Linux(maybe mac?)/Wine install guide.

An A for effort here. Thanks Karu, didn't know if anyone would be able to help her. I'll look at getting an updated SSL certificate for our sites since Karu has also mentioned this for another problem with us.

That sounds awesome.  :)

I did an OS overhaul last night (repartitioned the /root among other things, so I had a bit more room to play around with libraries and dependencies).  Since I did a clean re-format of that partition (it's easier for me to deal with a clean slate), I'm in the process of building everything back up from scratch.

Also, I am taking the time to get re-acquainted with compiling stuff again.  I really have allowed myself to get too lazy with aptitude/apt-get.  :P

Working on building up the most recent, unstable version of Wine (even though I was avoiding it before).

All right.

So I discovered that my OS overhaul was not enough.  All of the features that I was familiar with and had worked beautifully for the last two years started erroring or not functioning at all.  I am still not sure what exactly was at the root, but the OS wasn't updated since last year and no amount of reworking the sources.list made it possible to update/upgrade or even manually compile.

So I did some research and came across a lovely little beast called http://sparkylinux.org/ (specifically the GameOver distribution).  Only thing was, I can't stand Gnome to save my life, so I had to do a few major overhauls post-installation.

But what a beautiful distribution it is, now that I've replaced Gnome with KDE.

I'm updated with Debian Jessie (Testing), 3.18 kernel and I have a fully functional compilation of Wine 1.7

I can cross my fingers and hope that this will help with further troubleshooting so that I can get back in the game again.  :)

-----

To Karu:

c:
cd "c:\Program Files\EnB_Emu\Net-7\bin"
net7proxy.exe /ADDRESS:74.208.192.215 /CLIENT:"c:\Program Files\EnB_Emu\release\client.exe" /POPT /EXREORDER /DML

After I set all the files back up for EnB, I attempted to replicate the contents of the net7proxy.bat file.  As far as I know, I put everything in how it should be, but, what I get is:

$ wine explorer.exe /desktop=enb,1920x1080 net7proxy.bat

C:\Program Files\EnB_Emu\Net-7\bin>c:

C:\Program Files\EnB_Emu\Net-7\bin>cd "c:\Program Files\EnB_Emu\Net-7\bin"

C:\Program Files\EnB_Emu\Net-7\bin>net7proxy.exe /ADDRESS:74.208.192.215 /CLIENT:"c:\Program Files\EnB_Emu\release\client.exe" /POPT /EXREORDER /DML
fixme:heap:HeapSetInformation (nil) 1 (nil) 0
fixme:msvcrt:__clean_type_info_names_internal (0x1002f78c) stub
fixme:msvcrt:__clean_type_info_names_internal (0x571894) stub

and if I run just "wine net7proxy.exe" then I get a tooltip stating "Server Failed to respond to Login attempt" and:

$ wine net7proxy.exe

Any insight?

Edited by Nimsy

and if I run just "wine net7proxy.exe" then I get a tooltip stating "Server Failed to respond to Login attempt"

net7proxy needs at least address and client parameters to work.

wine errors/warnings are mostly harmless.

what you should see after you run net7proxy, is enb eula dialog. if you dont see that, then proxy failed to launch client.

Kyp:

$ ping -c 5 patch.net-7.org
PING patch.net-7.org (74.208.132.71) 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from u16148424.onlinehome-server.com (74.208.132.71): icmp_seq=1 ttl=118 time=61.5 ms
64 bytes from u16148424.onlinehome-server.com (74.208.132.71): icmp_seq=2 ttl=118 time=61.8 ms
64 bytes from u16148424.onlinehome-server.com (74.208.132.71): icmp_seq=3 ttl=118 time=65.2 ms
64 bytes from u16148424.onlinehome-server.com (74.208.132.71): icmp_seq=4 ttl=118 time=77.4 ms
64 bytes from u16148424.onlinehome-server.com (74.208.132.71): icmp_seq=5 ttl=118 time=89.6 ms

--- patch.net-7.org ping statistics ---
5 packets transmitted, 5 received, 0% packet loss, time 4006ms
rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 61.531/71.145/89.640/10.923 ms
$ ping -c 5 sunrise.net-7.org
PING sunrise.net-7.org (74.208.192.215) 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from u15438806.onlinehome-server.com (74.208.192.215): icmp_seq=1 ttl=118 time=62.2 ms
64 bytes from u15438806.onlinehome-server.com (74.208.192.215): icmp_seq=2 ttl=118 time=60.9 ms
64 bytes from u15438806.onlinehome-server.com (74.208.192.215): icmp_seq=3 ttl=118 time=61.4 ms
64 bytes from u15438806.onlinehome-server.com (74.208.192.215): icmp_seq=4 ttl=118 time=67.4 ms
64 bytes from u15438806.onlinehome-server.com (74.208.192.215): icmp_seq=5 ttl=118 time=61.5 ms

--- sunrise.net-7.org ping statistics ---
5 packets transmitted, 5 received, 0% packet loss, time 4004ms
rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 60.937/62.740/67.432/2.395 ms

Karu:

Well I took the information you gave me earlier in this thread:

c:
net7proxy.exe /ADDRESS:74.208.192.215 /CLIENT:"c:\Program Files\EnB_Emu\release\client.exe" /POPT /EXREORDER /DML

So where did I mess up, so I can fix it?  I made sure there were no spaces after /ADDRESS: and /CLIENT: :P

c:
So where did I mess up, so I can fix it?  I made sure there were no spaces after /ADDRESS: and /CLIENT: :P

go to client.exe directory in linux terminal and run

wine explorer.exe /desktop=enb,1024x768 client.exe -SERVER_ADDR sunrise.net-7.org

that should get you to login screen and if you have fixed certificate also to character select/creation.

If that works, then client is fine and you should check client path you give to proxy.

If client shows eula and first screen, but exits before login screen, then I had to edit user.reg (probably ~/.wine/user.reg) and change "UseGLSL" to "enabled" (was disabled)

go to client.exe directory in linux terminal and run
wine explorer.exe /desktop=enb,1024x768 client.exe -SERVER_ADDR sunrise.net-7.org

This got me to INV-300.  I still have no idea how to get around the certificate thing.

you should check client path you give to proxy.

Ok, will do.

c:
net7proxy.exe /ADDRESS:141.8.225.73 /CLIENT:"c:\Program Files\EnB_Emu\release\client.exe" /POPT /EXREORDER /DML
I pinged sunrise.net-7.org and found that the IP had changed.  I modified it.

Everything else still appears to match the instructions you gave me on page 6.

If client shows eula and first screen, but exits before login screen, then I had to edit user.reg (probably ~/.wine/user.reg) and change "UseGLSL" to "enabled" (was disabled)

This did not happen (thankfully), but I checked user.reg anyway.  There doesn't seem to be any listing for UseGLSL.

-----

I also found this:  http://gentoo.linuxhowtos.org/portage/app-emulation/wine

(it lists +ssl as a USE-flag)

and: http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handbook:X86/Working/USE#What_are_USE_flags

Which sadly has nothing to do with Debian, or my distribution.

So far, looking up alternatives to USE-flags for Debian yields nothing.  Still, I wonder if there isn't some clue there that we could use.

-----

It is hypothetically possible to compile portage for Debian.  The only guide I can find is from ~ 10 years ago, however.  I am also a clueless little twit when it comes to shell scripts.

-----

http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Wine

-----

Update:  I have scoured net7proxy.bat and have copypasted your posted contents a few times now.  I only edited the IP address and the path-part where Earth & Beyond needed to read EnB_Emu instead.

Yet I continue to receive:

wine: Bad EXE format for C:\Program Files\EnB_Emu\Net-7\bin\net7proxy.bat
Edited by Nimsy

I pinged sunrise.net-7.org and found that the IP had changed.  I modified it.

IP has not changed. it's still 74.208.192.215

If it shows different IP for you, then check your nameserver settings in your router / computer.
Make sure they not hijacked.

I also found this:  http://gentoo.linuxhowtos.org/portage/app-emulation/wine

(it lists +ssl as a USE-flag)

It's gentoo specific compiler flags.

I dont have certificate fix for wine1.7 (I have ancient wine-1.1.34 for enb). You also need tons of dev packages and if you using 64bit linux double that. Best to wait until real certificate can be used. EnB under wine1.7 works with real certificate without any hacks.

But if you want to do it, then compiling debian package is
sudo apt-get build-dep wine1.7
sudo apt-get source wine1.7
cd wine1.7

<edit files and make any certificate pass>

./configure && make && make DESTDIR=$HOME/bin/wine1.7 install
* package and directory names made up and most likely do not match reality

This would install separate wine1.7 under $HOME/bin/wine1.7 which you can run using
#!/bin/sh
export WINEPATH=$HOME/bin/wine1.7
export PATH=$WINEPATH/usr/local/bin:$PATH
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$WINEPATH/usr/local/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH

wine explorer.exe /desktop=enb,1024x768 net7proxy.bat

Yet I continue to receive:
wine: Bad EXE format for C:\Program Files\EnB_Emu\Net-7\bin\net7proxy.bat

As was found out earlier, bat file needs to be launched using 'wine start', 'wine cmd /c' or 'wine explorer.exe'.

I have been using explorer.exe, but maybe it's the problem with the inaccurate IP?  I'll research how to check the nameserver settings, then.

And mental note filed on the rest.  :P

-----

Modifying the IP address to what you posted still returns an error, albeit I'm back to the one I posted much earlier.

Also, I am using wine cmd /c instead of the command to load the virtual desktop, for now.

C:\Program Files\EnB_Emu\Net-7\bin>net7proxy.exe /ADDRESS:74.208.192.215 /CLIENT:"C:\Program Files\EnB_Emu\release\client.exe" /POPT /EXREORDER /DML
Edited by Nimsy

C:\Program Files\EnB_Emu\Net-7\bin>net7proxy.exe /ADDRESS:74.208.192.215 /CLIENT:"C:\Program Files\EnB_Emu\release\client.exe" /POPT /EXREORDER /DML

Still no headway on the ISP/DNS issue, either. Edited by Nimsy

you run

wine cmd /c net7proxy.bat

it shows EnB eula confirmation. If not, then client path you give to proxy (C:\Program Files\EnB_Emu\release\client.exe) is wrong

You could also add /OPCODES /DEBUGL to proxy arguments to get some more info

Yea, I'm definitely running with cmd /c

Though I'm positive the error is not in whether I am using start or cmd /c or explorer.exe

And I've quadruple-checked the directory path where client.exe is. :/

~/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/EnB_Emu/release/client.exe
should equal

C:\Program Files\EnB_Emu\release\client.exe
And...

/CLIENT:"C:\Program Files\EnB_Emu\release\client.exe"
-----

$ wine cmd /c net7proxy.bat

C:\Program Files\EnB_Emu\Net-7\bin>net7proxy.exe /ADDRESS:74.208.192.215 /CLIENT:"C:\Program Files\EnB_Emu\release\client.exe" /POPT /EXREORDER /DML /OPCODES /DEBUGL 
I know I did a stupid when I left out the hyphen in sunrise.net-7.org, but yea... :P

It never runs the .bat file.

Just spits out what I've copypasted in the Terminal.

-----

[Edited]

I did another stupid. >.>

------

$ wine explorer.exe /desktop=enb,1920x1080 net7proxy.bat

C:\Program Files\EnB_Emu\Net-7\bin>net7proxy.exe /ADDRESS:74.208.192.215 /CLIENT:"C:\Program Files\EnB_Emu\release\client.exe" /POPT /EXREORDER /DML /OPCODES /DEBUGL 
Opens up the virtual desktop for a few seconds followed by a crash and it never loads the game. Edited by Nimsy

Opens up the virtual desktop for a few seconds followed by a crash and it never loads the game.

you can open wine command prompth by runing 'wine cmd'

then you can enter commands in bat file manually to see if that works

(you can exit by typing 'exit')

I went ahead and did a complete reinstallation.

Doublechecked that winetricks had crypt32.dll in its list.

I get the same result from trying to run net7proxy.bat

I feel like I inadvertantly messed something up somewhere... I'm positive everything in the .bat file matches what it contained before, when it worked as far as the INV-300... and I have not the slightest idea how to figure out what it might be.

When I use wine cmd to try and launch client.exe on its own, I get as far as "Couldn't connect to the server, try again later."

C:\Program Files\EnB_Emu\Net-7\bin>net7proxy.exe /ADDRESS:74.208.192.215 /POPT /EXREORDER /DML

C:\Program Files\EnB_Emu\Net-7\bin>fixme:heap:HeapSetInformation (nil) 1 (nil) 0
No game launch via that method either.

. and I have not the slightest idea how to figure out what it might be.

When I use wine cmd to try and launch client.exe on its own, I get as far as "Couldn't connect to the server, try again later."

C:\Program Files\EnB_Emu\Net-7\bin>net7proxy.exe /ADDRESS:74.208.192.215 /POPT /EXREORDER /DML

C:\Program Files\EnB_Emu\Net-7\bin>fixme:heap:HeapSetInformation (nil) 1 (nil) 0
No game launch via that method either.

and what happens when you add /CLIENT switch too?

C:\Program Files\EnB_Emu\Net-7\bin>net7proxy.exe /ADDRESS:74.208.192.215 /CLIENT:"C:\Program Files\EnB_Emu\release\client.exe"

and a popup tooltip with... ooh, this is different...

two popups.

One says "Incompatible version of Net7Proxy. Latest version is 2.41"
Other says "Server Failed to respond to Login attempt."

Is there a new download and/or manual patch available?

Other says "Server Failed to respond to Login attempt."

you may need to add another switch to proxy /LADDRESS:0 (or instead of 0, you may also use real internal ip you computer has)
and dont forget these /POPT /EXREORDER /DML
and all switches must be upper case

Is there a new download and/or manual patch available?

cdata.dat
net7proxy.exe

I'm back to the INV-300. :)

Is it sad that I'm actually happy to see that error? :P

Also, interestingly enough, cdata.dat never replaced an existing file (I moved it to /Net-7/bin, in the EnB_Emu directory). It should have occurred to me to check if everything was where it should be after I reinstalled during our previous troubleshooting.

and dont forget these /POPT /EXREORDER /DML
and all switches must be upper case

I never took them out of the .bat file. I just tried different combinations with the manual command entry. :P Edited by Nimsy

edit: oh geeze, I didn't even see all the new posts.. I just assumed the thread died back there in 2009.. sorry!.. I'll go read now...

... aaand back with:

Edit-2: UPDATE: I'm at the INV-300 error now as well, although I've arrived there slightly differently than both Nimsy and Karu.

As stated in the original post (below all this) when I was entirely clueless (as opposed to now, where I'm just clueless) I'm trying to run the Emu via PlayOnLinux, due to the fact that I'm not only clueless but also a complete Linux newb, so yay GUI and nay Terminal-command-line babble and *GASP* compile my own libs? are you mad? us Windows kiddies just can't even comtemplate thatl! gee it's like when I used to do work and.. hmm nvm...

But anyway, what I did was fairly similar to this:

Install client and launcher/proxy as per instructed.

Via POL installed the following components:

Mono210

Crypt32

DotNet2.0 (yay, goodbye below-mentioned exception)

Running under latest stable version of Wine.

This got me as far as the launcher updating and actually launching the client, although there was a huuuge delay before anything happened.

I created another shortcut inside POL for the net7proxy and gave it the following command line as argument:

/ADDRESS:74.208.192.215 /CLIENT:'c:\Program Files\EA GAMES\Earth & Beyond\release\client.exe' /POPT /EXREORDER /DML

And executing that shortcut gets me all the way into Megan.....'s alluring login screen, which unfortunately ends in the aforementioned INV-300 bucket of tears.

Since I solve problems somewhat akin to a blind monkey randomly throwing rocks at the naughty but enticing monolith, I also  added a few more components to see if that made a difference; namely: Internet Explorer 6.0, winhttp, wintrust ... none of which did anything usefull what-so-ever, but they did smell a bit of that there internetish thingy.

In conclusion; it does indeed appear to be an issue with authentication.. at least the authlogin.log file in the release folder of EnB is entirely not pleased with the state of things...

*****OLD post, entirely irrelevant due to lack of reading ability****

Anyone attempted this recently? I'm trying to get it to run under Wine with PlayOnLinux as GUI support, but not entirely successful... Launcher throws a "System.TimeZoneNotFoundException" like this:

[02/14/15 19:06:31] - Running wine-1.7.36 LaunchNet7.exe (Working directory : /home/tv/.PlayOnLinux/wineprefix/EnB1/drive_c/Program Files/Net-7/bin)

Unhandled Exception:
System.TimeZoneNotFoundException: Exception of type 'System.TimeZoneNotFoundException' was thrown.  
  at System.TimeZoneInfo.get_Local () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0   
  at System.CurrentSystemTimeZone.GetUtcOffset (DateTime time) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0   
  at System.TimeZone.GetLocalTimeDiff (DateTime time) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0   
  at System.DateTime.get_Now () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0   
  at System.Windows.Forms.ProgressBar..ctor () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0   
  at (wrapper remoting-invoke-with-check) System.Windows.Forms.ProgressBar:.ctor ()  
  at LaunchNet7.FormMain.InitializeComponent () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0   
  at LaunchNet7.FormMain..ctor () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0   
  at (wrapper remoting-invoke-with-check) LaunchNet7.FormMain:.ctor ()  
  at LaunchNet7.Program.Main (System.String[] args) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0  
[ERROR] FATAL UNHANDLED EXCEPTION: System.TimeZoneNotFoundException: Exception of type 'System.TimeZoneNotFoundException' was thrown.  
  at System.TimeZoneInfo.get_Local () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0   
  at System.CurrentSystemTimeZone.GetUtcOffset (DateTime time) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0   
  at System.TimeZone.GetLocalTimeDiff (DateTime time) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0   
  at System.DateTime.get_Now () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0   
  at System.Windows.Forms.ProgressBar..ctor () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0   
  at (wrapper remoting-invoke-with-check) System.Windows.Forms.ProgressBar:.ctor ()  
  at LaunchNet7.FormMain.InitializeComponent () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0   
  at LaunchNet7.FormMain..ctor () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0   
  at (wrapper remoting-invoke-with-check) LaunchNet7.FormMain:.ctor ()  
  at LaunchNet7.Program.Main (System.String[] args) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0  

Running Ubuntu 14.04 LTS ... tried various versions of Wine, but currently on 1.17.36..

All the previous steps (as described in OP's post) has been done via PlayOnLinux, except for running a never version of mono (but also tried older versions, with the same result).

... sigh.... I could just play on Windows but gah! it has to work! *stomps feet* ! ...

... someone has a magic bullet, I can feel it! ;)

Edited by soda

I made simple console patcher.

Sources available from https://bitbucket.org/nimetu/net7patcher
Can be compiled in either VisualStudio (2010) or MonoDevelop (5.0.1 build3)

Binary can be downloaded from https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7nf-1GJlZa7WTF5d0FRLTctWXc/view?usp=sharing

.net target is 4.0

In linux, it's meant to be launched using 'mono Net7Patcher.exe' and not 'wine Net7Patcher.exe' (should work, but you need .net inside wine)

This does only patching and you still need .bat file or whatever to run the net7proxy.exe with proper arguments.

Did some more digging and....

First,

This uses $HOME/.wine-enb as wine prefix, you may remove it if you want to use default $HOME/.wine
There is no windows components (like crypt32, mono, dotnet) installed in there.

-- certificate install --

First you need current server certificate (one in net7 directory is expired) which you can get from sunrise.net-7.org.crt
Alternatively you can get it by running

openssl s_client -showcerts -connect sunrise.net-7.org:443

and copying certificate from output into new text file.

Then run this and go to 'Content -> Certificates -> Trusted Root Certification Authorities', press import and select sunrise.net-7.org.crt file

WINEPREFIX=$HOME/.wine-enb wine rundll32.exe shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL c:/windows/system32/inetcpl.cpl

If thats done, you should see 'local.net-7.org' with 2016 year expiry date on the list

-- patching --

Now you can run net7/enb installer or copy old files into $HOME/.wine-enb/drive_c/net7 and $HOME/.wine-enb/drive_c/enb
Or just make two empty directories and patcher will pull full 1.6GiB of it.

You may try to get LauncherNet7.exe to work or you can get Net7Patcher.exe I shared earlier and run

WINEPREFIX=$HOME/.wine-enb wine Net7Patcher.exe --stdout --net7 c:/net7 --client c:/enb

If you foolishly installed EnB into program files directory, then patcher command would be --client "c:/program files/earth & beyond"

If patcher seems to be hanging after it should of finished, then ctrl+c will quit.

-- running --

To run EnB config,

WINEPREFIX=$HOME/.wine-enb wine "c:/enb/ebconfig/e&bconfig.exe"

To run game,

WINEPREFIX=$HOME/.wine-enb wine start c:/net7/bin/net7proxy.exe /ADDRESS:74.208.192.215 /CLIENT:c:/enb/release/client.exe /POPT /EXREORDER /DML

(you may need to add /LADDRESS:0 if proxy shows 'Server failed to respond to login' error box at start)

/DML allows mouse to leave EnB window. If you like mouse being traped inside window, then remove it

---

I'm running ubuntu 14.04 and have following wine related packages installed (using ubuntu-wine ppa)
wine1.7 (i386 and amd64)
wine-mono4.5.4
wine-gecko2.34 (i386 and amd64)

• karu unpinned this topic