Pvp Idea Summary (Taken From "how To Make It Fun")

Ryle

This thread is a spin off from:
[url="https://forum.enb-emulator.com/index.php?/topic/6408-if-pvp-were-added-how-to-make-it-fun-for-all/page__st__40"][color=#00ff00]https://forum.enb-emulator.com/index.php?/topic/6408-if-pvp-were-added-how-to-make-it-fun-for-all/page__st__40[/color][/url]
There is some good ideas in that topic.
I really didn't want this topic to die.

[color=#00ff00]For testing purposes.[/color]
I would still like to see a sector with 2 or 3 gates in it say like Neptune (where ever),
If you want.
Make it hard to gain access to PvP with an item you'll need in your hold to do PvP. (Mission Chain)

With that PvP access you'l get a new PvP shield with 3,500,000+ hit points, making every player as strong as Zethren-Ti. So theres No Ganking unless you fall asleep!
Because the shields are so strong it'll take a group(s) to take down 1 player.
This shield is only usable in the PvP zone and will revert to 0 hit points when you leave PvP.

When the shield is installed the Players name will be Red while they are in space, to alert them they still have the "0" hit point PvP shield installed. so their guild or group mates won't let them fly into a Fish Bowl with a "0" shield.

[attachment=2017:PhorPvp.JPG]

No pain and no gain [u]just fun.[/u] (For now).

That is an interesting idea, the shield. My only concern on it would be for those players who genuinely enjoy 1v1 combat. It also would make the jenquai fairly useless since their stealthstrikes would be shrugged off by a 3.5M shield. If it was more like 1M, I could see the potential there, but something that high just makes cloak and dagger unworkable.

• 2 weeks later...
[quote name='Ryle' timestamp='1342043753' post='60343']
Replay value. You can and will die dozens of times in PvP in a very short amount of time. It would be like being a TT was in a live fishbowl, all the time. 2mil+ xp debt and you might as well never equip any of your good gear, ever.

Besides, there is no tangible reward to pvp, players dont drop uber loots and so forth. The only thing you win is seeing them blow up. If you add in insult to injury with no reward, no one would do it.

PvP for the sake of PvP, but dont wreck your stuff doing it. They made that mistake with EvE, if you die you lose it all, and we know all the negative reviews the replay value on that game gets.
[/quote]

Yep most games that have a good pvp system quality loss is less than negligible. Most games do not count damage to gear in the pvp scene as you said you can die numerous times repeatedly. The end reward of those that do it good make pvp gear available per points gained. The game that had (before I quit paying monthly sub fee) that did a good job was Rift, where you can go neutral for 99.9% of the game as long as you did not try to step foot into the opposition home base/city then you were auto flagged pvp and killed on the spot by boss level +++ npcs. If you wanted to pvp you could flag yourself and you could even totally turn off pvp if you were in an area where players that wanted pvp and came into your side's area to get it. They made it so that it could be turned off to the point of your choice, some would come into an area event flagged pvp and if they were within range of your AOE attack you would be flagged unless you had the option turned off. Rift had a great system and alot of thought was put into it unlike games like EVE where if you went out of "secure" space unless you were in a large corp, you were dead. It was even to the point of posting jobs that cost tons to start then you get raped by the poster of the job for monetary gain at a low security exit point of travel.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I am sure this is necro'ing this thread...but I have a little bit more input on how to make the PVP idea workable once the PVE game is ironed out.

The easiest way to make this work in my opinion is to keep PVE and PVP completely separate, just like the arena was. Keep multiple sectors to keep levels in check, just like the arena did. The gates lead off to the same version of a sector...make it a LARGE map, perhaps the size of Ardus.

Next, ensure that the map does not have any drops that one cannot find in non PVP areas. A increase in drop rates or spawn times or something small to perhaps lure non pvp players in there to hunt or mine every once and a while if they choose, but nothing so epic as to force people who have no desire to PVP into these zones.

Add a base just outside the PVP sector so pilots do not have to fly all the way back from wherever they were last docked. Add a gate turret that blows anyone up that attempts to fight at the gate inside the PVP sector to prevent "spawn camping".

Finally, add a weapon or device that only works inside the PVP area to level the playing field for the classes that normally don't have a chance in the arena to fix the stealth imbalances. By adding gear that only is beneficial in the PVP zones will allow fine tuning of these areas without affecting PVE balance. Adding a reward system for player kills,ect to spend on PVP only gear will help "fix" the imbalance that naturally occurs from raid geared players mowing down normal PVP players.

These suggestions will allow for PVP to occur in a healthy environment, discourage the more common forms of griefing, allow the devs to balance the game inside the PVP areas without affecting the PVE environment, and allow both PVP and PVE players to remain relatively happy.

Most of these ideas have been mentioned, but compiling some and adding others into one post will hopefully allow a model others can critique and perhaps that the devs can someday build on/modify once the standard coding of the ENB we all know and love is finished.

• 2 weeks later...

Oh no by all means keep the suggestion alive, I personally love this thread and would love to see PvP back in this game.  I just know the back end issues/coding issues brought up at meetings that make it a daunting task riddled with potential bugs and so on.

I will work to see it added some day, but I doubt it would be any time soon, given the limitations and time involved.  We (others on the team) have made attempts in the past, but we havent figured out the nuts and bolts to actually make it work as yet.

• 5 months later...