Returning Player - Changes?

Very excited to give this another go, have a lot of fond memories. Was my first MMO I played shortly after my son was born.

Stuck at work doing the read ups and getting all hyped up about getting home and downloading it, been checking some of the maps and a couple of questions has arisen from looking around...

.. At what stage in the original E&B's development has the emulator encompassed? ie, is all the content that was released in live in this version? (except the stupid drops of high end stuff near the end)
.. I notice a couple of systems that I dont recognise... could be old age, but also makes me ask has there been additions to the game in its current form?

Many thanks, and hope to be flying alongside soon
  • Upvote 1

There are many things left out of the Emulator that the original "Live" version had, some of which will be added back as the game progresses along. The Emulator now, however, has quite a number of areas that were never in "Live": Castor, Altair, Proxima Centauri, Nostrand Vor (in Altair) and Uranus, Neptune, Pluto, Charon, Mercury, Venus, Ceres/Thule, Ganymede, Equatorial Earth and Mars Gamma (all in the SOL sector) to name a few. Its amazing to me that this game is still so impressive for a game developed prior to 2002. There is some magic in the game design that fosters the most friendly, helpful community of gamers I've ever seen. My favorite game of all time -> thanx to the DEV's for all the amazing work they have done so far to resurrect E&B.

VIVA Earth & Beyond!

If I understand correctly, the EMU is supposed to start at the same place in the timeline where E&B was when it first released. This means that things like the Vrix and the Maelstroms have not arrived yet, there's no Ardus or Der Todesengel.
The game mechanics tries to emulate the experience from sunset though, including things like turbo weapons mechanics. Also a lot of the raids like fish bowl and controller raids and their loot are in, although they were not in at the original launch.
As drjeff mentioned, a lot of all-new content has also been added. I think most of it is connected to the three missing classes being implemented. Even though they're not as complete as the first six classes, it's still nice. I really like the Progen Privateer.

Yeah, of the 3 new classes the PT is the toughest, and has the most DPS. PT is also the only class that can build PM Progen reactors. The JT and Scout shouldn't be underestimated though, they're both able in solo combat, but both require patience & tactics. Agrippa is another new thing, that wasn't in Live it's tied to the hull upgrades for Progen characters. If you want to use a Scout, Seeker, or Privateer, you will need to install the Character & Starship creator and follow the instructions [url="https://forum.enb-emulator.com/index.php?/topic/7262-how-to-create-the-3-new-classes-npc-skins/"]here[/url].

Spent a bit of time playing last night and this morning, cant believe the experience is exactly as it was back in the day, yet the graphics scale pretty well with current hardware. Loving having widescreen windows side by side that are higher resolution than what I had on pc 10 years ago.

Currently playing the classes I played back in live, TE and JE... its like a fresh game playing again, my poor family
  • Upvote 1

[quote name='dheyworth' timestamp='1349889064' post='64187']
Spent a bit of time playing last night and this morning, cant believe the experience is exactly as it was back in the day, yet the graphics scale pretty well with current hardware. Loving having widescreen windows side by side that are higher resolution than what I had on pc 10 years ago.

Currently playing the classes I played back in live, TE and JE... its like a fresh game playing again, my poor family
[/quote]

Halloween isn't too far away, wonder what the devs have planned for such an event. Same for Christmas. We've had events for these holidays in previous years, so look forward to seeing it in the future.

Edit: For your JE, go to Kitara's Veil talk to The Veil Trader and buy a Navigation Computer as soon as you can use L4 devices. Upgrade it when you can use L7 devices. This device will make you faster. It wasn't around in Live but it greatly benefits the JE, Scout, and TT, but can be used by all classes.

[quote name='drjeff' timestamp='1349814304' post='64172']
There are many things left out of the Emulator that the original "Live" version had.
[/quote]

Heya!

It would be awesome/helpful if you could compile a list of these missing things!

Yay :yes:

One other difference between emulator & live. The 5000 warp cap that was in Live has been removed. You can now warp as fast as your equipment will take you. I routinely travel 7700 with my JE in warp, but JEs can go faster than that. The Scout of course, is faster still, and is the fastest class in warp, when equipped to maximize warp speed.