Error 4 - Can't Find The Patch

If you're talking about the error that occurs during installation when you're downloading all of the launcher's various updates, then I'm surprised to finally be hearing this from someone else, because I've received that error during every installation, no matter what computer or Windows operating system I've used. The solution, believe it or not, is just to press the "Continue" option and move along with the updates; the Launcher will resume updating, and this error will NEVER affect the game. It could be something that affects the dev team's ability to do some kind of server work on their end, who knows, but again, this shouldn't affect the game for you.

In fact, there are a couple of problems with installation that I've never seen addressed and which I'm assuming players generally find out on their own--or don't, and we never hear from them because, obviously, they gave up on installing the game.[color=#ffff00][b] The other issue is during the big client patch that the unified installer now handles.[/b][/color] It has always (even before being a part of the unified installer) tried to apply the patch to a tiny file in the game's main folder named 'e&b', which is only 40-something KB, which is FAR TOO SMALL to be the game client. So I've always manually told the pop-up window to apply the patch to the actual 'Client' file in the Release folder, that file being several thousand KB.

The fact that I've been able to play the game without problems tells me that I'm doing it right, and that the emulator's installation process has been doing it wrong--for years. ;)

[b]Edit:[/b] [b][color=#ffff00]On second thought, after thinking about your post again, your problem could very well be my latter example[/color][/b], if you attempted to apply the patch to the file that the launcher suggests. Here's hoping you give it another try and give some feedback.

If you are launching E&B.exe in the game client folder you will always get this error. This is mentioned in the guide for installation I believe. E&B.exe is the original startup and calls the original patcher which results in an Error#4 because it cannot connect to EA's patch server.

Thanks. Where can I find the actual client then? (I did find a client that works in "release" in my Earth and Beyond folder, but my username and password don't work). I also have the LauncherNet7. It says to select a server and hit play...but there is no play button -_-. I had the unified installer apply the updates to the client, not e&b. I am unable to hit "continue", just "ok", and then it exits the launcher. Edited by TheRedeemer

[quote name='TheRedeemer' timestamp='1349748771' post='64152']
[attachment=1983:Untitled.png]

There you go.
[/quote]Interesting. Did some testing on Vista and launcher scales down to 800x600 resolution fine. Even with 120dpi the play button was there and only slight covered (1280x800 resolution)

I use Windows 7.

EDIT: I found a solution in another thread which involves pressing tab a lot. It works, but it seems like this might be a recurring issue. Hopefully you all can fix it soon. Edited by TheRedeemer