Auto Follow

I was wondering if there is a way to line up my ship first before engaging thrusters to follow a mob. Currently if I engage follow, my ship tends go in a huge arc before lining up behind the mob. I would suggest turning the ship first to line up with the mob, then engage the thrusters. This would eliminate some of the weird pathing my ship takes when it auto follows.

Well if the ship would turn to face the mob on the spot instead of moving first that would help. No matter where the mob is. If it's behind me, the ship will do a 180 and then start thrusters, Hitting space to follow will only work if you have a mob targeted anyways Littlej, the problem is the ship starts moving first and then tries to line up while moving - 2 vectors at once. it would be best to orientate first then move.

hey this was a good call, I've updated the follow system so there's a gradual speed buildup the more you're pointing toward the target, if you're facing more than 90 degrees away the engines are cut completely.

Follow works a lot better now.

It held up Beta though :P

• 8 months later...

Sadly, the fix didn't make it thru to live, and when following Oni in Xipe Totec you are once again stuck in a death spiral while cloaked, forever circling until either you stop following and re engage, or you manage to close the angle of attack and fire at which point the Oni stops to attack now that cloaked has been disengaged.

It would also be real beneficial for Jenquai to be able to engage follow from a much further distance than 5k, as it should be closer to the max range or MLs or PLs. Terrans and Progens do not need to follow mobs and prefer to stay further away while attacking mobs. This is the exact opposite of Jenquai, who use the follow mechanics to bring themselves within optimal beam range. I have suggested before that any class should be able to engage follow up to their maximum scan range. Progens and Terrans can cut engines (disengage follow) when within firing range, and Jens can keep follow on right up until the mob is dead if they wished. 

The fix is in - the engines are cut when not facing the object. You align first, then thrust is applied.
I wasn't able to reproduce the "ONI spiral" - just tested it.

It would also be real beneficial for Jenquai to be able to engage follow from a much further distance than 5k

Beams: Damage falloff

Currently the follow range is calculated from the optimal weapon range of every class.

Eg. a beam user is staying in the range of 50% of the range of his shortest beam weapon. Longer range would make the follow-function useless for short-range classes imho.

Terrans and Progens do not need to follow mobs and prefer to stay further away while attacking mobs.

1. Since Progens (Tanks) are almost everytime leading groups, the must stay closer for the beam users in group

2. Progens also like to stay close because they use devices and skills as well, which are 2.5K range in most cases

Beams: Damage falloff

Currently the follow range is calculated from the optimal weapon range of every class.

Eg. a beam user is staying in the range of 50% of the range of his shortest beam weapon. Longer range would make the follow-function useless for short-range classes imho.

1. Since Progens (Tanks) are almost everytime leading groups, the must stay closer for the beam users in group

2. Progens also like to stay close because they use devices and skills as well, which are 2.5K range in most cases

I don't believe Algaron was asking for the following distance to change. He was hoping it would be possible to engage the follow command from a further distance. Right now if you engage follow from say 10k out, it will just point at the mob and sit there. Are the two items tied together? Being able to activate the follow command while further than 5k would be nice.

Thank you Twodogs - that is exactly correct. Perhaps I should bring you along to translate when I talk to Devs whose mother tongue is English as well.  :P

I have suggested previously that toons would be able to engage follow, not from a set distance like 5 or 10k, but instead the toons would be able to engage follow based on their scan range.

Put my vote in for being able to engage follow on anything you can see, it only makes sense.

Wasn't it that way before and it was changed to 5k? I seem to remember you could hit autofollow on anything you could target (mob wise) and begin following it. For some reason I forget it was changed to the 5k distance, back in st3 or early st4.