It could be set up with a simple command line switch. I you wanted to access your traders vault for instance, and his name was BobTT, you could just type "/vault BobTT" and the server would redirect the vault interface to show BobTT's vault instead of the current toon. Default for the /vault command should be your the current toons vault, so you could go back to your own vault by simply typing "/vault".
[/quote]
Actually, I quite like that idea. I don't think it would be terribly hard to do, either...

{edit} isn't this beaten to death yet? =) Edited by Dakynos