Let The Jenq (Or Any Beam User) "flash Their Headlights" At Mobs

I was thinking of an interesting twist on beams. Extend their range to lock and fire out to like 3x normal, but implement the damage reduction to 0% past the beam's normal range.

The purpose is to let beam users do exactly what the title says - flash their beams at a mob out of range to attract its attention. The theory is even if the beams are too weak at that distance to do damage, they're still extremely bright and highly focused, and therefore can create at least a minimal amount of aggro.

The net effect would be giving Jenqs a way to pull mobs out of crowded areas for a mano y Jenqo fight. They're weaker in direct combat, so engaging something where they can be swarmed is a real tactical problem. This would help all of the lower levels that don't have Combat Cloak yet, and also open up some freedom for any changes that may need to be made to CC to address other issues.

Turn your engines towards the mob and use the Teleport Enemy skill (L3-4 Fold Space) if you're a JE or JT. This will teleport the mob in the direction you're facing. You may need to teleport him more than once. The big thing is to tone down the tethering effect that seems to happen with Teleport Enemy.

I know that works (mostly) T, but it doesn't help the weaker combat race when they're weakest - no CC, no shields/good guns (unless you can find the darn Novaflash guy), points going into Prospect/Negotiate, etc.

I thought it might also give a reason for other races to mix beams into groups, esp. with range extenders like the Swamp cooler. People could use it tactically to split groups, etc.

Just a thought for the future maybe.

It can still work, if you simply add teleportation (which has a low energy cost) into your tactics. The big thing is how much will mobs resist the skill when it's balanced. Use the FS skill only enough to get/keep him away from his buddies, then you can still use Cloak fire cloak tactics. The main problem right now is tethering, which causes the mobs to fly very fast back to their spawn point.

The way around the tethering problem I describe in another thread, about using my JT solo against the 56, 58, 60 Drones in BBW. In this thread I describe how I used FS, to get the mob's buddies to tether, while leaving the target mob to continue coming towards me. Not sure if it's fixed, but tethering could be exploited to make mobs drop aggro and leave by any toon with L3 Fold Space. Pointed it out in [url="https://forum.enb-emulator.com/index.php?/topic/6591-tethering-behaviour/"]this thread[/url].

[quote name='will' timestamp='1340433629' post='59584']
Could just run a prototype, still deal damage while you flash them.
[/quote]

I dunno, people are pretty rigid about things that can be prceived to advantage one class over another. Since there's no PvP class vs class balance doesn't matter in the least, but they still go off over it.

I don't know that reduced damage at long range would be effective, except for gaining aggro so you can split groups better.

• 2 months later...
I use Teleport Enemy all the time to pull mobs out of a group....I move in just enough to get in range, turn around and Teleport them away from group to a direction somewhere ahead of me...and hit them again as soon as they materialize....i will usually hit them 3 times and then cloak and attack.....3 foldspaces away is far out of range of their buddies. Most mobs immediately make a fast bee-line back to their comrades, so i usually have to make sure i can intercept them as they try to get back to the pack I drew them from. I have also used Summon in a similar way, although I have to get much closer to the mob before I am in range. But its possible to summon and turn around and teleport them away a few times to a nice quiet kill spot.

[size=5][font='lucida sans unicode', 'lucida grande', sans-serif]RIANA[/font][/size]