Hi, i was just wondering, can someone explain exactly whats going on with the new mob AI. I'm not sure what the reason for having all the scuttle nymphs fly at speeds up to 1000 thrust is. I'm guessing from my observations that they fly around in a group then move back to the center point at the abandoned nav.

This makes it difficult for low lvls to target 1 and shoot because of their flying speed, but i'm guessing this is a work in progress?

very much so yes. That's why there's only a couple of places where I've switched it on.

The sudden bursts of speed are choreographed and there to ensure that no matter what, the mobs won't fly off into the void. The tethers are quite 'soft' now. Also to make the AI look a bit fancy too :) Just before the checkin I tried factor of 5 speed bumps, which were crazy!

Do you like the new movement though?

It does look like a swarm of bugs.

They don't run away when attempting to follow them, a welcome improvement, but since their optimal distance is only .41k, don't know how this will work on mobs with optimal distances that are longer than our follow distance.

While aggroed, noticed maximum reverse speed of 100, maximum forward speed of 240, no high speed bursts that they exhibit when not aggroed.

Cloak plays havoc on them though, they instantly return to their high speed bursting the moment cloak finishes, and they don't have strong enough aggro to engage a target that immediately recloaks.

well of course that sort of thing is going to mess them up, the new system is experimental and there's going to be a lot of problems with it.

and we've still got the old cloak damage bug where getting a hit while cloaked doesn't do any damage or remove the cloak.

From what I remember in live if they shot you while you were cloaked there was damage and a chance the cloak would be dropped.

[quote name='Tienbau' timestamp='1330729766' post='54699']
well of course that sort of thing is going to mess them up, the new system is experimental and there's going to be a lot of problems with it.

and we've still got the old cloak damage bug where getting a hit while cloaked doesn't do any damage or remove the cloak.

From what I remember in live if they shot you while you were cloaked there was damage and a chance the cloak would be dropped.
[/quote]
You are remembering right, as well as might disrupt cloak attempt, and cloak activation time could be extended by dmg/debuffs, such as if a chem dmg was on a cloak attempter it would extend the time before it would take effect. Of the dmg types explosive and chem were the best to disrupt mobs activation of skills also, chem sort of "stuttered" them activating while a tick was on..explosive stalled it.

I can remember many the times muttering come on come on come on TAKE! when trying to activate cloak on my JE as dmg effects was chewing my hull and the cloak skill was stalled :)

[quote name='Tienbau' timestamp='1330729766' post='54699']

[/quote]

Earlier we had a problem with cloak being interrupted way too easily, where if anything farted on you cloak got interrupted. Cloak should be interruptable, but if it's too easy to interrupt, then the skill becomes almost useless as a means of escape. Not sure where the right balance is exactly, but most of the time it should work as a means of escape.

Warp could also be interrupted, when one was trying to escape. Toons with Navigate and/or a "warp charge" buff should be harder to interrupt, as warp engages more quickly, so there's less time to do enough damage to interrupt warp. (I'm referring to warp powering up while under attack, not being attacked while warping by)

[quote name='Terrell' timestamp='1330730747' post='54702']
Earlier we had a problem with cloak being interrupted way too easily, where if anything farted on you cloak got interrupted. Cloak should be interruptable, but if it's too easy to interrupt, then the skill becomes almost useless as a means of escape. Not sure where the right balance is exactly, but most of the time it should work as a means of escape.
[/quote]

yes, therein lies the challenge - cloak should work as a means of stealthy means to initiate attack, and to get away, but currently the technique has devolved to 'cloak, fire, cloak, fire' to avoid any damage. This is not what cloak is for.

I think we need a calc that is related to the avatar's shield level, and also perhaps the number of times they've cloaked/decloaked in the area.

The reasoning being, mobs will be surprised when you decloak - also if you suddenly cloak again after a time and then run away they won't find you.

However, if you remain static or cloak/uncloak in the same area mobs will 'adapt' and spot you.

Also I like the idea of the criticals having a chance to disrupt cloak too, nice idea.

So, it's a kind of trade off - if you continually cloak/decloak to damage the same mob, after a few cycles it'll work out what's happening and start doing half damage (at least) on you, with an increasing chance to disrupt cloak. If you then try to cloak to get away the mob will be on to you still. Save cloak for the getaway and chances are you'll be fine.

The "cloak, fire, cloak" was how jenpies did combat in live.. If we didnt use combat cloak during a fight for the double dmg and damage avoidance we were just cannon fodder.

Cloak, fire, cloak, was the equivalent of terrans kiteing or a progens hull strength.

oh ok. Well maybe we'll just go with the crit thing then - that's easier for me anyway :)

Anyway, the point is at the moment it's not working correctly. A crit should damage through the cloak, esp if you're still in the same place when the mob originally fired.

So, back to the new AI - it's in the 'showcase' stage at the moment, it's not really meant to be interactive beyond the mobs running away from you, just so you can see it working.

How about this:
Crit is instant interupt to any skill.
Regular shots interupt if they deal more than 20% shield capacity in the few secs it takes to cast the skill. This could also be applied the same way for interupting mobs skills.

Doing it this way makes a bit more sence, you would have to tweak the percentage so its not too much or too little though.

yes, it would definitely need to be tied to shield cap %. Also I like the idea of if the player moved since the shot was fired the damage should be reduced too.

Yep, mob skill interruption is done as a cumulative % of the mob shields. It still needs balancing, as I'm not sure how easy it is to interrupt mob skills now.

If you do it according to percentage of Shield cap, then Jenquai & the Terran Scout will be more likely to get their skills interrupted than the other 5 classes, as those classes don't get L9 shields, and get shield upgrades 10 levels later than the other classes. Should probably be a set amount of damage to interrupt skills in a certain amount of time. Since critical hits do double damage to non-critical hits, this would mean that crits increase the chance of skill interruption.

Of course, then there could be an activatable line of devices for either the JT that increases the amount of damage one has to take for skill interruption. The Skull Shield has an equip buff that makes interrupting your skills harder. An activated device could be cast on other players as a support buff.

Said damage needed to interrupt a skill could also vary by damage type (and the skill in question). EMP for example is probably the least useful type of damage, so if that's the best one for interrupting skills, and the Terran Scout has a few really nice MLs that fire EMP as an option, the Scout could help the group by interrupting skill use in addition to being an alternate JSer and hull patcher.