When Did You Find...the Enb Emulator Project? Date/year Etc

How did you find the EnB Emulator?  

58 members have voted

1. 1. How did you find the EnB Emulator Project?

• Using a Search Engine like Google ...looking for old times sake.
    • Read it on some type of Gamer Forum or Blog or Fan Site.
    • Heard about it from a Friend in Person or Online.
    • Advertising or Promotion by our efforts here on the project.
    • PC Magazine Online or some other legit news service reporting.
    • Some fan based EnB Emulator Video like on You Tube or others.
    • Other - Some method I did not mention in the above choices.

i'm killing time here in the early am waiting for the Server to come back up (needs a restart but we kinda abused our server devs last nite and somewhat today ..in the wee hours...so i think they are way...crashed....i think a few may also suffer this am from 'Wife Aggro"

anyway....the topic here is when and where and perhaps how did you find this EnB Emulator project....was it way back at the beginning of the project or recently?

Anyway

I was on Beta Server under Westwood and from then till Sunset when EA pulled the plug in 2004.

Not being a programmer type i saved all my data disks/game info etc on the somewhat 'slim' hope that someday some programmer type would make a small "app" so i could at least get in game and fly around my empty EnB data disks ...and reminisce and look at the stations sectors etc..if nothing else that much.

So in a nostalgic frame of mind in March of 2007....i was Googling on the web looking for some screen shots etc..when i found the project....and GASP they had a single user playable version ..that no only could you fly about in game on your little laptop you could actually do stuff!

(much whooping it up at that point)

Then reading on i saw that they were planning on making a "Server" version and revive the game as an emulator.

(much more whooping it up at that point..at which point i think i pulled something)

So in Jan 1st 2008 after midnight the launch of the first stress test (ST-1).....and we were off

So.....

For those of you who think we have not come far in the 5 years i've been in the project (I think the project has probably only been in existence for maybe 7 yrs)...anyway.....we have gone from single player ...no server all tools built from scratch all server hardware coding reverse engineered etc etc to the point we can call the project LIVE as of 11/9/2012 ......10 years and change since EnB was launched by Westwood and 8 years since the original EnB was killed by EA.

Now that we are here and ALL our concentration can now be put into "Improving Content" and "Improved Gameplay" and anything else we can dream up w/o haveing to build an entire server/univers/dev tools/non-profit status/ etc etc

Imagine what the next 5 years will be like with our laser like concentraion on "Game Improvement/Advancement".....its all about content now boys and girls...

so brace yourself!

Also promote the game (maybe wait till after our launch weekend here so we can get the bugs out) ..but add the net-7.org link and enb-emulator link to your facebook pages....if you are really ambitious ....we prob could use a newer version of a EnB Emulator video of game play on Youtube then the one on there 3years agon in ST-3....feel free to promote it

I mean we are "LIVE" and that means to me the expectaion is that the hardware and software WILL work ...and now most of the staff's concentration in game will be on improving/refining/adding content....content ...content.........(you guys get bored easy...need to make lots of shiny missions/stuff)

anyway enjoy the project and tell on this thread when you found the EnB emulator project and the circumstances ....many of us will be interested...especially on my part on the most recent of you

gonna also try to add a simple poll option to this if it does not work ...well I'd like to see descriptions on how you found the project here anyway.....

thanks for contributing to this modest little project (good thing it was a simple port right?)

my 2c worth

Searing GM

[*][url="http://36ohk6dgmcd1n-c.c.yom.mail.yahoo.net/om/api/1.0/openmail.app.invoke/36ohk6dgmcd1n/11/1.0.35/us/en-US/view.html/0#"]RazorWing@enbemulator.com[/url] Message flagged
Sunday, September 3, 2006 10:57 PM

Welcome to EnB Emulator Forums

Please keep this email for your records. Your account information is as follows:
[/list]

My story is I basically lurked the forums until late 2010. I hadnt paid a ton of attention in 2008 2009 because of a new addition to the family and was working way too hard to be online much. When I checked back in 2010 I saw we were already in ST4, and I signed up and played for a few months. Then I went inactive again for close to a year, came back last year and got serious.. ended up making one of each profession, taking it to 150, ubering them out, joining some guilds, getting into it.

I was starting to get bored, Kyp asked me to help with Content writing, and here I am.

[quote name='Stanig' timestamp='1352626218' post='65708']
[*][url="http://36ohk6dgmcd1n-c.c.yom.mail.yahoo.net/om/api/1.0/openmail.app.invoke/36ohk6dgmcd1n/11/1.0.35/us/en-US/view.html/0#"]RazorWing@enbemulator.com[/url] Message flagged
Sunday, September 3, 2006 10:57 PM

Welcome to EnB Emulator Forums

Please keep this email for your records. Your account information is as follows:
[/list]

My story is I basically lurked the forums until late 2010. I hadnt paid a ton of attention in 2008 2009 because of a new addition to the family and was working way too hard to be online much. When I checked back in 2010 I saw we were already in ST4, and I signed up and played for a few months. Then I went inactive again for close to a year, came back last year and got serious.. ended up making one of each profession, taking it to 150, ubering them out, joining some guilds, getting into it.

I was starting to get bored, Kyp asked me to help with Content writing, and here I am.
[/quote]

How did razorwing find you to inform you of the project? Do you know him? an't seen him on i couple years

Searing

That used to be the admin email address they used when you signed up to the forums. I found it through a quick websearch looking for the old guild website to see if anyone was around, since I was getting back into gaming, and saw a post by Cookoo that mentioned the EMU project.

Well honestly I dont't remember the date I first found the EMU.... I do remember the single player version was available and I played it for at least 6mo or so before ST1.... Man I remember first logging in to ST1... it was so novel being able to chat in the game... Things were a bit bumpy back then...Server restarts were almost a daily event.... I remember there being a running tally on how many hrs the server would stay up..... it was a while before we got to 100hrs. Skills got added and functionality returned... it was a HUGE deal when they got the guilds up and running. Which in my option was a big boost for the players. I have been thru ST 1,2,3,4... and watched the EMU's relentless progress, and yes a few err..."pot holes", towards getting this game back live. The EMU has gotten some great reviews from diffrent publications over the years and I hope to see several more once they know we are "LIVE". In my opinion it will be the influx of new faces that will really get this wheel a turning. So be nice to the noob who has never played before or never played live, they are the ones who are helping you keep this thing going.

Cheers,

Les-

I first heard of this site, a long time ago. I can narrow it down to two possiblities, but can't remeber which one for sure. LPCA used to have forums, proposing a game similar to EnB, also the EAUK forums had a very long thread asking for EnB's return. It was one of those two things, but I cannot remember for sure which. I first started playing in the early days of ST3. Had 5 toons then, a JE, JW, JT, PT, and Scout.

In Feb of 2011 I was on youtube watching videos from my fav rock bands, when a thirst for a taste of the past came over me, so I searched out the E&B Sizzle, and in the comments of people begging for it to come back, I saw one person mention the net-7 site, well I followed the link and viola! Here I am.

I would like to add that I have known about the emulator for years, but never played because it previously appeared too cumbersome to install and the game did not look so complete. I think if there was some way to spread the word to former players that (1) it is easy to install, (2) is substantially complete and has active developers, and (3) is free, former players would give it a try.

May I also suggest that if the word could be spread on fansites related to Eve Online that this game exists and is free, a decent number of people may want to try it simply because it is another (rare) space MMO and it costs absolutely nothing to try.

I found it years back when all you could do was log in and move around a little.

Never got into the larger roles (GM, DEV etc) as I did not have alot of time to get into it and lack of programming knowledge.

Been taking a long term break from enb though, just came back today to see how things were going and saw a few interesting posts to chime in on.

[quote name='Specops' timestamp='1352687257' post='65793']
I would like to add that I have known about the emulator for years, but never played because it previously appeared too cumbersome to install and the game did not look so complete. I think if there was some way to spread the word to former players that (1) it is easy to install, (2) is substantially complete and has active developers, and (3) is free, former players would give it a try.

May I also suggest that if the word could be spread on fansites related to Eve Online that this game exists and is free, a decent number of people may want to try it simply because it is another (rare) space MMO and it costs absolutely nothing to try.
[/quote]

I still have my guild site and let many know all that, but they arre to into WoW or other games to even want to come back :( Edited by shadowxsx

Friend of mine from live and a friend outside the game was working as a dev in 2009

The laptop I had wouldn't run the game so we spent 2-3 months getting it to run the emulator.

My first sign in date from the old forums is july 2009 my first play day was in oct 2009 and been at it ever since.

I clicked google, but I was not looking for old time sake, I was looking specifically for an emulator. I watched the project after they had the first bit unlocked and were able to use ship "emotes". I signed up on the old forums and downloaded the emulator when it was still single player (back when there were two separate projects, the java and C++). I have played casually each stress test since then.

I found the EMU through a google search.
Another of my favorite games was doing an EMU so I thought I would search for an EMU for ENB.
Found it and was so happy!

Didnt follow it too closely but checked every year or so to see if anything was happening.

About 2-3 years ago finally made a character and have been here off and on but always come back :)

*NOTE* I really shouldn't post so late at night..originally posted wrong info in this thread. Edited by Ozone

I found the emulator way back when it was a stand alone.
All i could do is fly around and spawn in a mob to kill for myself.
When they started to bring this online I uploaded my Live game file to their FTP server.
I had found people in WoW who had played in Live, like Phorth and Delaan and told them.
We were so very glad to have this game back.

Edited by when

• 2 weeks later...
August of 2006 I recieved my account activation page, after finding mention, probably on Google, of the site. I've been aggravating everyone I can since then, mostly lurking in the forums and playing here and there. Great work by all the team members over the years. Thank you all!

I was, just the other day, thinking bout Earth and Beyond. I was feeling nostalgic, so I did a Google search and just about messed my pants when I saw that Earth & Beyond lives!

It has been nearly a decade since I last played E&B, never thought I would again; and yet lo and behold here It is. It's good to see the place again.

Thanks to all who didn't give up ;) And thanks especially to those who made this emulator happen.

I've been around since December 17th of 2009 on the forums, typed in Earth & Beyond on Google one day just to see what would happen.

I still have my old copy of the game I bought from E/B Games for $8.99 and my official prima guide for $14.99 both are dust collectors right now.

Edited by virpyre

[quote name='Ironlion' timestamp='1354212706' post='67468']
I was, just the other day, thinking bout Earth and Beyond. I was feeling nostalgic, so I did a Google search and just about messed my pants when I saw that Earth & Beyond lives!

It has been nearly a decade since I last played E&B, never thought I would again; and yet lo and behold here It is. It's good to see the place again.

Thanks to all who didn't give up ;) And thanks especially to those who made this emulator happen.
[/quote]

good to have you back..nice to see the shock did not kill you.....yeah we are one if not the only emulator of this size mmorpg to actually get to the point of LIVE status...i.e. actual relauch of a game of this size.......sometimes i have to pinch myself too..

pass it around we are back to any and all (maybe not on the EA site thou :)

my 2c worth

Searing

Friend of mine told me that my favorite game was being revived as a emulator. I first downloaded the very first of the single player versions. Been on and off playing since late 2005. This game has been my first and best mmorpg that i have ever played. The community and players have been the best since Live , and have been ever since . Many hours have been put into this project, and I salute all the Devs, Programmers , and Testers. Long live ENB and it's contuined success

I've been following the old forums since sunset and i was aware of the suggestions for an emulator.
Been on and off in touch after they were closed and no longer updated until i found the stand alone version where you could just fly around in a single sector (i think it was Jupiter).
Lost contact for a while due to RL but returned around ST4. Being playing ever since and words can't really describe my gratitude for all those that devoted their time to make this project a reality. Donating money from time to time seems like a very small contribution to this awesome community.
I hope more old timers return with the news of a "Live" EMU along with new players that are curious to experience the most unique Space RPG to ever grace the gaming scene.