Afterburner Waste Of Skill Points?

It's not just me who thinks afterburn is a pretty useless skill as it is right now... The amount of warp and combat speed increased even at its highest level makes it pretty much useless to have till you have no where else to put your points. Only other skill I think is more useless on the TS than afterburn is hack. Is it possible to vamp it up a little bit? Just a thought. Edited by Sleven.

The AB skill is like every other skill you prioritise how you want to spend skill points.

Because it is percentage based at low levels the benefits don't seem all that great but there are still benefits nontheless. As you get better skills and tech levels the benefits increment up. Some will take the choice to put in a few points to begin with.

By 150 it is definitely worth investing all the points for a maxed out AB skill.

Show me a scout that is not obsessed with speed eventually - they get a religious experience with AB. Edited by Lot

I had it maxed... It helps a TS to reach the top speed of 9045 warp achievable in game. Without it the TS can still reach around 8.8k warp, so really the gain isn't much. The combat speed boost is moot, because by that time you already hit the 1000 cap. Edited by Sleven.

The calculations from the AB buff may be bogus in they way they are calculated.

For example the warp bonus is calculated as a percentage of ONLY the engine warp speed and ignores benefits from equipment and skills. Probably the same is going on with thruster speed and the other stats that AB is supposed to improve. In short: we are not getting the full deal.

May be the AB percentage should be being applied to the full value not just whatever the engine stats happen to be.

For 10 points may be 5% should actually mean 5%.

My opinion about this is that AB has a reason to be as long as the NOS is removed from the game and speed increase devices and skills perform the role they were meant to.
Terrans have engines as racial trait and they should be the fastest of races/classes. As it is right now there is no differentiation at all. Furthermore tactics could be implemented based on combat speed advantage of a terran group leader.

• 2 months later...

Talk about Terran engines vs. Ursa NGC 9 speed... heh...

I still believe Ursa speed is a long forgetten bug....

If it is not bug, Terran L9 engines should have that speed...

Afterburner, nice to have, but I barely hit it due to annoying sound :)

Edited by SiSL

• 4 weeks later...

in my play, I always have the TS with max afterburner as lead.  Saves my skin several times, as I have opted not to have high level engines (lv5 max).  It appears that the speed of the leader has more influence on combat speed than other members.  Say, I have a group of 4 TT/TE and a TS.  The group has higher combat speed when the TS is group leader and the TS's Afterburner skill is engaged, compared to when the TS is not.

When a high level mob spawns on top of the group, the maxed afterburner skill saves a lot of XP debt for me.

Edited by VincentTH

I love my AB and maxed it asap.  Its a life-saver and a time-saver.  I would like to see it extended to higher skill level and have a slightly higher warp, combat speed and group effect.

One thing I often do is mine out a L8 mineral (refined) and find my reactor is empty - I can at least start blasting out while the reactor recharges for 3 secs before I can warp to safety.  AB is essential.

And of course the noise it makes is awesome when its coming out of the sound system and the subwoofer is on! ROOAAARRRR....

At its current % it is indeed useless.  You get more thrust from a device and the warp increase is awful.  It really should be on par with a RR+ and Cat's Paw for it to be useful. Seriously effecting speed by less than 5% just seems like a waste....maybe its not working properly?

Give it something I've always thought it needed, 2 more levels, give an increase at those higher levels, and waive formation requirements.  In addition, as far as I know, there's no equipment that buffs the Afterburn, or the Null-Factor skills.  That may help.

Note guys that I normally avoid the "Player Knowledgebase" section, as this is an area I consider to be for your private discussions. You might consider bringing something like this up under "Suggestions" if you have a good idea for it. The original intent of the skill was to break the "thrust barrier" and allow the Scout to exceed 1000 thrust but balance requirements dictated that we limit it on a "for now" basis until we have time to look at all of that. Just an FYI (it is probably not in its final form) although I've been told repeatedly about Hack I think you all should hold out on that one as well because we're revisiting the functionality of Hack too.

Note guys that I normally avoid the "Player Knowledgebase" section, as this is an area I consider to be for your private discussions. You might consider bringing something like this up under "Suggestions" if you have a good idea for it. The original intent of the skill was to break the "thrust barrier" and allow the Scout to exceed 1000 thrust but balance requirements dictated that we limit it on a "for now" basis until we have time to look at all of that. Just an FYI (it is probably not in its final form) although I've been told repeatedly about Hack I think you all should hold out on that one as well because we're revisiting the functionality of Hack too.

Hack is now fine for last two or three weeks, it is fixed :) At least doing what it says on descriptions and much much much better and worth to invest now :)

Afterburner on the other hand, well, there might be other suggestions.... 

What scout needs would be emergency skill like powerdown / cloak on other explorers... If thrust would be over 1000 that would be the idea... However, like other emergency skills it might be short term for balancing... May be insta warp away similiar to "Fold space" 

Terran Scouts already bragging about being fastest with 9045 warp speed... Other Terrans especially Enforcers would die for an skill like Afterburner or Navigate since Terrans are known for speeds, like Progen known for strength, Jenquai knowns for stealth 

Edited by SiSL