Hulks & Debris / Wreckage Slag

In most of the high level hulks there are large amounts of debris. Clearing a hulk field usually nets stacks of the stuff. While it's nice for the credits, there's no trade XP in vendoring/trading it since Debris and Wreckage Slag are L1 and L2 items. How about replacing it in high level hulks with L6 scrap metal. That way there wouldn't need to be as much of it in them, and we'd still get trade XP for selling the stuff. Maybe, if it's not already used in something other than Mobius components, it could be used in some of the other level apropriate things.

I can agree with this. While slag is awesome as a leveling item until youre around OL60 or so, after that its just waste of space garbage.

Needs more, especially in that midlevel range 75-135 when leveling is such a complete PITA.

Level 6 scrap metal that stacks? Do it.

I always thought that the amount of it was to keep you uncloaked and increase the risk from mobs. Not that it would effect cherry pickers who leave the hulk fields full of the wreckage n slag.

[quote name='Red' timestamp='1337395296' post='58070']
I always thought that the amount of it was to keep you uncloaked and increase the risk from mobs. Not that it would effect cherry pickers who leave the hulk fields full of the wreckage n slag.
[/quote]

I think I'm in agreement. If anything it makes more cherry-pickers. Not to mention if you're mining near the GoBB site, one might not even bother with hulks that only have debris/wreckage slag since one doesn't want to decloak near minions for something that doesn't provide trade XP when you vendor. I'd have to check, but it may not give Explore XP for mining it, to a high level explorer, other than what you get for emptying the hulk.

[quote name='Terrell' timestamp='1337399914' post='58072']
I think I'm in agreement. If anything it makes more cherry-pickers. Not to mention if you're mining near the GoBB site, one might not even bother with hulks that only have debris/wreckage slag since one doesn't want to decloak near minions for something that doesn't provide trade XP when you vendor. I'd have to check, but it may not give Explore XP for mining it, to a high level explorer, other than what you get for emptying the hulk.
[/quote]

I agree. Whatever the intent was it's a failure. There shouldn't be level 1 and 2 junk taking up space in high level hulks anywhere. I too find whole fields full of just this junk. Time to rethink this.

• 2 weeks later...
I think its more of a game design thing. Explorers are pulling crap from destroyed ships.......so there is gonna be some useless metal floating around. It sells for very good credits but at no point should any explorer feel forced to mine what they don't want. If you want to force respawns just mine it and space it. The fact that my explorers have to cycle through a ton of junk to find useful stuff is fun and makes finding good items more worthwhile. I mean sure you could remove all the hulk fields and just replace them with a couple hulks but that would also be a little boring.

Now having some level 6 junk would be cool.....in additional to the normal junk....but for per minute xp gains its much better to mine gas fields, or even ore fields, than hulk fields. Replacing all the low level junk, in higher level hulk fields, might cause a balancing issue (a while back the emu had this problem with huge amounts of refined ores and very high level items consistently dropping) as explorers could simply camp a hulk fields and make millions of credits very quickly. I think most of the time when a ship is destroyed there would be very little 'good stuff' left......its like sifting through a junkyard looking for a rare valuable item......most of the stuff is just destroyed junk.

Another way to fix this problem would be to let some trade xp remain for trading debris and wreckage slag. It wouldn't have to be much, just enough to make it worth while to prospect them. Perhaps a few hundred trade xp per stack at trade level 50. I've always felt that trade xp earned should be more related to profit made than the level of the items you trade. Trading in large amounts of low level items should be an alternative to trading in small quantites of high level items.

[quote name='Crichton' timestamp='1338510916' post='58418']
I think its more of a game design thing. Explorers are pulling crap from destroyed ships.......so there is gonna be some useless metal floating around. It sells for very good credits but at no point should any explorer feel forced to mine what they don't want. If you want to force respawns just mine it and space it. The fact that my explorers have to cycle through a ton of junk to find useful stuff is fun and makes finding good items more worthwhile. I mean sure you could remove all the hulk fields and just replace them with a couple hulks but that would also be a little boring.

Now having some level 6 junk would be cool.....in additional to the normal junk....but for per minute xp gains its much better to mine gas fields, or even ore fields, than hulk fields. Replacing all the low level junk, in higher level hulk fields, might cause a balancing issue (a while back the emu had this problem with huge amounts of refined ores and very high level items consistently dropping) as explorers could simply camp a hulk fields and make millions of credits very quickly. I think most of the time when a ship is destroyed there would be very little 'good stuff' left......its like sifting through a junkyard looking for a rare valuable item......most of the stuff is just destroyed junk.
[/quote]

I'm thinking in terms of instead of having 30+ L1/L2 Debris/Slag per high level hulk, instead have 5-15 L6 Scrap metal. One is still essentially removing scrap metal from ship corpses, in hope of finding something decent, just less of it per hulk. One is also going to get some Trade & Explore XP for your mining & selling. When it comes to useful items in hulks (equipment) I think it should be fairly rare. Over time I'd like to see a wider variety of things that could drop from hulks but I don't think that the rate at which useful equipment is found should increase overall. I just object to large amounts of things that I can't even get Explore XP for mining, or Trade XP for vendoring from mining hulks apropriate to my EL.