After Midnight Est

Been about half an hour now (currently 10:30 PST) trying to connect. Launcher says the server is online, but still getting the cannot connect to the global server error. If I can't connect, the launcher shouldn't say it's online.

The login component of the server is down at the moment from what I am hearing. The midnight net-7 portal downtime is most likely unrelated to this. That is a DNS issue that happens sporadically and at times more often than others.

Its all being worked on, and its known about, so its all about finding the solution at this point.

[quote name='Yuritau' timestamp='1353913896' post='67224']
Maybe I'm oversimplifying, cause I don't know programming, but wouldn't just restarting/rebooting that component at least let people keep playing until someone came along to properly fix things?
[/quote]

er....they need a sever dev to look at it...the good news the debug'ing stuff that they follow is working well.....most of the time the server dev comes in looks at the code and what broke ...goes no big deal ....notes the bug....and if it is SAFE reboots the server ...but kinda have to have someone look at the code or error before tossing the whole works bac up and making it worse.

but in the wee am's they may be sleeping or at work on another part of the planet and can't get to it right away

anyway that is my take on it i don't program (i am available for programing in Applesoft Basic for the Apple II computer...should that ever become needed..but I think that is doubtful)

anyway thats my take on it

my 2c worth

Searing

[quote name='Yuritau' timestamp='1353913235' post='67215']
If there's a known issue with the login server, wouldn't it make sense to have more folks on different schedules that can restart it?
[/quote]

If we got paid for it we would quite happily be on call out, but we don't. This is all volunteer. That being said I really don't know how Zak manages to put the time and effort in that he does.

Rolo

To answer that question Yuritau, no. If the login component crashes, it is a result of the ongoing problem we've had related to memory with all the new changes. Restarting it makes it start up for about 30 seconds and then it crashes again. Also, it masks the problem so that we can't actually fix it!

The following people are able to restart the game servers at present:

Tienbau, David, Kyp, Rolo, and Zackman.

Unfortunately the first 2 are inactive at this time due to RL concerns but I don't give just anyone access to administrate the server machines for security reasons. We used to be a little more lax with this but certain rogue elements that used to be a part of our dev team attempted to steal all of your player data so they could load it on their forked server, unfortunately they didn't understand how it all worked so they weren't able to get the data they thought they got.

Anyway, there is a reason to the madness, even though it means you sometimes have to do without, and hey, like Rolo said, you want to pay us an equivalent salary via donation, we can talk about being on call 24/7 ;)