Possible client <> proxy comms issue when AFK

This is a very strange issue and has taken many weeks of observation to draw any conclusions.

When I AFK, typically (not exlusively) in a starbase the client will appear to 'black hole' whereby I cannot interact with things such as mfr terms, vendors etc. If I try to leave the starbase I cannot get to the sector (map screen forever) so I have to kill and restart. On restarting, I arrive in the target sector.

Also, when this behaviour occurs, if I write text in Local, Broadcast etc, my text is seen to other players but I do not see it in those channels myself. Similarly incoming tells are not received, but they are transmitted from the sender with no error.

Now, if I AFK with all the chat channels switched on, I am less likely to crash in this way as the amount of waffle is generally sufficient to maintain responsiveness. But in times of quietude this behaviour will become more pronounced.

home network set up then? any issues when browsing or is this purely when AFK and at no other times? it sounds like a timeout of somesort

Do you have packet oprimisation and secure ssl checked in teh launcher? Obviously hard to check right now whilst its down lol

Cool

can you give me some info

OS

Spec of machine

Firewall/ Av solution

wireless/ wired options

Does this only happen on the one machine and if so is it something that has always occurred or started recently? It may be worth testing yoru toon on someone elses install to see if it still occurs in which case could be a bugged toon ( doubtful but possible) other possible causes :-

- xp update upset your system

- port being blocked after inactivity on router

- firewall

- It may be worth uninstalling teh client on yrou machien and reinstalling, just hope you ahve teh client install saved somewhere as its a GB download!

there was an xp update sent out recently week which if installed could upset your system

I think bugged toon is out as it happens on all toons I log on 4 accounts.

System spec is probably out because it happens on both computers here, one laptop on wifi, the other a HTPC on cable. The only common denominators between the two are AVG 9 and Vista.

Connection / gateway: There may be a point here. What I will do next is run some tests at a friends house to see if the same results are observed.

Good idea, if its possible take your router/ modem with you patch his system through your router and try that way, if it happens again theres yoru problem, possible timeout still on the router be weird if it was but could be...

let me know how you get on

Well I didn't try this yesterday as the test was offline while I visited a friend, but today I've been checking logs etc at home to see if anything is there.

I have seen this, right after a crash in the log of the SonicWALL.

Time		        Message	                Source	                   Destination	                      Notes
01/23/2010 13:35:00.624	UDP packet dropped	217.160.5.19, 3806, WAN	   [MY Ext IP], 46637, WAN	      Port: 46637

So I've temporarily added an allow all rule from 217.160.5.19 (play.net-7.org) to see if something is timing out.

I will run some more tests and update.

Adding the rule has only served to prevent the 'UDP packet dropped' message from appearing in the log. The problem remains.

Furthermore, the port that is attempting to be accessed does not correlate to any port that Net7Proxy.exe is using at the time.

For example, netstat output showing what I think is the port in use by Net7Proxy.exe for incoming comms >

TCP    0.0.0.0:3500           hp:0                   LISTENING
      [Net7Proxy.exe]
      TCP    0.0.0.0:3801           hp:0                   LISTENING
      [Net7Proxy.exe]
      TCP    127.0.0.1:52536        hp:3801                ESTABLISHED
      [client.exe]
      TCP    127.0.0.1:52537        hp:3500                ESTABLISHED
      [client.exe]

The above port number is not the one seen is the firewall log messages.

Netstat also shows me that the proxy <> client comms are active, even after a crash.

TCP    0.0.0.0:3500           hp:0                   LISTENING
      [Net7Proxy.exe]
      TCP    0.0.0.0:3801           hp:0                   LISTENING
      [Net7Proxy.exe]
      TCP    127.0.0.1:52536        hp:3801                ESTABLISHED
      [client.exe]
      TCP    127.0.0.1:52537        hp:3500                ESTABLISHED
      [client.exe]

So I'm unable to draw a conclusion at the moment, I might setup a packet capture later and see what is going in / out when this occurs.

• 2 weeks later...

Any progress on this? I have the same symptoms - the unresponsive client etc - but no knowledge of routers/ports to help tracking the problem. We use networked Vista and Win2k machines. The Vista seems to drop faster. Yes the compatability, admin, firewalls are all as recommended. Tweaking the router seems to be next (last) resort.

No Virtual Machines here either. Is it a coincidence that the symptoms are similar or do they have something in common that could lead us to a solution?