Off-Topic - Other Space Games.

I'm sorry if this is the wrong place, but I didn't see an off-topic board here and I wanted to ask the knowledgable people here.

The combat and flying in EnB don't seem to be all that exciting so far, but I like going out and mining and trading about. I have not gotten to a high level yet (under 30), so perhaps my impressions of combat and flying are not a complete picture.

Does anyone know if there are any other space games like Earth and Beyond that are sort of casual and still have the various activities one might find in EnB, but have a slightly more action oriented bent to them?

I have Freelancer, but everything that isn't combat in that game feels kind of hollow to me. I have thought of playing Eve a dozen times, but that seems like it is even less action oriented. I think by action I am trying to describe a slightly more "twitchy" experience.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. It might be that the experience that I am looking for just doesn't exist yet too.

Play a Jenquai, get EL25 for Combat Cloak, and when you do combat, try to stay behind your enemy, shooting him in the back. Whenever you're not shooting, you should be cloaked or powering up cloak.

Wow you got freelancer I played that a few times. Darkstar was also great. I bought X3 but just played it for a few hours then I gave up, at that time the controls were a bit tricky for me and folks told me that it's better with a joystick. As for mmo's this is the only one I have played.

If I was to give a MMORPG I think I would give [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdulyrAkvX4"][color=#00ff00]Vendetta [/color][/url]another go.
Its IMO not bad, Keep in mind it is open PvP if iirc and don't crash into a asteroid
they will destroy you. When you die you will loose everything you have in and the current ship
your flying when you die.

IIRC, you register at a base that you have your extra ship stationed or you will have to buy
another ship. Your Cash or credits can be stored in each and every station you have visited.
or decide to keep your ship, goods or Cash/credits.

Please keep in mind I am telling you this from memory.
Where were we? Oh yes Vendetta.
Many many ships and weapons to choose from, nice sound tracks.
Youtube Vid below.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdulyrAkvX4"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdulyrAkvX4[/url]

For people who remember Elite, there's a remake called Oolite, which is open source freeware. I haven't played it, but it's supposed to be good.

I've played EVE Online, but the game focuses on intrigue and strife. The developers push the cynical point of view so strongly that the game makes players quite paranoid about spies, theft, and sabotage. They've embraced cutthroat, unbridled competition and push a 'trust is for the naive' worldview. If not for that, I would love the game, but suspicion permeates player society. The environment became too anti-social for me.

[quote name='Daulnay' timestamp='1343425147' post='61019']

I've played EVE Online, but the game focuses on intrigue and strife. The developers push the cynical point of view so strongly that the game makes players quite paranoid about spies, theft, and sabotage. They've embraced cutthroat, unbridled competition and push a 'trust is for the naive' worldview. If not for that, I would love the game, but suspicion permeates player society. The environment became too anti-social for me.
[/quote]

I was in EVE beta. It was too much like work, you need a spreadsheet to keep up with everything and the griefers were like fleas on a dog. Minding my own business mining and some Poof in a Battlecruiser shows up and puts one unit of his ore in my container just to screw with me. Don't need that kind of garbage....why I return to E & B over and over. :)

You can also check out Black Prophacy....

http://blackprophecy.com/

FYI the client is HUGE!... so have a very fast connection...

Many freelancer parallels but a distinct game of its own... and its free to try...