Compulsory Contemplation

mission documented on 15 FEB 2004 by Old Guild riverport:

Task: Learn Compulsory Contemplation Skill.
Mission Recap: (List to be made - some items are trade goods, don't wormhole when you have them.)
Reward: Compulsory Contemplation Skill.
To start this adventure:
Go to Councillor Adriel at Observation Tower on Dahin Planet and take Councillor Adriel's Mission: "Patience is a Virtue"
1/12
Fill Waggles food crate. All work done at refine terminal.
Full Food Barrel for Waggles
--1 Empty Barrel (Given to you at mission start)
--1 Sweetener (Level 5)
----2 Chocolate (Level 2 Trade Good sold at Somerled)
----1 Eggs (Level 2 Trade Good sold at Somerled)
--1 Nutritional Supplement (Level 6)
----1 Spices (Level 4 Trade Good sold at Somerled)
----1 Grain (Level 1Trade Good sold at Somerled)
--1 Bastinium (5 Level 5 Bastinium Ore)
--1 Cupidium (5 Level 7 Cupidite)
--1 Conorium (5 Level 7 Conorite)
2/12
Capture a suitable pet for her great-grandson eighth birthday.
(Catch Dish Dancer CL 5 with net supplied in Asteroid Belt Gamma - Nav comm)
3/12
Deliver the Dish Dancer to Akil in Aragoth Prime Sector - Sattelite Communication Node 2 [Dritheni Mobil Lab].
4/12
Discuss Akil's science project with him and tell him that it is pretty cool being a hacker.
(Spot will spawn, don't shoot it!)
5/12
Help Akil calm down his pet Spot - Cloak and spot will stop.
6/12
Fetch back a new AI Control Interface - Analyze the Damaged AI Control Interface one you are given and hope for a critical to get unit inside. You may have one built for you, but be sure you bring back the Modified AI Control Interface.
Damaged AI Control Interface
--1 Modified AI Control Interface (You need this part)
----1 Evolver AllTemp Circuit Board (Level 4 Computer)
----2 Electro Microminiature Connector (Level 2 Electronic Item)
----1 Nebular PowerVamp XL (Level 6 Power Converter)
--2 Wreckage Slag (Level 2 from hulks)
7/12
Councillor Adriel is in desperate need of Oil of Nommos Face cream. Buy this item from the vendor 'Liam O'Faolain' on the Main Deck of Fenris Observatory.
Note: Get the Truffles also, it's for the next step or you will have to make another trip. Items are Not Tradable and can not be wormholed back, if you don't have RD love, it'll be the long way this run.
Level 7 Oil of Nommos Face Cream - 675K and Level 9 Sun Diver Truffles - 1,350K
8/12
Oh! And pick up a pound of Sun Diver Truffles, too. Hope you got then before you go to this point, just go see her if you did.
9/12
Experience first-hand how it feels to be controlled by another. Don't try to move, it will be over in a few seconds and it will be over.
10/12
Undertake a test of your concentration. Go to Yokan Sector and target The Point of Contemplation to begin. You will find the marker just north of the Net-7 Beacon approx 145k and approx 211k from gate to Sirius System; you must be within 1000 units to begin.
11/12
Concentrate and target each of the flames as they appear before you. A two types of flames will spawn in front of you and will have your name on them; target only the 'Flames of Concentration', if you target 'Flames of Distraction' you will fail and reset you to step 9. After you target 5 'Flames of Concentration' you are done with this step. Best view is 3rd Person mode view 7 (F10 to change views) and they will appear about 0.04k in front of you.
12/12
Return to Councillor Adriel to report your seccess. It's all over now, skill attained.

copy and past from http://www.rivenport.com/special/jenquai_explorer_compulsory_contemplation_skill.html Edited by duvel

What it should do according the official website patch (5 FEB 2004)

[size=3][b][font=Arial]Compulsory Contemplation Skill[/font][/b]
[font=Arial]We're very pleased to announce that the Compulsory Contemplation skill is available to Explorers of Level 135 or higher who are affiliated with the Sha'ha'dem. The skill may be earned through the completion of a mission, which may be started by visiting Councillor Adriel on Dahin Planet.[/font]
[font=Arial]Compulsory Contemplation allows Explorers to confuse a single target - preventing movement, skill use, item use and weapon use. The duration of the enforced contemplation can be extended indefinitely as long as the Explorer has adequate reactor energy to continue the lock-down and one of the following contemplation breaking actions does not occur:[/font][/size][list]
[*][size=3][font=Arial]The MOB takes damage.[/font][/size]
[*][size=3][font=Arial]The MOB is affected by energy sapping skills or game effects.[/font][/size]
[*][size=3][font=Arial]The MOB makes a successful periodic resistance check.[/font][/size]
[*][size=3][font=Arial]The Explorer maintaining the lock-down runs out of energy and cannot maintain the continuous drain.[/font][/size]
[*][size=3][font=Arial]The Explorer attempts to initiate the skill again (effectively toggling it off).[/font][/size]
[*][size=3][font=Arial]The Explorer changes location. Facing changes are okay, but movement is not.[/font][/size]
[/list]
[size=3][font=Arial]Some of the actions that do not break a compulsory contemplation include debuffing a MOB, the Explorer using other skills (cloak for instance), any other item effect or skill use that does not drain energy or do damage.[/font]
[font=Arial]The skill can be used in a wide variety of situations and has many tactical applications for solo, group and raid play styles. Sneaking past MOBs that see cloaked has never been easier![/font][/size] Edited by duvel

This:
[quote name='duvel' timestamp='1352135078' post='65102']
[font=Arial][size=3]The Explorer changes location. Facing changes are okay, but movement is not.[/size][/font]
[font=Arial][size=3][/quote][/size][/font]

[font=Arial][size=3]...and this:[/size][/font]
[quote name='duvel' timestamp='1352135078' post='65102']
[size=3][font=Arial]Sneaking past MOBs that see cloaked has never been easier![/font][/size]
[/quote]
...seems counterproductive. Not sure how one does any "sneaking" while not moving. Edited by Harros

I could see it being useful with several Jens holding several mobs & the rest of the group working through them, and as they reach the mob you're holding you join in. Would be neat to try anyway :) But yeah, they mention solo play - HOW would it be of any use soloing? [i]Maybe[/i] if you used it on a mob and wh'd out, but you could also cloak instead..

Even when I did fishbowls with my JE I didn't use the skill, was too busy with my Coma, Chimaera, and JSing people. Not sure if it would work on a raid level mob. I could see it having limited use mining, if both the mob you need to deal with & the rock you want to mine are within range of both skills, but there are better ways to deal with it, IMO, that require less reactor energy.

I have to agree in that it doesn't seem like a useful skill while playing solo. Meh...maybe allow movement while actively using the skill, but make it so the JE has to stay within a certain distance in order for the skill to remain in effect.

[quote name='Mynd' timestamp='1352222063' post='65159']
I have to agree in that it doesn't seem like a useful skill while playing solo. Meh...maybe allow movement while actively using the skill, but make it so the JE has to stay within a certain distance in order for the skill to remain in effect.
[/quote]

Yeah, that would be a good compromise. Say anything beyond 5 Km breaks it?

[quote name='Terrell' timestamp='1352227717' post='65163']
Yeah, that would be a good compromise. Say anything beyond 5 Km breaks it?
[/quote]

Yeah that sounds about right. Maybe even an item somewhere down the line (hypothetical) that enhances this skill a bit in terms of distance/duration. Much like how the Lepus device enhances the Fold Space skill. At any rate, a slightly better chance for the JE to get away from a boss like GoBB for example who has the "see cloak" skill and Jenquai-like scan range.

Hopefully, this skill does find a place in combat and raids and whatnot this time around....I didn't bother getting this skill during live as it received way too many negative reviews by JEs.

In Live you could CC a mob, that was close to ore you wanted to mine, mine the ore, then warp away and/or cloak and move away. When fighting two mobs you could CC one, kill the other, then deal with the CC'd mob. I really see zero reason to alter the skill from how it was in Live.

Movement or damage breaks it, but turning does not. Its pretty simple. Due to the resistance check the skill was not really that great for raids (CL 60+ mobs) unless you first debuffed a mob with a Psi debuff device. If this was done you could pretty safely CC high level mobs as long as you stayed withing recharge range of your TT and didn't run out of energy. I even CC'd Scooter a couple times.....though he generally killed me if I failed. Edited by Crichton

[quote name='Crichton' timestamp='1352242664' post='65169']
In Live you could CC a mob, that was close to ore you wanted to mine, mine the ore, then warp away and/or cloak and move away. When fighting two mobs you could CC one, kill the other, then deal with the CC'd mob. I really see zero reason to alter the skill from how it was in Live.

Movement or damage breaks it, but turning does not. Its pretty simple. Due to the resistance check the skill was not really that great for raids (CL 60+ mobs) unless you first debuffed a mob with a Psi debuff device. If this was done you could pretty safely CC high level mobs as long as you stayed withing recharge range of your TT and didn't run out of energy. I even CC'd Scooter a couple times.....though he generally killed me if I failed.
[/quote]

Personally, the only time I would only consider using this skill would be during a raid situation. Just going by the skill description where movement or damage breaks the skill..says that it's not very effective for solo combat. Unless, you were somehow able to kill the 2nd mob (1st one CC'd from what you said) without moving or taking any type of damage whatsoever. I can see this happening here in the Emu maybe, but not during live. The only occasions where my Jens never took damage in live was if I was kiting with a coma....depending on what the mob's scan range was.

As for mining/combat...here and during live...a coma, along with a low sig will do and did the trick nicely. It is also possible to cloak immediately after starting to tractor in an ore if the cloak is timed right.

Looking at it logically, the only purpose of this skill (as it was during live) that I can see is that of a raid or group setting. Running solo, I don't see why any JE would bother using that skill. I just think that some more "thought" should had gone into the skill before they implemented it. Just my opinion.

Oh, this is News...

Advert-bots strike the Net-7 Forum - Today the currently-blackholed Saturn sector has caused a lapse in Net-7 broadcast wavelengths security. Advertisement robots, called "Advert-bots" have struck hte News center's computer system and filled inboxes with useless product advertisement. "We see this on occasion when our guard is let down, " said a Net-7 network executive. Net-7 reiterates its reputation in commercial-free News transmitted the galaxy over. "The spacewaves will be clean again once NET-7 SOL has been freed of the blackhole activity and effect and transmissions are once again restored. Until then, Net-7 News will have to rely on our trusted field Correspondents to bring you the latest."

For Net-7 News, this is the Pakkrat.
Tomorrow's News Today

• 1 year later...
  • 7 months later...

What I noticed quite often with the mention of the the Bogeril Zone and Bogeril Raid (the real raid that was Zeke's Infernal Machine in Witberg not DT) this skill was crucial in success for completion of this raid.  Now if we are to restore this raid to its former glory, we need this skill restored.  The other class that was critical to this raid already has its skill granted it was not a L135 introduced skill but the usefulness of the skill was required for the Zeke raid.

Without it, I forsee the raid being nothing more than a fish n the barrel shoot like all the other raids we have now, with little or no skill really required.  That was the one thing that stood out with the Zeke/Bogeril Raid was it was the first raid in EnB that required real coordination and tactics to accomplish it.  Probably the reason it wasn't successfully done often (combined with the trigger taking up a large amount of time - but then again the raid was a step in the direction of giving the explorer class content).

Anyways I still remember the raid and all the Bogeril stuff primarily because I was the first on our server to successfully trigger it first and then after figuring it out successfully complete it (to include all the missions and other additives that came with the Bogeril and Explorer content).

With that hopefully we'll get some collaboration and get this fun aspect restored to EnB some day.  Again we'd need this skill to be apart of it first for sure.

• 2 weeks later...

Right you are Redd, after you got it then I think it was Firefox and then I. Coordination and tactics are the KEY to accomplish this bugger of a raid.

Good thing we're all here now :) Lookin forward to when it does come out have a open friendly server college try on it!

• 9 months later...

Is the mission Compulsory Contemplation even doable? Have been looking for Councillor Adriel for some time and not once seen the anywhere near the Observation Tower on Dahin Planet yet. She's not even inside the station.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
On 10/22/2015 at 2:02 AM, Woodstock DGM said:

Not yet ready 

So its been nearly 3 years since this post....has any progress been made to bringing this skill into the game? Having a great time on my JE and was wondering seeing it in my skill list having passed OL 135 recently. Thanks!