Give The Terrans Something To Actually Do In Combat

I remember constant shield recharge being the norm. Your shields will replenish, whether you got hit or not, with the base shield recharge number plus any modifiers equipped (intent engine, Crimson Force Barrier etc) or activated (a slew of PS only devices like Refresh, Refuge etc) that are now irrelevant due to the way shield recharge is handled.

That meant for killing a mob you had to outdamage its (high) shield recharge thus on raids it required multiple groups and no one alone could tackle high end - raid content, and you wouldnt have the need for millions upon millions of shields/hull on mobs like on Emu. Also all the shield interrupt/drain devices against a mob had a use like cube of the leech.

The same way a L1 mob could not kill you when you were afk just by shooting at you cause its damage wouldn't outweight your shield recharge.

i'm not entirely clear if plasma (DoT) could stop your shield recharge or not.

Edited by efialtis
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Well, based on the documents I have any time you took damage the recharge will temporarily stop and then recover. Unfortunately, between 2002 and 2006 (when we got it working again, finally to a multiplayer level) too much time had passed for memory to be reliable so this is what we went with. I can tell you this, with the way DoT works, if we made the shields charge continuously they would be completely ineffective because the damage wouldn't be able to "tick" fast enough to overcome some recharge rates at all. Therefore you'd end up having to use things like explosive and impact to a much greater degree than you do today.

I agree and thats why those types of damage were important for skill interruption on mobs and players, skull shield even has a buff to protect against that.

Skill interruption was far more common than it is today (only see it on Jenquai cloak and only when you have no shields left) and it would potentially have devastating effects (eg healers were interrupted a lot cause they would be targeted via aggro rules)

And like i said there are devices to overcome high shield recharge (cube of the leech) and will make players cooperate more if they need things to be done (like a raid).

Edited by efialtis
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

• 4 weeks later...

Personally, I think the balance deal between the classes is still skewed heavily by the fact that the Improved Handling and Improved weapon skill stuff still does not also increase damage.  They patched that in back in 10/2003 and the affect it had was increased damage across the board yes, but it affected the Progen Warriors most of all.  Six guns all getting a damage boost compared to 5.  Which they then went and tweaked damages on the existing weapons, as well as tweaked the damages of all weapons added later, to keep a balance among the classes.  Without that damage increase, the progen's, not just the end game ones but the leveling ones, feel that nerf the hardest because of the more guns deal.

The argument I get back is "more accuracy means more damage," and sure, that is true to an extent.  But then why did they (meaning original developers) add a damage multiplier to begin with?

I can again link old patch notes to show you when this change was made.  Without it, there is no balance currently.

• Upvote 1

• 1 year later...

You have to consider that this game is an emulator. We have to stick within the bounds of the original game. Ideas like this are neat, and yours is well conceived and well meant, but not possible along with all other ideas requiring game code or engine changes.

I suggest team work.  In original EnB a TW or TT were often the "center" of a combat formation... it wasn't just a spot reserved for a PW to tank and shoot.  Missile kiting allowed the whole group to stay at range while TT/JE healed and JW cloaked and folded enemies back away to max range.  Use teammates, don't just solo.  You are always missing out on very valueable gameplay in EnB by going solo, and will always end up frustrated by something you can't do alone.... at least not as well as you could do in a team.  EnB was built around that concept - coop play and teamwork instead of pure PvP all the time.

TW missiles need to stay like original - yes, kite long enough, kill anything. The balance here is boredom and the massive cost of ammo.

TE (Scouts) however, need a role in combat. Originally, they were supposed to get a befriend or biorepression type skill. The lore is that GetCo/Hyperia are more in tune with nature and conservationism than the other Terran corporations and factions.  I've been trying one out for a couple months now, and there's very, very little combat utility.