Documentation for database?

Well, it really won’t do you any good, as the db you are getting from the SVN is NOT what you are seeing in current game. As I remember it the db from there is roughly Aug. of last year when “they” decided to stop releasing the actual in use db.

Now that ST3 is coming to an end, it would be reasonable to release the ST3 database. As I understand the only reason for keeping the DB from the masses is the fear of cheaters...

Can we have it? Or is the content basically the same as the new ST4 will be?

As I understand the only reason for keeping the DB from the masses is the fear of cheaters...
how does keeping db content private stops cheaters ? all the db gives is access to game content without actually playing the game (figuring out navs, spawn, npc's etc)

You know the exact coordinates of every drop/loot/roid/mob every talktree, everything before it happens... It has been discussed on the old forums at length. And if the old final decision still stands: no current DB dumps for anyone (including GM/DEV etc...) only need-to-know for Content-Devs. Several alternatives were discussed, but it was postponed because of the extra work taking time away from more pressing development work.

While I mostly agree, it would be nice to have at least some data to mess around with for testing code changes and showing to people at LAN-Parties.

Please correct me if I'm wrong...

The 'mob_base' table has a 'type' column, ranging from 0 to 5. What do the different numbers represent? I'm guessing 1 is for ships and 2 is for organics, but the others?

For instance:

Agwe the Planter and Lurking Gazer are Type 0

Adult Rock Spore and Nazari are Type 3

Glinting Manes and Lapis Titan are Type 4

Blazing Manes is Type 5 (the only one of that type)

Also, there are more 'spawn_group_id's in the 'mob_spawn_group' table than there are mob groups in the 'sector_objects_mob' table. Why is that?

So there goes my hopes of a single player version :(

... I don't suppose I can put in a very low priority feature request - encrypt the database or something so that you can freely distribute it?... I know the decryption part will have to be in the SVN somewhere, but there must be something that can be done!

I thought there was a DB available that was less current but still compatible with the current source code. As I remember there was a script you needed to run as well to bring something current. Are these still available? When those were released we were promised to update those occasionally. It seems like a refresh might be appropriate.

Spacegrrrl

No, the update script is gone with the forum crash...

And ST4 Code also needs a new DB-Schema...

Maybe if someone with DB access finds the time to do a structure only DB-Dump?

All you need from the old database is a schema update. We're looking at creating one. Keep your eyes on the announcements area for that.

I think the OP wanted a detailed description of all the database fields.

If anyone wants to spend the time documenting all these please feel free to do so. Note that the fields and tables are subject to change, removal, additions and re-formatting without notice, so it would be an ongoing task.

I was wondering if anyone had successfully built a (singleplayer) test server? I would like to test some modifications I am planning to the database. I'm assuming I will need a version of the SVN source from the same time and date as the latest database dump. Also, is it possible to host the test server on the same computer as the client and still have both perform well (again, only singleplayer)? Thanks.

playing on the same machine is no problem. as it is the only thing the server requires plenty of is RAM. for a single client you would need about 700MB of RAM for the server. shouldn't be a problem for a moderately recent pc. I only have an old version of the source and db here, haven't messed with it for quite some time...