Build From Vault

What do you mean? The vendor windows already tell you how much of something you have, even if its in your vault, right?

... The day before I posted that, I was at a vendor reading the parts lists and visually verified that a component I could see in my vault was not tallied in the vendor window. I said to myself "crap I thought it did that - I'll add it to the suggestion later when I check on it" and dragged one of the comps over to the ship inv for building.

I will check it again tho, thanks for the heads-up.

>>>

Aaand it looks fine now. I guess I was just mistaken. Or stupid. That happens too sometimes :\

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I thought I'd add to the suggestion - instead of making it an either - or situation, make it "both" with the ship inventory read first and the vault inventory read second. For people who'd rather use the ship inv, that preserves the same method of putting the comps you want to use in the ship inventory, and for people like me who stockpile random comps in the vault, it allows us to run up to the term instead of fishing around in the vault for the right comps (which share icons and levels with wrong comps, thereby making it an annoying chore :o.

This I like. Good idea, good compromise.

• 3 months later...
The question is Why do items have to be in hold to build?

Thinking from the builders perspective, I am in a station... At the Manufacturing terminal... why would I put things into my ship from a vault (that should be on the station I am at) in order to build something.

Wouldn't it be more realistic, and much more convienient if the components that I use to build something could be pulled from my vault when I build it?

Just an idea, No idea on how complicated that would be to implement. :)

Might be better to use your hold if you have multiple of one of the parts you need to build the item. The one you use would be the one in your hold, if you don't want to use the one in your vault. Say you have some 200% comps and some that are 100%, by putting the 200% ones in your hold you make sure that you use the best comps for your build.

I don't think it worked that way in Live.
How hard to make work ? - Coders place to say.
I do however remember building Ammo and having it flow into the Vault when the hold was full, although that may have been Post Sunset.
I guess you will have to wait and see who else pokes their head into this thread.

That is a good point, and I had not thought of that.

Perhaps a drag and drop to move the item into the terminal would be good or an Alt/Click to override the auto load of a part. (Where Shift/click moves from valut to hold and vise versa.

It would mean paying close attention to what you have in there before you push the Manu button.

[quote name='Evermore' timestamp='1307552958' post='41888']
I don't think it worked that way in Live.
How hard to make work ? - Coders place to say.
I do however remember building Ammo and having it flow into the Vault when the hold was full, although that may have been Post Sunset.
I guess you will have to wait and see who else pokes their head into this thread.
[/quote]

You are correct, if you had comps in hold and was mass building ammo, it would drop to vault if you exceeded hold capacity and continue until you had filled all of vault. It really helped when you was doing a mass build of ammo for a customer. It would not build from vault though, for the reasons postulated, you needed to segregate comps somehow so player made and loot comps didn't mix while building.

I believe the developer documents attribute this to something in your ship's computer being responsible for your recipes, but really it was just an arbitrary limitation to the client I would imagine. As for whether we can overcome that, you'd need someone more experienced in the dark ways of the Aux and perhaps of manipulating the client. Perhaps TB or David would be a better party to answer the question without slaughtering it.

Now as for whether we should, I'd aim for getting people to list any pros/cons that come to mind.

[quote name='Jarod' timestamp='1307571548' post='41911']
[url="https://enb-emulator.com/index.php?/topic/2379-manufactoring-from-vault/"]This topic[/url] again . . . again? :blink:
[/quote]

Sorry Jarod, didn't know it came up before... Asked and Answered? If so, please redirect this post to the other and we will close the discussion.

Sorry!

[quote name='Zenshau' timestamp='1307572650' post='41916']
Sorry Jarod, didn't know it came up before... Asked and Answered? If so, please redirect this post to the other and we will close the discussion.

Sorry!
[/quote]

Oh no, I'm not a mod, just pointing to the thread where the topic has been fairly well discussed (IMO). That's not to say that new ideas can't be added - perhaps a MOD can merge this with the thread I linked to?

• 2 weeks later...
I had asked this question way back when I was on the EnB Beta for Westwood and it was explained to me as follows from the Beta Support staff:
"You Vault is a section of your ships hold that is not readily available, that is why it is only accessible in station, and is not unique to each station. Your Hold is your easy access storage, and as such anything you want to work with must be there. We want it to feel as though the station equipment cannot move items from your vault easy enough for you to be able to work from your vault."

Yes...lol I remember that convoluted explaination....of course later (once live) they discarded that explaination and admitted that the vaulting and hold system had its limitations (remember.this game was cutting edge for its time...nobody had DONE vaults and holds etc.) They always promised to revisit expansion of vaults etc. and guild vaults. And had found out that the coding was so buried and enmeshed in other things that they really couldn't alter it without changing the client in a segnificant manner.

They were able to do 2 things, as small as the vault is now...it actually was smaller believe it or not! hehe, when you scroll down to see that stuff in the bottom panes..it didn't used to scroll..all you could see on the screen was how big the vault was..so imagine your vault 1/3 smaller and be grateful :P.

The second thing they were able to do was for the ore holders..there was a device obtainable via MCP that "compressed" ores, it let you fit more ores per stack instead of 300 it was 900? cant remember...., they weren't able to alter comp stacks though as that was hard coded. And they said that they had expanded the vault to max also as it was coded to that.

Can you imagine how rockin it could have been if they had foresaw things like vendor buybacks, guild vaults, character sharespace vaults etc? But we learn as we go and todays games were built on what was good about the old and improving on it.

[quote name='Enzo Matrix' timestamp='1308606774' post='42342']
I had asked this question way back when I was on the EnB Beta for Westwood and it was explained to me as follows from the Beta Support staff:
"You Vault is a section of your ships hold that is not readily available, that is why it is only accessible in station, and is not unique to each station. Your Hold is your easy access storage, and as such anything you want to work with must be there. We want it to feel as though the station equipment cannot move items from your vault easy enough for you to be able to work from your vault."
[/quote]
Actually this explaination makes far more sense than any other I have ever heard. It would explain why the vault contains all the things from station to station etc. Thank you.

• 4 weeks later...
Since we are on this topic, can you increase the vault size by... I donno, 5x so we don't have to create vault alts? ^_^

And could we increase the trade unit amount from 6 to something higher?

Maybe add some freeze dried icecream drops?

I took your suggestion and merged this with the older thread.

Also, I'll say that this:

"Your Vault is a section of your ships hold that is not readily available, that is why it is only accessible in station, and is not unique to each station. Your Hold is your easy access storage, and as such anything you want to work with must be there. We want it to feel as though the station equipment cannot move items from your vault easy enough for you to be able to work from your vault."

As others have said, it makes perfect sense. Why climb over those 20 cases of sprockets to get that component when you are floating in space... who knows - you could be attacked by pirates while you're back there poking around!

As far as JBaz goes, I'm sure trade changes will be coming later when the balancing goes on. I too would like to see some higher level trade goods and a few other adjustments.

• 2 weeks later...
Seems like the hold should have priority so if you were building an item, the terminal should look at the hold first and the vault second. This way you could transfer the item(s) you want used for the build to the hold if there are other versions of the item you want left alone. For non-uber items, you just leave everything in the vault.

The game already counts the items in your vault and hold when determining how many you own.

(Now this idea may not be possible but..) if you could change the background of the boxes that show the comp needed in the terminal to reflect where the item is coming from. This would offer some feedback to the player to prevent mistakes (i.e. green background for hold items, Blue background for vault items)

• 3 weeks later...
[quote name='Kyp' timestamp='1275754344' post='17981']
Bolded that to draw attention to something. ;)
[/quote]

Yeah, that was my thought. I keep reminding myself this is very old technology. :) If it worked a certain way, it was probably because it wasn't coded to work another way.

• 10 months later...
Hello there,

don't know if it has been suggested.. if so, burn this thread and link to me another.

As the title says, why not being able to build out of the vault instead of drag'n'dropping stuff you need for the one thing.

of course the cargohold would be primary and only if there's something missing the terminal would check the vault

CM

I think this suggestion has nothing to do with coding or technology and everything to do with game mechanics and design. This was one of Westwood's design decisions and they likely had, as the post from Enzo aludes to, very specific reasons on why it was setup this way. Opening your vault up for all access at all times and for any purpose sounds cool......but what does that do to the whole idea of "you have a limited hold and you need to manage it." EnB Live was all about benefits and negatives. You had the benefit of a very large vault but you had the limitation of only being able to access it when in stations and could not access it from build terminals....oh wait...you can. You just have to drag the items from your vault to your hold before they can be processed.....you know.....kind of like cooking from the fridge "dammit Jim I shouldn't have to move the eggs out of the fridge in order to cook them....that's just crazy" This basic design is a positive and a negative and it works! In fact it works so well that 99% of MMO's use this same setup.....so weird.

Sorry for being snippy about this but I see zero reason to have any time wasted by the devs even reading this. Worse, enabling this would likely lead to a 'slippery slope.' Where would the stopping point of this be and who would really benefit? IE: "wait, you opened the vault up for terminals why can't I access it across multiple toons at the station or when I am in space. It's my ship and I should be able to do with it what I want." How lazy does a player have to be to find it difficult to access their vault (1 click), grab the items they need and transfer it to their hold (1-6 clicks), and use in the terminals (1-click)? I mean really, is saving 8 clicks or 20 seconds worth it? :P Edited by Crichton

Know nothing of code but is there a way this would just work for say Ammo an comps all equip able items Parts would have to be in hold . No way of useing wrong parts for that. its not hard to move ammo comps back an forth but is pretty time consuming when you use a few different types of ammo . Same with comps an since parts % isnt an issue with ammo or comp parts no mistakes . Edited by Grips