Mining

paul

After runing a few explore missions on my JE I realised that you can get alot more explore xp from missions than you get from mining.
Back on live this was the other way around, mining was the best explore xp, and those that couldn't mine ran missions or got into a mining group to leech some explore.

My suggestion is to make mining a bit more like live.

The fields in live didnt have a clearing bonus because the roids respawned while you were mining to the point that 1 minier could never clear a field. As an example the lv9 gas fields above F7 used to have multipul groups mining/leeching.

The ammount of explore xp needs a tweak too so that its at least the same as the xp you get from missions. By this i mean the ammount of xp you can earn per hour.

To counteract cherry picking the picked roids used to de-spawn after a few minutes.

Hulks were random spawns in every ore field, each field had a v.small percentage chance of spawning a hulk insted of a roid. The hulk fields like the ones in Xipe conntained debris and other junk. The random spawn hulks were the ones that had the prototype and other stuff in em. My JE got a proto lv9 shield from a hulk at the lv9 field in Aganju and a Taniwhas from a hulk at the lv5 field in SE.

Mining xp seems right on for me. In comparison to combat xp explore xp, gained via mining, is pretty darn close at a per minute count imo. Get into a 3 person mining group in the Glenn gas fields and watch your explore xp skyrocket.

NOTE: Even in Live it was pretty easy to clear a ore field. Glenn, Iverness Planet, Grissom Planet, Varen's Girlde and Arduinne gas fields were purely explore xp areas and as such they were impossible to clear even with several miners. Mining roids was always a slower xp gain even in live as their respawn time was slower than gas and the amount of types was much greater. I would push for more gas field areas instead of adjusting roid xp.

I have to agree with Crichton. Except after one patch when they messed upp shared XP from prospecting, it wasn't a fast way to gain XP in live either. (They plugged the share exploit pretty fast if I remember correctly)

This could be more of a gear issue. I had no trouble mining gas 3+ levels over my prospect level, due to my gear setup, so the xp gains for me outweghed jobs in a per minute setup. When adding refining/trade xp to this it wan't even close.

i think we need more level 9 fields; these are so few & far between, it is impossible to find ores needed for a lot of the higher level builds & such; example: grail water, astralite, & kronosite are the hardest to find, and they are the most used. people hoard these, and they cherry pick to get them.
just my opinion.
  • Upvote 2

[quote name='dragonrose' timestamp='1331485098' post='55324']
i think we need more level 9 fields; these are so few & far between, it is impossible to find ores needed for a lot of the higher level builds & such; example: grail water, astralite, & kronosite are the hardest to find, and they are the most used. people hoard these, and they cherry pick to get them.
just my opinion.
[/quote]

I completely agree ... L9 ores are a pita, and from what I understand, their availability is far lower than it was in live. Atm it's easier to rip many L9 ores from comp drops than mining them.

[quote name='Pink' timestamp='1331493549' post='55337']
I completely agree ... L9 ores are a pita, and from what I understand, their availability is far lower than it was in live. Atm it's easier to rip many L9 ores from comp drops than mining them.
[/quote]

Agree as well. There were 2 L9 orefields in BBW that were around in Live but aren't in now, they were small (could be cleared by 1 JEor PE) but they were nice. One was south of the path of navs going from the 4 gates to QAR, the other west of the 4 gates. Those orefields were guarded by L51 Splendid Manes with the occasional 53 or 56. Would be nice to see those back. The orefields in question had a mixture of L9 minables except for gas clouds. The prospectables could contain L9 and L8 items.

Arduinne Planet was another place for high level mining. L7+ gas clouds, and mobs there Orobus (sp?) should be resistant/immune to Plasma.

There also were orefields in all the asteroid navs in Arduinne Sector with the best ones being behind the planet Asteroid Arduinne AA-10 I think was the nav.

There was also a high level orefield in the far north of BBW in live. This orefield was guarded by mobs from the same family as the Bio-Extractor. They just were the L48s instead of the L50 mobs, there were also high level Manes L48+ guarding this rather large orefield. There was also a gravitational anomaly in said field, which L3 E-shield provided protection from. This large orefield was mostly L7 and L8 items with a few L9 mixed in.

In Live Grail Water wasn't that hard to find, Star Ore and Astralite were both harder to find than Grail Water. I found plenty of Grail Water in live to do my balm runs, but when attempting to build Sturdy Solar Cells, enough Star Ore for the Transparent Steel, and Astralite for the Astral Glass needed for the solar cells was much more difficult. Could be done, but took longer.

I'm a big fan of mining so want to get this right.

Currently the fields respawn while you're mining them, so if you're not quick (and depending on what the field respawn time has been used) you will see the field respawning before you get round to the start again.

I think the confusion is coming because the smaller fields *CAN* be cleared solo before they start respawning, when you get the bonus. The higher level fields shouldn't start respawning before they are cleared, that would be crazy, and was one of the problems of 'orefest' - fast respawning level 9 fields everywhere with no guardians.

The larger fields need a team to get the bonus, as solo you don't stand a chance of clearing them before they begin respawning. This is good if you want to continuously mine, as I can see some people want to do.

So - if you want the clear bonus, try out of the way, smaller, higher level fields. If you want to continuously mine, pick one of the larger fields and work through that. There are plenty out there.

I think most of us enjoy a combination of the two - it would be a shame to remove either of these systems - with the clear bonus, some large fields and a team you can get XP slightly faster (I think) than missions/jobs, although that might not apply to the very highest level jobs (and I think those should give the highest rate) but the large scale group mining is a bit more enjoyable.

It's all about how you want to play - if you just want to get to level 150 as fast as possible then jobs are the way to go. If you want to enjoy the mining aspect and aren't quite so fussed on just getting to 150 then you'll not level quite as fast, but team up, pick some good spots and you'll not be far off.

One thing I would like to implement again from live is the XP 'zone' where you got a nice additional bonus for mining roids that were at your expected level.

I do remember coming across huge orefields in the middle of nowhere esp cruising around in Beta Hydri & Tau Ceti. When I'd come back later in a few days I couldn't find the damn field - this would imply to me either I had forgotten where the field was, although it was huge, or that it was a random event, both equally likely. Would be good to have this sort of thing happen I think.