Equipment/device invention

It would be cool to be able to invent new devices/equipment.

The idea I have is:

Let's say you have two items. Each item has three buffs. You combine them, and the result is a new item of the same level with a total of three buffs selected randomly from the original two items. Both of the original items are destroyed, as per normal. "Invented" items cannot be analyzed or disassembled by anyone except the inventor.

This could be a special skill reserved for a particular race or class. Maybe the Jenquai Seeker.

It would be cool to be able to invent new devices/equipment.

The idea I have is:

Let's say you have two items. Each item has three buffs. You combine them, and the result is a new item of the same level with a total of three buffs selected randomly from the original two items. Both of the original items are destroyed, as per normal. "Invented" items cannot be analyzed or disassembled by anyone except the inventor.

This could be a special skill reserved for a particular race or class. Maybe the Jenquai Seeker.

That sounds interesting. Please elaborate on this more. If the devs are able to do this, at some point post-live, would be the restrictions on this?

Well, the restriction on level was one I just made up. There really wouldn't have to be any.

You could combine a level 3 device with a level 7 device and randomly get some level 3 buffs and some level 7 buffs. To make things simpler, the device could still be rated at level 7 as long as it had at least one level 7 buff since it would be the minimum level "required" to operate the device. This would result in a weaker-than-average level 7 device, which you wouldn't normally want to do unless that level 3 device really had something unique that you didn't want to live without.

Non-buff stats or same buffs would be averaged I presume. I.e. (10000 shield + 5000 shield) / 2 = 7500 shield.

Mixing a level 3 and level 7 device and ending up with a level 5 device (or a non-rounded number) would be a lot more complicated. The result would be an even greater variety of invented devices however.

Well, the restriction on level was one I just made up. There really wouldn't have to be any.

You could combine a level 3 device with a level 7 device and randomly get some level 3 buffs and some level 7 buffs. To make things simpler, the device could still be rated at level 7 as long as it had at least one level 7 buff since it would be the minimum level "required" to operate the device. This would result in a weaker-than-average level 7 device, which you wouldn't normally want to do unless that level 3 device really had something unique that you didn't want to live without.

Non-buff stats or same buffs would be averaged I presume. I.e. (10000 shield + 5000 shield) / 2 = 7500 shield.

Mixing a level 3 and level 7 device and ending up with a level 5 device (or a non-rounded number) would be a lot more complicated. The result would be an even greater variety of invented devices however.

I'm still interested as you describe it further. Since the Seeker currently builds devices, engines, weapons, and comps. And according ot Marco's blog they're getting a new build skill. The devs haven't formally announced what new skill the JT would get, but I think Build Reactor is most likely, though it's my personal opinion. I do like the idea of the more "explore/research" oriented Trader being able to do this.

I would think that in terms of restrictions, here is what I would put in.

• Seekers can only do so on items they have the apropriate skills and level to build.

• Items being merged must be of the same type. 2 devices, or 2 reactors, or 2 engines, or 2 weapons. Weapons must also be of the same weapon class.

• Race/class restrictions carry over to combined product.

• At least 1 of the 2 items being combined must be manufacturable.

• combined pieces of equipment cannot be further combined.

I know if my JT were a device builder, and she had max build devices I would have her combine a Harpy and a Roc, as well as combining a RR+ and Laz. Those device combos, if the buffs come out right, would be very popular.

For example Harpy's Dire Greed buffs:

Fast Tractor Beam (Equip)

Increase Speed (Equip)

and Roc's Dire Alacrity Buffs:

Long Tractor Beam (Equip)

Scan Boost (Equip)

Could combine to:

Fast Tractor Beam

Long Tractor Beam

The resulting device, would go into the JT's recipe book. In your recipe list, it would be randomly determined, that you need either some of the parts from each device, or both devices, to make the new device.

In addition, the initial combination of devices should work in the manner that analyze terminals work. There's a chance of failure, near success, success, or critical success. If you get a critical success you end up having 1 more buff taken randomly from either item. If you fail, both items are lost, if you have a near success both items are damaged.

If one of the devices in no-manu, then you successfuly combine it with a manu device, the new device should require the non-manu device, plus the manu device.

Then again, I would be fine with just more variety in equipment across the board for all races/classes, as well as more race or class specific items. Which is something that the Devs probably could do much easier.

If this is possible--hard to say, seems slightly ugly with what I know of the client setup but I could be wrong--that would be quite an interesting system actually, and could be made quite useful. Wouldn't be hard to generate the names of the new items either...

The idea is intriguing and i really like it.

But the way the server and the DB is currently structured it would not allow for an upgrade like this.

All items are set in the DB and there is no way in just creating a new item without it being entered into items database. This DB has currently around 6000 entries. So imagine how many possible variations of items you would get with all possible combination. So we would end up with a DB with probably 6000^4 items which is a bit much IMO

But hey never say never ....

Perhaps a way of gaining skills for certain characteristics. Analyse more harpy levels and get sexier at tractor beams. Make more MLs and get sexier at missile range? The downside is that the uber-items will come from the uber-makers. No bad thing?

Perhaps a way of gaining skills for certain characteristics. Analyse more harpy levels and get sexier at tractor beams. Make more MLs and get sexier at missile range? The downside is that the uber-items will come from the uber-makers. No bad thing?

I think they did put in bonuses to building in that the more of a particular type of equipment you have prints for, the better you become at building that type of item. Small racial bonuses have also been mentioned, if not added. Progen get better dismantle, Jenquai better analyze, and Terran better build quality.