Making Lasers More Intresting To Use

[font=comic sans ms,cursive][size=4]Maybe lasers could be modified[/size][/font]
[font=comic sans ms,cursive][size=4]or add newer ones based on a gattling gun[/size][/font]
with visual and /or audio effects for the like
[font=comic sans ms,cursive][size=4]with better range and firepower by themselves [/size][/font]
[font=comic sans ms,cursive][size=4]without the need to have a device intervention [/size][/font]
[font=comic sans ms,cursive][size=4]this would free up a slot for something better to use[/size][/font] on ship

[quote name='Noreastor58' timestamp='1343930895' post='61302']
[font=comic sans ms, cursive][size=4]Maybe lasers could be modified[/size][/font]
[font=comic sans ms, cursive][size=4]or add newer ones based on a gattling gun[/size][/font]
with visual and /or audio effects for the like
[font=comic sans ms, cursive][size=4]with better range and firepower by themselves [/size][/font]
[font=comic sans ms, cursive][size=4]without the need to have a device intervention [/size][/font]
[font=comic sans ms, cursive][size=4]this would free up a slot for something better to use[/size][/font] on ship
[/quote]

You know I thought about this.
The thing I like about PLs is the sight of them flying through the air in a hale.
I have seen Beam weapons in different games do as what you suggest.
Can you imagine a beam firing with the reload of 0.5 to 0.7 using the sound of the Gouging Claw, frightening and
deafening !

what you're talking about is a pulse beam weapon, which is what a plasma weapon really would be. Instead of seeing 5 hits of plasma damage on a target you would see 5 pulses of plasma firing at and hitting the target in the same amount of time that it would take to reload on a normal beam weapon.

[quote name='GenghisBob' timestamp='1344006685' post='61347']
Maybe that's the weapon's drawback. Combat cloak doesn't work well with it.
[/quote]
There already is. With a weapon that has a rapid fire like that you sometimes decloak and
interupt cloak.
A low damage rapid fire Beam will not add up much for Double damage combat cloak, it would
be a waste of a weapon slot.
A weapon like this will not be good for cloak shooting.
Something like this is strictly for the fun factor but an alternate for PLs that would go to L9.
ooops Phorlaug Edited by Phorth

the ZEM already has a little pulse graphic to it, but instead of continuing the pulse, it shuts off and starts back up again in 2 seconds. I suppose a similar effect to what you mentioned could be had with some of the 1 second delay weapons in the game and plenty of turbo buffs to cut the delay down.

The only way I would like to see this is if it is implemented AFTER Beta. I think it is a fine idea to have weapon diversity, it gives number crunchers like me more options. I think it would be interesting to see a new generation of beams dropping off new raid mobs after the live version is released that have a short enough delay that combat cloak is almost useless, and a blinding/seizure inducing stream of laser pulses arcing to an enemy...but only if they have enough DPS to make them worth using...in other words...they would have to be higher than the 4+ second delay beams...because if they are not, there is no point to it, is there?

If the DPS was high enough to make them at least a viable alternative to the long delay beams and ditching combat cloak, and the devs waited to encode it until after live(because they have enough work to do now, no sense in adding fluff to the list when there are still mechanical issues), I would say, sure...why not. Otherwise, why bother?

The impression I got was that this was just going to be a nice effect. The overall DPS won't be too much different, it'll just look awesome.

I can add a special packet to drive the client to do this so it doesn't create any more UDP traffic. We could have MOBs use the effect too for added awesomeness.

Ohhh....if we aren't talking about 0.5 second delay beams, just a visual effect, then code away my good man! It would be a very nice effect on some of the rare weapons that currently look bland and boring.

A very fast shooting low damage beam doesn't have much use on a Jenquai, but it's not totally useless. If the beam is being used for faction farming, that may be quite useful, if the spawn rate of the mobs in question is very high and there are plenty of them. (since you're trying to kill as many as possible as quickly as possible, and only care about the faction change) The other possible use, would be in combat support, where the beam gives a buff or two that frees up a device slot for something more useful. This may apply more to the JE/JT than the JW, depending on the tactics being used.

The idea of simply altering the graphics of some or all beams to make them more interesting, works for me.

Sounds like a fun project to me... Right now the most exciting beam for me is the proto 9, when you use it at max range it has a rather impressive plasma beam... Just wish my JE had a fourth slot so i could have a split beam-o-death, without losing the buffs of the other beams.. :) Can you code for that too Tien? :P Edited by cappy

[quote name='GenghisBob' timestamp='1344006685' post='61347']
Maybe that's the weapon's drawback. Combat cloak doesn't work well with it.
[/quote]
the weapon doesn't fire 5 times it fires 5 pulses each time, then has to recharge for whatever the refire rate of the beam is. therefor everytime the beam fires you see 5 pulses of plasma (graphically elongated projectiles) each doing it's percentage of the beams damage rating (+ buffs/debuffs) , making no difference to the way cc is used.

I have been playing around with some of my editors and have a couple of samples for you.
[attachment=1674:newlaserEMP.wav] a.k.a.......synth_laser_5
[attachment=1675:newlaserenergy.wav] a.k.a...synth_laser_8
[attachment=1676:newlaserplasma.wav] a.k.a...sfx_new_laser_1_b

[quote name='Tienbau' timestamp='1344057700' post='61391']
kinda like the rapid pulse lasers in Mechwarrior :)
[/quote]

Do you think you can get some lostech for my Jenpie?

I do like the idea of the pulse pattern idea without actually changing the weapons, would offer more unique looking weapons at present or in the future. It is always neat when you can tell what weapons a player is using just by the energy trail or the ammo.

Live there was the named mob beams (granted low level) L2 Sting..from the named mob stinger. It was in the TE start zone semi-rare at the taining navs A.B.C to the west. At the time it was the fastest beam (1 sec.) and had a neat effect, real tight fast energy beam, and had sort of a buzzy, pecking sound to match. What I would imagine a "sting" would be translated into a beam.

[quote name='STRETTCH' timestamp='1343997102' post='61345']
what you're talking about is a pulse beam weapon, which is what a plasma weapon really would be. Instead of seeing 5 hits of plasma damage on a target you would see 5 pulses of plasma firing at and hitting the target in the same amount of time that it would take to reload on a normal beam weapon.
[/quote]

That does sound nice, perhaps a beam that has a crackling electric sound, while it pulses in time with the sound for each shot. Beam could have normal delay between shots.

Here is Three that are in game now.
I'm at work, on a PC with no sound editor.
[attachment=1742:emp_lightning_01.wav]
[attachment=1743:emp_lightning_02.wav]
[attachment=1744:LASERBL.WAV]

Would be nice if that first one wasn't an EMP beam, or if EMP weapons get something to make them worthwhile. In Live under the interrupt system, with the bar on the targeting screen, different types of damage contributed to interrupt faster, and EMP was supposedly the fastest to fill the bar, then instant damage, followed by DoT.

If that's the case, then one thing that supporters could do, is equip EMP weapons, to make it more difficult on mobs to use skills in a group setting. Provided the mob in question isn't immune to or healed by EMP.

• 2 weeks later...
One beam, the asperity of the master, was a different beam. It took dark matter charges that were made by a weapon builder and used as ammo. The buffs (with the exception of turbo) didn't work on the beam unless you had the ammo loaded up on the beam. Been a whilem, don't remeber what the buffs did (maybe if someone has a screenie to help the devs) but remember it was something pretty good and made the beam worth using despite its crappy dps. Also, have the TR once the buffs get working, that has some fun debuffs on it.