Changes To The Hud

I was wondering, is there any possible way to change the Heads Up Display to include an animation to show when a skill has been activated, or is waiting for the cool down timer to run out? Currently skills in activation mode will usually have a sound associated with powering up, as well there is an animation that surrounds your ship to indicate what skill is currently being cast. However, sometimes due to lag or for whatever reason, the animation isn't visible, and all power ups have the same sound for every skill.

A suggestion, if possible, would be to momentarily brighten a skill on the HUD to indicate that the skill has been activated and has completed its power up cycle, and perhaps have the skill greyed out, if it is on a cool down timer. I would also love to see a real timer on each skill on the HUD, perhaps small numbers in the center of each skill, a countdown timer highlighted in red or yellow. It wouldn't even need to have the full duration of the skill, but only the last 5 or 10 seconds of the cool down for example. The rest of the time the skill would be [b]greyed out[/b] indicating it's on a cooldown. This would allow players to know when that skill will become available for use again. When the cooldown has ended, the skill would return to it's normal colour.

I am not sure if the information on the HUD is client side, or can be patched or modded in some fashion. Hopefully there is a workaround?

In Live the skills had a do not symbol on them when they couldn't be used, they also had red around the edges if it were out of range while they had a green cross on them when they were in range. Perhaps that could return and the do not symbol, or the red edges could be there. Another possiblity is the countdown clock for that's used on devices that have a cool down before reuse, or that is there while items are installing

Obligatory screenshots:

[img]http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p73/Terrell_072/ScreenShot21-1.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p73/Terrell_072/ScreenShot11.jpg[/img]

+1
I remember this and I think it would be a good feature to have come back :P
But also I'd love if the countdown timer was displayed on the item on the HUD (cooldown's and install times even)
I'd fancy a countdown for when items are first available, without hovering over each slot when buffing :D

i would be happy just for the red out when skills are out of range and the casting icon so i know if a heal has started casting when there are enough mobs/players to cause 1+ second lag.

EDIT: As far as a countdown or other things, that could get tricky because if they start modifying the client this goes from the grey area straight to the black (cease and desist letter territory). Edited by Reon

[quote name='Reon' timestamp='1343839114' post='61233']
EDIT: As far as a countdown or other things, that could get tricky because if they start modifying the client this goes from the grey area straight to the black (cease and desist letter territory).
[/quote]

The Client has already been modified lol, it's a different game - a replica. Afaik, new content is on the agenda too down the road.

New content and client modifications are different. I'd imagine that the range circle would be doable (if the developers know how to activate it), along with showing a skill unavailable (as both of these were functioning in live). The rest, I don't know.

[quote name='Hatu' timestamp='1343860139' post='61269']
The Client has already been modified lol, it's a different game - a replica. Afaik, new content is on the agenda too down the road.
[/quote]

see below post:

[quote name='Dakynos' timestamp='1343952400' post='61316']
New content and client modifications are different. I'd imagine that the range circle would be doable (if the developers know how to activate it), along with showing a skill unavailable (as both of these were functioning in live). The rest, I don't know.
[/quote]

Client is the stuff like character and ship textures and the way it all interfaces...the graphics and how they are used. The server is what keeps track of what sectors are open, where the navs are in that sector, what level your ship is, and what graphic an archos has when it fires. To put it plainly, the way I understand it, the Emu could make an archos looks like a DG beam when it fired, and it would not be a copyright violation. However, if you wanted to put more than 6 hotbar buttons on the UI, it would be.

Would it be possible to create a HUD MOD on top of the client? Adding MODs would allow a variety of HUDs to be chosen from a pick list, perhaps by way of a slash command. The client wouldn't be changed but added to, or perhaps this is just semantics from legals point of view.