Deflects Suggestion

paul

I noticed that getting you deflects above 50 doesnt seem to make any difference to the damage that you take, which means theirs no point in the explorer buff devices for them when a few skills can get them to this number.

Any chance we can get some sort of diminishing returns thing for deflects so that buffing them above 50 would be useful?

As all the mobs debuffs aren't in yet. But when they are, then you would be debuffed by them, .....having +70 might be real useful to have when the mob debuffs you for -30...then you would have +40....

Its true live there were deminished returns over +50...but imo the mobs debuffing skills would need to be in first before you could tweek and retool deminshed return balancing effects.

You should never be able to get to a true +100, if so that would amount to god mode being totally immune to dmg type.

Makes me wonder, from the perspective of mobs who were immune to a particular type of damage. If a JT who was using energy beams encountered a high level Manes or Voltoi, who in live were immune to energy beams, would her Manticore debuff, if it hits, make her energy beams actually do damage to these mobs? Of course she's still be better off with Plasma and a Chimaera, but would it be possible at all to damage an immune to energy mob, with energy beams, if you debuffed it to energy first?

It SHOULD do so in reality, but in live I don't think it did...it was one of those things they were always going to fix that never got to a push before sunset. I know that the arduinne mobs were immune to plasma and it actually healed them some, even with a debuff it didn't alter that (I tried that).

Depends because a mob resist can go up to 200 if I recall correctly. It makes this clear in the Prima Guide if you can find it in the mob section. It explains how resists are set up and how mobs are either damageable, have reduced damage, no damage, and get healed by certain types of attacks.

[quote name='Mattsacre' timestamp='1332605951' post='55924']
It SHOULD do so in reality, but in live I don't think it did...it was one of those things they were always going to fix that never got to a push before sunset. I know that the arduinne mobs were immune to plasma and it actually healed them some, even with a debuff it didn't alter that (I tried that).
[/quote]

Thanks, I'd wondered that, since I mostly had problems with Manes & Voltoi, and their immunity to energy dictating that I couldn't use GE beams while mining in my favorite areas. Bye Bye 5K scan buff (wanted that buff on a Plasma beam) Had there been a JT in Live, maybe I would have asked her to debuff one of them to see if it made a difference. Don't see much reason for a TT to carry a Manticore, since they mostly use MLs and Plasma is the preferred damage for most in most of the game.

Poprocks can have some very high debuffs on them, i think I've seen as high as -79. So there is at least some use for those explorer-only devices.

The only other currently available deflect debuff is mobs using Immobilization field, for -30 explosive/impact, so getting upwards of 80 to at least those 2 is still useful at certain places.

I don't remember multiple skills deflect buffs stacking in Live as they do right now though, currently Rally + Enviroshield + Shield Charging is +70 to all deflects at max level, a PW with Combat Trance can get another +34, for +104 without any equipped deflects.
I only ever remember getting the deflects from Rally, as it was always the highest one, similar to only getting the highest equip buff.

I always thought that buffs should add "multiplicatively" rather than linearly, e.g. two 50% bufs would give you 75% resistance rather than 100%. Basically, each buff reduces your [i]remaining vulnerability[/i] by its percentage. Mathematically: 1-product(1-buffAmount) over all the devices.

The nice thing is that there's never "too much" or any need for an arbitrary cap -- diminishing returns is built in. You'll never hear someone say, "thanks, don't need your buff, I'm already at the cap." But it'd be a change, and it might make the mathematically challenged scratch their heads. ("How come 30%+40% is 58% and not 70%?") :-) (1-(1-.3)(1-.4))

• 2 weeks later...