To All That This Applies

Firstly, I am known as Drexen, Draex, Drexion in EnB. Now the other day I got into yet another discussion with several individuals ( why is it these guys come in packs, its never just one it is multitude like one person cannot defend him/herself by themselves.) about how I am handling/playing my JD/JS incorrectly and that I have to do things everyone else's way. Now if everyone wants to fallow a specific way and fallow what everyone else is doing then so be it. I do not fallow, I lead. Now I can see if I was having serious issues with my character when it comes to combat, which I am not having any issues at all. In fact I manage to stay alive in some of the most grueling circumstances that most people kringe at. I have not died yet and again I manage to do quite well. (other then me biting off more then I can chew, when I got brave enough to tackle GoBB a few times alone, or when wondered right in on Troller territory)

I am getting fed up with having these discussions and it always ends up I am an idoit, I do not know what I am doing yadda yadda yadda. I do know what I am doing, I have not asked for anyones help in regards to how I play my character. If and when I want or need help I will ask. Yes, to everyone who plays a jenpie, I do know how to fight like you guys do. it is not a "Secret", I do not need to be trained on how you play your characters, and yes I do have the equipment to play the way you do.

HOTM
GOD
ED
DG
BS
The only thing I lack is a Martyrs Heart, if I set my mind to it I can get one very easy.

But instead I choose to use shorter reloaded weapons for the fighting style I have adaopted, it works for me.

Heart of the Dragon
DP
EOD
DG
BS
EOFF
Along with a few dozen other devices that are at my disposal that I can use for just about any situation I find myself in.

i am getting tired of having to explain myself to just about everyone who apprently is a expert on being a "JD,JE,JS". i do not claim to be one, but I do know how to play one. And people wondered why no one seen my ugly non JD playing ass (this seems to be the concensus on what everyone else thinks about me) on EnB for the last Six months. Basically I bolted left, did not return, uninstalled EnB, never reinstalled it, I did not even come here to the forums either. In fact i completely forgot what my account was and its password. This was one of the major reasons (if you don't understand why read above), there was 1 other reason but that I hold to myself.

Now I am all for discussing different tactics, or ways that could possibly improve our combat capabilities, but I refuse to listen to anyone who is un-willing to even listen. You know exactly who you are.

So what I cannot solo GoBB, or the FB bosses, or the Troller, but I can solo everything else in this game which means I must be doing something right. if someone asks me what type of weapons they need to use on a Jenpie i will give them my opinoin, again it is my opinoin, it is based off what i learned on how I do things. There is always more then one way to do things, basically more then one way to skin a cat.

I leave you with this, It is my character. I will play it how ever I seem fit. Don't like it tough, that is not my issue. i don't tell you how to play yours do not tell me how to play mine. if you want to discuss different ways of doing something and are willing to have an open mind and listen then I am all eyes. Until then please leave your opinoins about how I do things out of it.

I do not wish to get any one in trouble, this is not the purpose of this post. The purpose is because I cannot say this in game (limitations on characters and such, plus it would not get the message out clear enough).
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Straight up, what works for you works for you. I try to teach people the best min/max setup to get the most bang for their buck. I do it with progen, i do it with whatever I play or learn.

Just because it works for you doesnt mean it is going to work as well as it might for another player. I was one of those individuals arguing with you for a reason.

The reason long refire weapons work better is because of the CC cycle. When you are engaging cloak there is a 3-4 second window before you fire again where nothing is firing. Youre losing DPS. Your 2 and 4 second beams (anything under 6 seconds with turbo) are missing whole refire cycles.

You would stack for 8 second reloads or greater, fire one salvo, engage cloak. By the time youre cloaked, you can refire all guns again, thus not missing any of your DPS potential. (all five beams cooldown during the cloaking process, thus all five fire on each salvo, one time, and coincidentally are actually refiring as often as they are capable of if you were firing them uncloaked)

You use the highest cap reactor you can get, in this case the Cygnus and HOTM reactors are the largest caps. (and the HOTM has a higher beam enhance buff than the EoFF, you dont really "need" an intolerance with it, thus saving a device slot, the beam energy buff from the EoFF or Deadly Focus is something to consider, but with an 8k reactor cap and a martyr, you most likely wont need it - unfortunately the sunfocus is missing from the EMU and that would be your long CD beam with the energy conserve on it.) When your reactor gets low, you simply martyr heart on one of your decloaks, and continue your cycle.

I aint ripping you dude, far be it from me to ever do so, I have played JD for like a month. But I listen to others, observe, and learn, and I was making the same mistake on short refires before. Once I switched and got a martyr the whole game changed. Id venture to say my DPS increased by a factor of 2. Edited by Ryle

There are no advantages to using your setup over the popular one. While they both can achieve the same DPS, yours requires more effort and attention, and is either dependent on a Coma, which uses more energy and a valuable device slot, or loses DPS to compensate.

The Heart of the Dragon reactor is the correct choice for your setup though, since you won't be spending much, if any, time cloaked, you can benefit from its high recharge, possibly enough to not need a martyr's.

Speaking as a PP player who has the same level ML skill as PL and uses it, I agree completely. Do what works best. MLs have a long recycle time and long range, so when backing a group, I can damp my sig, hang back to avoid aggro and do shield recharges for the group while maintaining full ML DPS.

The ML DPS can't match the [b]theoretical[/b] DPS of PLs, but I can back the entire group much better, and that's more important to our success. I would also argue that the real DPS lost when using PLs and retargeting to group members for recharges is probably more than the theoretical loss from using MLs.

You should see the comments I get though. I swear half the server population acts like pod people.

Re your shorter-timed style, it is true that you would lose some DPS vs a long-cycle weapon when cloaking. However, I'll point out that major reason you lose DPS is because the long cycle weaps are generally DoT weaps, and in this game, DoT weaps have SUPERIOR DPS to direct fire weaps.

This is in direct contradiction to the conventional wisdom of the entire gaming industry regarding weapon balance. I mean, why stand and fight if you can run away and still do the same damage? So DoTs are always kept weaker than direct weapons in order to maintain the most possible valid ways to play.

So your tactics are running up against that situation too. Were the weapon damage types in the usual balance, you'd see lots of people using your tactics.

Edit: <-- totally not in that conversation you had. I just wanted to put my .02 in

You can make some of the people happy some of the time...

The good news for you is that none of the people disagreeing with you can force you to equip a different setup. When the game was live, I ran long delay weapons on my JE and JD...I never bothered arguing with people because most of the time they wouldn't listen to you and would use their sango's anyway. I say if people want to do things differently, let them...but don't expect to convert me to the crowd that doesn't use combat cloak...I like my DPS too much.

That being said, my JE had skill points in projectiles...why? because I didn't like playing tag with the mob when grouped, and you couldn't transfer power or buff your teammates when you were cloaked behind a mob 5k+ distance from the group. I took flack for having the skill...but I had my reasons, so I never let it bother me.

Play how you want to play, just don't expect everyone to agree that your way is best.

I wasn't online (if I was I was not paying attention) when this discussion took place, but I have seen enough of this sort of discussion to know how it always plays out...people argue about it until someone gets offended...a complete waste of time.
  • Upvote 1

That ^^^^^

Your account, your toon, your game, your playtime, your decision how to play the game.
If you feel like going out with ONE Level 1 beam equipped, its your choice - PERIOD.

You dont have to justify what you're doing.
I am positive that most people are discussing about some1 elses setup under the impression to help, so i wouldnt put too much in it - but finally its your game.

"Sir, you operate your airplane, i operate my airport. Thank you".
Just play [b]YOUR[/b] game and enjoy [b]YOUR[/b] playtime bro!

[quote name='wootage' timestamp='1340120291' post='59194']

Re your shorter-timed style, it is true that you would lose some DPS vs a long-cycle weapon when cloaking. However, I'll point out that major reason you lose DPS is because the long cycle weaps are generally DoT weaps, and in this game, DoT weaps have SUPERIOR DPS to direct fire weaps.

This is in direct contradiction to the conventional wisdom of the entire gaming industry regarding weapon balance. I mean, why stand and fight if you can run away and still do the same damage? So DoTs are always kept weaker than direct weapons in order to maintain the most possible valid ways to play.
[/quote]
Depends on the relative amount and duration of damage being dealt. Splitting a Direct hit that would 1-shot a target into a DoT effect that will kill it over the course of a few seconds is more balanced.

Amen brother, Play it your way!
In Live I used missiles untill I got to the level where the items made playing with
beams worth it. The Model x, y and Z shields made missiles an easy choice.

Let me know I'll party with you.
I like the reload around 6-9 seconds as well.

In Live I maxed both weapons on my JE, beams prior to 150 and projectiles afterwards. Used both found beams to be useful in most situations, and projectiles to be useful situationally, though PL buffs on a Jenquai aren't exactly common. Do what you feel comfortable with.

[quote name='will' timestamp='1340128832' post='59200']
Depends on the relative amount and duration of damage being dealt. Splitting a Direct hit that would 1-shot a target into a DoT effect that will kill it over the course of a few seconds is more balanced.
[/quote]

True, but in practice, all damage at a non-1-hit level is DoT, whether direct-fire or tick damage. The underlying question that sets the parameters is "how long is the player at risk while doing this damage?". That's really why DoTs are always weaker and generally limited to classes that have no kiting or stealth abilities (EQ1 and EnB aside, and EQ2 changed things so DoT kiting was impossible). It's to force the DoT user to face sufficient risk during the fight to justify the rewards they get from winning.

Of course, balance is a major PITA and is never quite "right". We've a long way to go from here, so I am interested to see how we work balance out in alpha/beta.

Thank you everyone, and again I have adopted the cloak shoot bit, Just that I uncloack shoot, allow the wepons to shoot the second time then recloak. And my damage taking has signifgantly been reduced. So I am not against trying or listening to different ways on playing a specific character/class. And you are correct on some baddies I will use the Coma, but having a extemely high recharge (BOTD, Scutums, + SS8) does help conpensate for that. As far as the martyr, I want to get one just to try out the cloak shoot cloak, which would require a large cap and a martyr to compensate for recharge loss. Like most fighting styles, there is always a optimal way to fight them. My way works well on some while the common way works best for others. My complaint was mostly because i do things differently doesn't mean I die all the time, I just shot at a bit more then others. And yes I do have to plan my attacks bit more carefully, one slight screw up and I am toasted.

It is our differences that make us unique. So I say do what makes you happy with YOUR toon.

I agree play your chars the way you want, I personally only give advice when asked. Example if someone asks me to build them something, I build what they ask for and don't tell them that particular item sucks and say you need this instead, as I have seen certain people do. Now, if I am asked, is this the best choice for me to have? I will make suggestion to that person.

Also, as for soling Gobb or any other end game boss, I dont think any race/class should be able to do so, to me it's very rediculus that a lone JD can take on the entire Gobb spawn and all the minions solo, also the entire mordana raid solo.

Ive always wanted to try a JD with projectiles. But never did because people in my guild in live laughed at the idea. I remember asking about PW'S using beams and almost got thrown out of here. But a mix of beams and projectiles on a JD sounds fun to me.

[quote name='Castagere' timestamp='1340483865' post='59602']
Ive always wanted to try a JD with projectiles. But never did because people in my guild in live laughed at the idea. I remember asking about PW'S using beams and almost got thrown out of here. But a mix of beams and projectiles on a JD sounds fun to me.
[/quote]

You'll need a Heart of the Dark One reactor to give turbo, and buff range to PLs. They used to show the old patch notes from further back, there was a patch in the November timeframe roughly of 2010 or 2011, I forget which, that applied the combat cloak bonus to all weapon types. One of the people who wrote the notes, wasn't sure if Jenquai could use missiles. The JW can, JE and JT cannot. I don't know if that's still in effect.

[quote name='Castagere' timestamp='1340483865' post='59602']
[/quote]
Let Me know I have most if not all the Equipible L8 PLs for A JD Just sitting in a Vault if there not in a Vault I can build them.
It was trying , When I went looking for the L8 Most Spooky Breed and Silver Hammer. I'm sure someones got ammo samples.
The one thing I will tell you,(I don't know if there fixed) The graphics for the number of Projectiles coming out of the Guns isn't there. iirc I was told that
the Damage was totaled to equal the correct amount.
The Graphics is what makes PL so cool.
Maybe someone can comfirm the Graphics, It would be nice to see all the Ammo coming out of those guns. :)

[quote name='Phorlaug' timestamp='1340505637' post='59612']
Let Me know I have most if not all the Equipible L8 PLs for A JD Just sitting in a Vault if there not in a Vault I can build them.
It was trying , When I went looking for the L8 Most Spooky Breed and Silver Hammer. I'm sure someones got ammo samples.
The one thing I will tell you,(I don't know if there fixed) The graphics for the number of Projectiles coming out of the Guns isn't there. iirc I was told that
the Damage was totaled to equal the correct amount.
The Graphics is what makes PL so cool.
Maybe someone can comfirm the Graphics, It would be nice to see all the Ammo coming out of those guns. :)
[/quote]

The graphic's occur at the weapons reload time rounded up to the nearest half-second. Full turbo on a set of 200% Flechette Omega's is a constant stream of bullets, ignoring lag. It's not much of a noticeable difference unless the final post-Turbo reload time is something like .6s or 1.1s, or your suffering from lag - which would occur regardless.