Akeron's Gate Nav Points

Inverness

This is a minor recommendation for a nav point or two connecting the gates in the Akeron's Gate sector so that you don't have to fly in an arc to reach the other gate.

There are probably some other sectors that could use a few new nav points because you end up plotting a course between stuff that isn't a beacon (Primus).

There are a few places that could use a more direct route...

...but with a powerful enough reactor/engine combo (I use the quested lv.4 Jenquai reactor and a Mercurius 3 engine with Laz and RR+) and can very nearly clear that awful hop in Yokan from to Castor/Izuachta(sp) gate to Sirius gate with a free warp

Or hit (x) in certain sectors to facilitate the hops.

Typically in the above scenario coming out of the Castor gate and routing toward Siruis, I hit x to target the Ketsugo outpost, and then free warp to the Sirius gate.

There are a few places that could use a more direct route...

...but with a powerful enough reactor/engine combo (I use the quested lv.4 Jenquai reactor and a Mercurius 3 engine with Laz and RR+) and can very nearly clear that awful hop in Yokan from to Castor/Izuachta(sp) gate to Sirius gate with a free warp

Or hit (x) in certain sectors to facilitate the hops.

Typically in the above scenario coming out of the Castor gate and routing toward Siruis, I hit x to target the Ketsugo outpost, and then free warp to the Sirius gate.

I've always felt that one of the benefits of higher levels of Navigate should be better calculation of warp routes. The route in NE from the Carp gate to Somerled is crazy, for instance. It would be great if as one progressed to higher lvls of Navigate more efficient nav routes were calculated - maybe with max Nav giving freewarp-like direct routes. How about in Glenn? If the player has mapped out the ore fields it would be great to have the more direct diagonal routes from the Carp/Slayton gates to the Saturn/SE gates.

Thats how it was in live, just free warp :(

I hope we can fix stuff that was clearly designed poorly in live to enhance the experience going forward. This would be a good one to do.

Aragoth prime has horrible pathing all the way around the center if going to/from VG and Mus. BBW gates are a bit screwy as well.

I have to agree as well, once you have all the nav points in a system, you should be able to take the most direct routes in most cases. I can understand exception for sectors like Jotenheim, in that there is a planet in the way of the most direct route, but if you're in AP, as a previous poster mentioned, and you need to travel between the Muspleheim and VG gates it makes no sense to have to go near Chernovog Station to do so. There's not anything significant in the way, from a role-playing perspective, that you shouldn't be able to plot a warp course above (north of) the planet in the middle of the sector.

Another one, is if you have all the navs in ABA mapped, and you need to go from the Saturn Gate to ECS Dauntless, makes more sense to go through the Asteroid nav, and the navs "behind" ECS Dauntless, relative to how you would arrive there from ABG or Earth, than to warp all the way around.

This is a very thoughtful suggestion; however...

Last I knew the dev team's goal was to get EnB back to exactly the way it was first, so this would definitely be a change from live. The sector is almost exactly the same as it was originally, because we were lucky to have some "golden data" on it from captured packets from late 2003 just before sunset. It is such a small sector that warping around vs. directly doesn't take too much time. Even low level characters can freewarp this distance, if they wish. Back in live, I could freewarp any sector, exactly on the mark (lots of practice, sadly, heh) with my JW with just average engines.

Navigate just saves energy and gives you "instawarp", which is very nice if you get jumped and need to escape fast. That's pretty valueable. I don't think we need to add to the skill (yet).

Is it just my fading memory but doesnt high warp speed (with higher level engines) cause more efficient route taking, missing out a few of the beacons. It never ironed out the dog-legs like Glenn and Carp but I'm sure it was quicker/shorter.

In agreement with the points above, free-warp does the trick once you suss aligning, and then higher nav and things like Laz help for the last minute course change. I guess if warping around the systems isnt your thing then you need to go for a char with WH skills !

The route in NE from the Carp gate to Somerled is crazy, for instance.

What makes this particular example annoying is that it routes differently in each direction :)