"earth And Beyond Is Already Running!"

Is there any way to get that annoying little popup to NOT popup :mad: when you are trying to open up a second client ? <_<

i.e. trying to multi-box :wub:

I have tried many combinations of launcher selections and it seems a bit random as to whether it happens or not. :blink:

Any ideas? Please ;)

Heya,

it's not an account issue actually - you aren't at the login point at this stage.

It's simply a message from the game client itself (!) popping up on start [size=3]([i]after it was started from the Launcher[/i])[/size] that another instance of the game client is already running.
Since we cannot change the client, there is no "fix" for that.

You can start a second instance tho, you just need to try it again - after 2-3 tries it will launch.

Assuming you have two separate accounts and want them both running at the same time and you have already opened one account successfully, when you try to open the second account and get the "Game Client is Already Running" window...it is a weird bug that happens periodically....I still get it sometimes. In which case you just have to try again, or maybe twice. Always seemed to work for me.

[quote name='Zackman' timestamp='1349940908' post='64200']
Since we cannot change the client, there is no "fix" for that.
[/quote]
The proxy does actually "modify" the client process and one of the modifications is for the client mutex name. Originally this mutex was intended by EA/Westwood to prevent users running more than one client and users got around it by either using multiple computers or running the client under different user accounts on a single computer. The proxy runs a client, suspends the client process, modifies it and lets the client run again.

I too get the "already running" message sometimes.

My thought about this problem is that the technique used to set the mutex name to something unique either is not fool-proof or may be the proxy is still suspend/resuming the client process around each client modification instead of suspending the client once - making ALL the modifications - resuming the client once. This might give the client opportunity to run through the mutex check with the original name before it is modified?

Thanks guys,

@ Evermore - Yup, got more than one account and never try to login on the same one twice.

@ Zackman - Agreed, not an account issue. If it is a client issue, well then it cant be changed. It did not happen at all during 'Live' I had 4 accounts running on the same comp back then and NEVER gave me that message then, only now in the emulator.

Two or Three tries?!? God I wish! My currrent all time record is 27 tries :blink: and I STILL didn't login, I just gave up :mad: And if it pops up the first time, it seems more likely that it will happen again and again. It is either boom! right in, or a test of wills to see who gives up first. A dozen times or more is not uncommon, and [u][i]the more clients I have open, the more likely it seems to happen.[/i][/u]

@ drjeff - I envy you, only a few times ^_^ If it was only a few times, I wouldnt be writing this :unsure:

@ Lot - Wow! Dude, you know way more about programming than I do. I read that last paragraph about 5 times and my head still hurts. But I kinda get your drift. Clearly, it would take better minds than mine to help with this.

This is really not a game killing, or life threatening problem, I just thought there was something I could do to help get in when this happens, perhaps something I didnt know about that would work better :huh:

Thanks for trying tho ;)

Hobbs

I noticed this problem a lot until I meticulously avoided mousing over any already open client windows and making sure that I did not interact with any other open client windows between the time I opened LaunchNet7 and hit agree on the terms and conditions. Now I don't seem to have the problem at all.

I've also noticed that once the "already running" message pops up it tends to happen again and again repeatedly. So 27 attempts does not seem out of the ordinary. What seems to work is to stop trying to launch for a moment, using the ceasefire time to kill off any oprhaned proxy processes that dont have a child client process, before trying again. It often seems to work doing it that way for me at least anyway.

I've only got the old proxy code to look at and this version dates to before Tienbau's modifications for the mutex name.

This older code seems a bit chancy for a few reasons that I can see, if the current code is still the same then it might explain the problem.

The old proxy did not begin the client in suspended mode. The old proxy searched for a process handle using the client window title instead of using the handle returned when the client process was created. The old proxy only suspsended the client when it was ready to make modifications and it then played Russian-roulette resuming the client then suspending it again, to make another modification and did that a few times.

The only way to make the mutex name modification stick is to suspend the client at process creation, use the handle returned from that process creation system call instead of searching by window title, making all the modifications including the mutex name, then resuming the client.

Not starting in suspended mode means the client can race through to and beyond the mutex checking code before being suspended for modification. Randomly searching for a client by window title means the proxy might find the wrong client to modify! I can perhaps understand how Sharel's technique for launching might work as a workaround for everyone if the current code for the proxy is still similar to the old version I have seen.

Anyway, thanks for reading if you did, tbh just amusing myself with theory-crafting for a moment.

Ooo, more stuff to try....

@ Redoc - I haven't tried that, but as i recall it is iffy for me to get the window to pop back up, and if you have 3 clients open already, it might be a bit of a chore to do....

@ shadrel - I tried your tip and it seemed to be better, making abosulutely certain that I did not press anything that was over a client window, keeping my cursor completely still after pressing play. I got 10 clients open (just for testing purposes), the first 3 on one hit, then no more than 3 tries for the rest of them. Later on I tried it again and had much worse results It took half an hour to get 4 clients up. Apparently my testing can only be antecdotal and not empirical.

@ Lot - Ahhh, glad to see that I am not crazy on the repeating popup. As for the orphans you speak of, I [i][b]always[/b][/i] kill them when I have 2 in a row, (we dont need any errant processes mucking about) and still I got 27 that time *sigh*.

I did read the rest of your post, very slowly, repeatedly and mouthiing the words for fuller comprehension :huh: and I think you might be on to something, if as you say, TB is using the old process you have to review. The phrases that stood out to me are "a bit chancy", "Russian Roulette', and my favorite "Randomly searching for a client by window title means the proxy might find the wrong client to modify!"

I realize and appreciate that this effort is all volunteer (Thanks guys! I love playing this game) and I know that not all players Multi Box, but with the cadre of Hardcore players and the availability of multiple and free accounts, there might be a need, at some point down the line, to address this.

Yes, this is a tiny, littile thing, but perhaps the powers that be may consider putting it on the bottom of the list.

Thanks for all of you that make this happen! ;)

They did this back in the day to "fix" multiboxing. You can get around it by running the 2nd client under different credentials in Windows. Other than that, its an iffy thing but not something we can override i'm afraid.

[quote name='Hobbs' timestamp='1349993087' post='64229']
Ooo, more stuff to try....

@ Redoc - I haven't tried that, but as i recall it is iffy for me to get the window to pop back up, and if you have 3 clients open already, it might be a bit of a chore to do....

[/quote]
You have to restore the window when you do that... Not that much of a pain. Edited by Sleven.

Thanks for the replys, I have been incommunicado for the past week...

@ Kyp - If you can't do anything about it, I completely understand the reason why. In order to run the other clients "under different credentials in Windows" are you referring to TraderMagoo's post here? [url="https://forum.enb-emulator.com/index.php?/topic/6404-net7configexe-for-running-custom-resolutions/"]https://forum.enb-emu...om-resolutions/[/url] I am going to try that at first chance.

@ Sleven - You are probably right, I think I was remembering Win XP and not Win 7 I am now running.....

@ Aviator - I have looked thru TraderMagoos's post and I think that may be my answer. He really knows His stuff and with the laymans directions he gives I think I can follow them.

Much appreciation to all ;) Edited by Hobbs

Nah, was referring to using Control + Right click & Run As..

then using a different account from your currently logged on user account. (for Windows, not our game account)