Best Solo Class?

What is commonly accepted as the best solo class? In terms of taking on combat challenges rather than self sufficiency.

I know it used to be TT. The combination of kiting with missiles and the ability to cast 'heal' was quite powerful.

I've read some discussion on here that suggests it's the PW's who are more inclined to solo the big bosses and the like.

In live I was a max PW and used to get class envy over the TT's so it's not how I remember things :D

[quote name='Warlock' timestamp='1332168144' post='55729']
PWs are still the best solo race/class. Ignore what everybody else says - they're just jealous <_<
[/quote]
Thats Just what I expect from an Ignorant PW !! Lmao !!

TE's for the win. Kite Kite and Kite some more !

I myself favor the TS in solo play. Kiting with missiles, in combat, majorly fast speeds for trading, and low sig/high scan for exploring.
  • Like 1

Got to say I agree with Terrell, I've grown quite fond of my PP, he forgot 2 things :) shield inversion and all those build skills..you want a progen shield/reactor/ammo? better see your favorite PP lol!

Onliest downer on a PP I feel, is the lack of gear speced to them, but its been said thats going to be rectified in the future (I await that with great anticipation!)

If I had to pick a second I would have to say narrowly PW....the glory of in-your-face combat with all the cloud of bullets and skills they bring is just as exciting as a PP, so PP edges it out for me with the build/shield recharge skills.

I like a TS enough, just that standing far out and peck peck peck sort of combat isn't adrinaline enough imo, ever took a PW/PP firing/thrusting at a enemy? It is something to see that cloud of hot death arriving all at once as you arive nose to nose with the mob :) Edited by Mattsacre

So really, it sounds like there is no consensus here? It used to be that Shield Charge was super powerful, putting the TT on top.

Are people still soloing bosses like they were in earlier days of the emulator?

Depends on what range of the game you are talking. As a whole I definately agree that PP is the strongest class, covering many areas and has no real weak spots. Negotiate, Crit, Recharge Shields, a great weapon to device slot balance and of course the best setup of base skills (L9 sheilds/reactor).
For specific areas of the game there are of course better classes :)

All classes can solo just about every non-raid mob. The only ones any certain class can't solo are due to environmental effects: Radiation, Gravity Wells, and Gravity Shears.

How you want to kill those mobs is what you need to decide.

Solo combat you will want a profession with critical targetting skill.

This list includes PP, PS, PW, TE and JD.

PS is the weakest but has some good strategy tools like menace and powerdown. Very situational though and only gets on this list because it has critical targetting. Look at the others that were listed for the best options.

Played well a PW is rewarding to play. Wish combat trance buffs increased deflects like buffs do for rally on TEs. PW are the linch pin of raid groups thanks to their impressive ability to pull agro and their hull damage control.

PP is the same class type as a TT so you get survivabilty but with the benefit of actually doing some real damage.

If you buff a TE's rally you can get +50 deflects and really great critical targetting. Slow rate of usage on ammo means you're not like the PW or PP allocating a chunk of cargo space to ammo. But being on the move all the time can wear you down.

JD coma, chim debuff, cloak, no need for ammo ... winner!

Nice. So TT's actually have no advantages against raid bosses due to Shield Recharge?

Can any classes solo raid bosses? Are their raid bosses and just 'bosses'? I remember Miguel Chavez? Is he just a special rare spawn or considered a boss or something?

I remember I could solo Tenchu that came out of the Fishbowl with my PW, one at a time, but I guess everybody can do that played right?

I think I know the others but what is Gravity Shear?

Basically, I was under the impression that TT could solo certain bosses (raid bosses?) because of kiting and their 'heal'. Is that totally false/never was true?

Well per the thread title, if you define "solo" as everything not just combat, what would a class need:

1.To sustain themselves in combat alone.
2.Procure superior gear (PMed) without minimum other player input, and self built ammo if they aren't a beamer.
3.Steady flow of income to offset expenditures in gear.

I would say any trader class can fill 1,2,3 with ease, the TT holding the bigger POTENTIAL build gear list (the problem being if they build all their gear they don't have the SP to combat.)

In combat the order of importance of gear I would surmise would be: weapons, then reactor, then shield, then engines/devices.

A PP can build the first 3 with enough SP for combat if they leave off 1 thing or another like menace or shield inversion until end game.
A TT can build the weaps and shield and devices, but then lack the SP for combat needs.
A JS can build weaps,reactor and devices but not the shield and lack the SP for combat needs.

Since devices for solo action, while it can be important isn't as much as reactor/shield/weaps combo, and a person could survive with off the shelf stuff that a shield/reactor just wouldn't do. That would leave a explorer out since they can't build the ammo any of them and one thing or another they can't build except devices. ( PS build shields, JE reactor, TS engines)

Given all that it would need to be a trader, with a PP having a slight edge.

BUT, this is a MMORG, you have other player input don't you? So you need not have to self build everything...so all 3 traders would have enough SP.
All 3 warriors would have enough SP without suffering combat skills and could get a shield charge from a friendly trader.
All 3 explorers would have the SP for thier combat and would have those buffs that everyone else could use, and if all goes to hell can jumpstart you.

So solo class...best class...ALL of them are best solo class, in thier area of expertise they all rock. Edited by Mattsacre

In live it was a Terran Enforcer (warrior). They could solo/kite many things that no other class could and they could kill stuff many levels higher than their own. No other class could really effectively do this. Their damage output, low ammo cost/space (compared to Progen), ability to use activated turbo devices (most of these are warrior only), and speed.

However there are no 'non-raid' bosses in the EMU that the majority of classes can't kill as long as they have decent gear and play their class effectively. Part of this is due to Mob AI and skills not working. I would recommend first deciding what you want to do (mine, explore, kill stuff, make stuff, keep other players alive, etc) and then pick a warrior, trader, or explorer. Each class has its benefits and negatives......though atm in the EMU there really aren't very many negatvies for any of the classes.

well if you are talking a combat based class I would rank them te/jd/pw for solo combat.
A te can kill anything if they can out range the enemy.
A jd is the stealth hit monster and can solo almost anything given enough time if the mobs solo or doesn't have a instant fire ml..
With a pw killing anything up to level 60 is easily doable the bunyip and earthcorp insider not withstanding.

as for traders and combat.. I would rank them PP/JS/TT.
PP critical targeting lvl 9 shields and reactors 5 guns and menace. tough to beat CFB >:)
JS 10k reactor cap instant shield regen(57600 recharge max skill 54000 shields and no targeting needed) 150+ reactor recharge lvl 9 devices the ability to use energy and plasma weapons with 2 different debuffs chimara/manticore 9's
TT range lotsa ammo used lvl 9 shields long range use a lot of ammo on high end mobs because of the lack of critical targeting

Miners ummmm depends on the mob.. TS/PP/JE
TS range large hold for lotsa ammo insane combat speeds
PS 201k shields easily attained baby, critical targeting and menace....
JE combat cloak lvl 9 chimaera 3 weapons no critical targeting takes fordamnedever to kill a same level mob can kill up to 60ish mobs but you might spend half an hour per mob..Hire a te/pw to combat level you..

Thanks all for your input.

As I expect many of you do, I'm levelling a range of characters rather than just one. I was primarily curious as to which class can conquer the biggest combat encounters solo. I'm guessing based on replies that it's impossible for any class to solo raid bosses? Who comes closest?

None do, nor should solo a raid boss, early on with some glitches TE/PW were soloing a couple of raid bosses, TE through range and PW through spam sap, but those bosses that were rangable had range adjusted and the PW sap skill has been altered to prevent that now, there has been moments that JD could becuase of the cloak wonkiness do so as well, that too has been at variuos times been adressed.

But if you find through some dynamic you are able to solo a raid boss, please report your ability to do so, that needs to be addressed either through altering boss AI or skills, simply put a player shopuldn't be able to solo a raid boss, it's not intended to be done, raid bosses are for RAIDS :)

• 3 weeks later...
[quote name='Mattsacre' timestamp='1332515591' post='55878']
None do, nor should solo a raid boss, early on with some glitches TE/PW were soloing a couple of raid bosses, TE through range and PW through spam sap, but those bosses that were rangable had range adjusted and the PW sap skill has been altered to prevent that now, there has been moments that JD could becuase of the cloak wonkiness do so as well, that too has been at variuos times been adressed.

But if you find through some dynamic you are able to solo a raid boss, please report your ability to do so, that needs to be addressed either through altering boss AI or skills, simply put a player shopuldn't be able to solo a raid boss, it's not intended to be done, raid bosses are for RAIDS :)
[/quote]

Yes I agree that people shouldn't be able to solo current raid content. I was using it as a barometer to gauge solo combat ability i.e. who comes closest? It sounds like no class is really stand out, anyway.

I've always enjoyed soloing old raid content in MMO's though and there is usually a class or two that are best for this. This doesn't apply here of course, because all raid content is current and there has been no level extension. Fingers crossed though eh? :) Edited by clavius