Hull Patch Overpowered

Ryle

[quote name='Rossdie' timestamp='1346656477' post='62784']
Rally cannot be activated on non group members, so why not have the HDC skill be the same?
[/quote]

Or make it so the rally buff can be applied to non-grouped players as well. This would be no more game-breaking than a JD slapping a psi buff on another player he/she happened to be passing by.

Maybe the tier 6 level of skill (use hdc for example here) is the level needed for the buffing of a single friendly target, while the tier 7 would be for a group buff. Just an idea here.

[quote name='Rossdie' timestamp='1346657091' post='62787']
Ok Mynd now you have me thinking, does shield charge work on non group members? Here I have a TT and cannot remember lol.
[/quote]

Yep..remember when we were testing how high we could get our JE's shield caps up to? At any rate, the rally skill is a nice buff that should be able to be activated upon a non-grouped player. The same goes for a hdc type buff if the devs ever decide to change this.

Im really hoping they do, because its a ridiculous thing to give the one thing that makes a PW tank an edge on a TE something that costs so much and returns so little.

I meant even TE rally gives more deflects and so on than PW Trance. There is no item out there that can raise trance only buffs to 50 like the Shark fin does for rally.

It just seems so... messed up. When I found out why HDC wasnt working the way I remember it, I was shocked to see just how bad the PW skills really are at the highest tiers.

Basically the way a TE is set up atm, they can do anything a PW can without an Ivory Ward, an extra device slot, and one less gun, with 2k more range and more speed. Edited by Ryle

Yeah you're right....only the bubble type skills currently work this way. Guess they could make the graphics for these skills bubbles like the rest....whatevers clever lol.

Hopefully they take all this under consideration as it wouldn't hurt anything game-wise.

Ryle,

you say hull patch is overpowered (not your skill), HDC is underpowered (your skill)....You are a Progen - stop WHINING and BE a man !
In the early gate wars we fight in space with our pure fists - we had no magic bubbles and hull patches and damage controls, we threw stones at the attackers floating around Primus. :lol:

HDC is reducing damage for 72% at tier 7, that is a [b]HUGE[/b] damage reduction.

With other words, your Hull is not 82K its more like 320K effective. Add 130K shields and you have almost a half million hitpoints. And this is without bastion, with buffs etc. - with additional buffs and items you becoe even more powerfull.
Ryle....i'm sorry buddy, but i cannot understand the last three pages and i doubt Progen Warriors are going to be overpowered the way you want it.

The only way of making the steps bigger would be [b]NERFING[/b](!) the lower tiers, which is also not happening (you know the community answer already).

If you dont want to spend Skillpoints to the last two tiers - simply dont...its a free space, free decision.
I will tho, since i know that it is also affecting item decay etc.

Overpowered? Are you serious? Name me a single other skill in the game, anywhere, that has the point cost HDC does that gives such small returns on the last two dots. Legit.

Recharge shields doubles twice, hullpatch doubles twice, psi shield doubles twice, repair equipment doubles twice. everything goes up by insane multipliers past skill level 5. look at group cloak. cloaking 6 ships at once.

You dont follow the logic? PWs do not exactly have a lot of skillpoints to spare, in fact they are the profession with the most required points to max everyhing. And their biggest skillpoint sinks diminish return?

[quote name='Zackman' timestamp='1346664690' post='62795']

HDC is reducing damage for 72% at tier 7, that is a [b]HUGE[/b] damage reduction.

[/quote]

And 66.66 at tier 5 for 11 less skillpoints. Still a huge damage reduction at half the cost. Those last two dots need something to make them attractive. 6 percent for 11 points? Come on.

I guess I'm missing something here, all of the skills that double twice are activatable whereas HDC is not. Not that I'm trying to argue the point but, all of those skills also require reactor with the lone exception of HP, which was just changed to be inline with live. I do agree that HDC has some diminishing returns at higher levels, which is why my PW has yet to max his.

• 2 months later...
You... do realize that resistance like that is naturally on a curve of increasing returns, do you not?
Say the numbers are 0% for Abby, 50% for Ben, 66.67% for Cathy, and 75% for Dave, all on a 200 point pool. Ben has a whole fifty percentage points on Abby. Dave only has twenty five percentage points on Ben, so obviously his skill points were only half as effective, right? He only has eight percentage points of difference on Cathy - that's a "tiny difference" according to what i'm hearing here.
Zog the Alien has to blast through their armor. it takes it's space shotgun and shoots Abby twice. 100+100=200. Boom. That was easy.
Now Zog goes for Ben. He only has 50% defense, so what will that take? Three shots? No - Ben needs four shots to pop. 100*(1-0.5)=50. 200/50=4. Ben took twice as much killing.
Next is Cathy. Only seventeen percent better than Ben! 100*(1-66.67)=33.33.. 200/33.33..=6. Cathy needs six shots, THREE TIMES as much killing as Abby did.
Finally, here comes Dave. "Hah! He's only got 8% better defense than Cathy did!" 100*(1-0.75)=25. Bang. Bang. Bang. Bang. Bang. Bang. Bang. Dave is as tough as FOUR Abbys. By this time of course, the tradesman is going "Gee, sorry guys, I had to answer the doorbell.." and tosses a 100 point heal out, negating FOUR of Zod's attacks even though the actual number was equal to Zod's space shotgun.
On CoH, a tank could get up to 90% resistance. TEN TIMES. The difference between being able to survive nine Abbys of damage and ten Abbys is only 1.11%. Oh, and then they could also get a 95% chance for the attack to miss completely, and THAT worked the same way, and then have someone muck with the enemy's base damage and rate of fire. At that point, the rate of incoming damage from basically anything in existence was completely laughable. And the key to it all was in those last teensy couple of percentage points.
The difference between 66.67% and 72% is 0.57143 Abbys. That's more than half of the base hp that the enemy has to shoot through after they killed the Terran. That is.. not small. Indeed, it only takes 16.67% to make the ship so tough that an attack that would vaporize the Terran 66.66..% resistance ship would leave the heavier tank standing and still able to (infinitesimally) survive another blast just as devastating. Edited by JusticeZero