Linux(maybe mac?)/Wine install guide.

Thanks Nintenduh for this guide. I have followed it and now I can play on my Macbook running Ubuntu 12.04 LTS. It's pretty cool I can run the game fullscreen and get 12-15FPS, considering the shitty specifications of this machine (Graphic card Intel 945GM, CPU 2GHz Intel Core Duo and 1MB RAM).

I have encountered a couple of issues and I thought to share it here in case somebody is stuck:

1) It seems mono isn't hosted anymore at http://ftp.novell.com/pub/mono/archive/2.4.2.3/windows-installer/3/, hence the wget command will fail. I don't know any reliable source, therefore I'm not going to provide any link. But if you search at Google for mono-2.4.2.3-gtksharp-2.12.9-win32-3.exe, it will give you a few links. Just download the file and run wine mono-2.4.2.3-gtksharp-2.12.9-win32-3.exe

2) When I try to run the N7 Launcher with the command wine ~/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/Net-7/bin/LaunchNet7.exe I get a window error saying that the configuration cannot be read. What I do instead is to manually go to the location (cd wine ~/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/Net-7/bin/) and then run the Launcher (wine LaunchNet7.exe).

3) Once I click on the Play button, an icon (Login) appears at the top taskbar. Then I Agree the E&B Service Rules of Conduct and it seems nothing happens (the Macbook doesn't have an activity HDD light). No worries, after a few seconds the game starts.

Hope it helps if anybody needs it.

• 7 months later...

So I've been working on this for awhile now and I've made huge progress. 

I got Net-7 launcher to work and update. The game loads. Only thing holding me back is the "INV-300" error now. 

Running Ubuntu 14.04 and Wine 1.6

• 2 months later...

So I've been working on this for awhile now and I've made huge progress. 

I got Net-7 launcher to work and update. The game loads. Only thing holding me back is the "INV-300" error now. 

Running Ubuntu 14.04 and Wine 1.6

Currently stuck at the "INV-300" error, myself. May be because I'm running Wine 1.4 on Ubuntu 12.04 LTS.....

1) It seems mono isn't hosted anymore at http://ftp.novell.com/pub/mono/archive/2.4.2.3/windows-installer/3/, hence the wget command will fail. I don't know any reliable source, therefore I'm not going to provide any link. But if you search at Google for mono-2.4.2.3-gtksharp-2.12.9-win32-3.exe, it will give you a few links. Just download the file and run wine mono-2.4.2.3-gtksharp-2.12.9-win32-3.exe

2) When I try to run the N7 Launcher with the command wine ~/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/Net-7/bin/LaunchNet7.exe I get a window error saying that the configuration cannot be read. What I do instead is to manually go to the location (cd wine ~/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/Net-7/bin/) and then run the Launcher (wine LaunchNet7.exe).

For #1, if you go to http://www.archive.org and put in http://ftp.novell.com/pub/mono/archive/2.4.2.3/windows-installer/3/ in the search bar, you can get the copy of Mono you're looking for.

For #2, I get the same, sadly >.<

• 2 weeks later...

I downloaded Play on Linux and was able to install multiple copies of Wine and still got the same Inv error. But i'm, thinking even though POL is using seperate installs of Wine, it's still using core files from the main install. 

From what I gathered, I think it has to do with security certificates. 

Edited by BuzzStPoint

Update:

Got a little further today. Installed playonlinux. Along with that I ran the wine 1.1.3.4.

Extensions in POL I installed IE6, Mono, Geko and Dotnet20. 

I can run launcher, when I click on play the load time of ENB is long.. about a 4 minute wait time but it will load.

I don't get the INV300 error when logging in. 

I can see the character selection. Go any further then that I just see a flash of the map screen then crash back to login.

Here's the kicker..

When I select the Prototype reorder I'll get the Inv-300 when loggin in. 

• 2 months later...

I am running a HP Compaq 6910p laptop with an external HDMI screen.

My operating system is Solyd K (KDE), based off of Linux Mint Debian.

Greetings!

It's good to stretch my virtual legs in the Net-7 realm, again.

It has been several years since I played before.  Things certainly seem to have changed, but I am glad to find it still alive and kicking.   :)

However, in the process of wanting to come back and soar around the galaxy, I inevitably ran into a few hangups (primarily with obsolete elements in this guide thread).

The URL listed for "net7setup.exe" is no longer accessible.  Neither is the URL listed for "hNet7_1.8.0.exe".  Are either of these downloads still relevant?

I have the most relevant version of Mono, given that I am choosing to run the most recent stable version of Wine (1.6.2) versus the newest unstable version.

I was able to run the "E&BConfig.exe" as well as the "Character and Starship Creator.exe" without any problems whatsoever, so I am thinking that the game will be fine once I can figure out the main problem I am encountering.

And that is concerning the "LaunchNet7.exe".

$ sudo wine LaunchNet7.exe
libgluezilla not found. To have webbrowser support, you need libgluezilla installed
fixme:wincodecs:PngDecoder_Block_GetCount 0x142df10,0x33efd8: stub
fixme:wincodecs:PngDecoder_Block_GetCount 0x142df10,0x33efd8: stub
fixme:wincodecs:PngDecoder_Block_GetCount 0x1497c90,0x33e8d8: stub
fixme:wincodecs:PngDecoder_Block_GetCount 0x13e1310,0x33e8d8: stub
fixme:wincodecs:PngDecoder_Block_GetCount 0x13e1180,0x33e8d8: stub
fixme:wincodecs:PngDecoder_Block_GetCount 0x13e1258,0x33e8d8: stub
fixme:wincodecs:PngDecoder_Block_GetCount 0x13e1258,0x33e8d8: stub
fixme:wincodecs:PngDecoder_Block_GetCount 0x13ea348,0x33e8d8: stub
fixme:wincodecs:PngDecoder_Block_GetCount 0x13ea378,0x33e8d8: stub
fixme:wincodecs:PngDecoder_Block_GetCount 0x13e9708,0x33ef18: stub
fixme:wincodecs:PngDecoder_Block_GetCount 0x14fa498,0x33ef18: stub
fixme:wincodecs:PngDecoder_Block_GetCount 0x1503db8,0x33e8d8: stub
fixme:wincodecs:PngDecoder_Block_GetCount 0x1503da0,0x33ef18: stub
fixme:wincodecs:PngDecoder_Block_GetCount 0x15805d8,0x33f3e8: stub
System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
at System.Windows.Forms.WebBrowser.Refresh (WebBrowserRefreshOption opt) [0x00000] in :0
at System.Windows.Forms.WebBrowser.Refresh () [0x00000] in :0
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnEnabledChanged (System.EventArgs e) [0x00000] in :0
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnParentEnabledChanged (System.EventArgs e) [0x00000] in :0
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnEnabledChanged (System.EventArgs e) [0x00000] in :0
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnParentEnabledChanged (System.EventArgs e) [0x00000] in :0
at System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnEnabledChanged (System.EventArgs e) [0x00000] in :0
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.set_Enabled (Boolean value) [0x00000] in :0
at (wrapper remoting-invoke-with-check) System.Windows.Forms.Control:set_Enabled (bool)
at System.Windows.Forms.Form.ShowDialog (IWin32Window owner) [0x00000] in :0
at System.Windows.Forms.Form.ShowDialog () [0x00000] in :0
at System.Windows.Forms.MessageBox+MessageBoxForm.RunDialog () [0x00000] in :0
at (wrapper remoting-invoke-with-check) System.Windows.Forms.MessageBox/MessageBoxForm:RunDialog ()
at System.Windows.Forms.MessageBox.Show (IWin32Window owner, System.String text, System.String caption, MessageBoxButtons buttons, MessageBoxIcon icon) [0x00000] in :0 
at LaunchNet7.FormMain.DoDisplayWebpage (System.String url) [0x00000] in :0 
at LaunchNet7.FormMain.FormMain_Load (System.Object sender, System.EventArgs e) [0x00000] in :0 
at System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnLoad (System.EventArgs e) [0x00000] in :0 
at System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnLoadInternal (System.EventArgs e) [0x00000] in :0 
^Cfixme:console:CONSOLE_DefaultHandler Terminating process 27 on event 0 
err:mscoree:expect_no_runtimes Process exited with a Mono runtime loaded.

Also:

$ sudo apt-get install libgluezilla Reading package lists... 
Done Building dependency tree  
Reading state information... 
Done 
Package libgluezilla is not available, but is referred to by another package. 
This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, 
or is only available from another source 

E: Package 'libgluezilla' has no installation candidate

--

libgluezilla appears to be a ghost library/dependency. As you can see, apt-get does not recognize it. And searching for an external source of it (or an alternative) is so far proving fruitless.  All I can find (so far) are backdated references to when the library/dependency was still accessible (and no longer is), or references routing back to Mono.

Edited by Nimsy

Download these and put to net7/bin folder
cdata.dat
net7proxy.exe

Download this and put into 'data/client/ini' under EnB folder
data/client/ini/auth.ini

then create net7proxy.bat file and run it with wine.

c:
cd c:\NET7\bin
net7proxy.exe /ADDRESS:74.208.192.215 /CLIENT:"C:\Earth & Beyond\release\client.exe" /POPT /EXREORDER /DML
modify paths as needed

this should get you to INV-300 error. Now you need to teach wine to trust self signed certificate from https://sunrise.net-7.org/good luck with that.

Thank you, Karu, for the information and links.  I will see if that yields any measure of improvement.   :)

--

[Update]

I followed the above instructions as closely as I was able to.

The Linux instructions to create a batch file only yielded advice concerning an .sh (shell) extension.

If I were to manually write a .bat file (via, i.e., Kate), do you know what would be pertinent?

The path where LaunchNet7.exe is located:  /home/username/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/EnB_Emu/Net-7/bin

I am still receiving the error regarding libgluezilla in Terminal, and LaunchNet7 never actually loads.

I have looked at both LaunchNet7.cfg and LauncherConfig.cfg

If libgluezilla refers specifically to webbrowser support, would the error be centered in what the Launcher uses to natively display patch notes, and call-to for the AutoUpdate command?

Edited by Nimsy

The path where LaunchNet7.exe is located:  /home/username/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/EnB_Emu/Net-7/bin

and client.exe in c:\program files\earth & beyond\release\client.exe ?

c:
cd "c:\Program Files\EnB_Emu\Net-7\bin"
net7proxy.exe /ADDRESS:74.208.192.215 /CLIENT:"C:\Program Files\Earth & Beyond\release\client.exe" /POPT /EXREORDER /DML

If libgluezilla refers specifically to webbrowser support, would the error be centered in what the Launcher uses to natively display patch notes, and call-to for the AutoUpdate command?

yes

Well, isolating the cause of the error helps... a little bit.

Also, client.exe is located at: ~/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/EnB_Emu/release/client.exe

So, therefore...

cd ~/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/EnB_Emu/Net-7/bin
net7proxy.exe /ADDRESS: 74.208.192.215 /CLIENT: "~/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/EnB_Emu/release/client.exe" /POPT /EXREORDER /DML

^ ?

Is that supposed to be without the wine prefix to run net7proxy.exe?

[Update]

I input the above in a Kate file and named it 'net7proxy.bat'
Then I set it to executable.

Also, I may have found a possible alternative to libgluezilla.  I'm not raising my hopes until I can test it, though.

Edited by Nimsy

Well, isolating the cause of the error helps... a little bit.

Also, client.exe is located at: ~/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/EnB_Emu/release/client.exe

So, therefore...

cd ~/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/EnB_Emu/Net-7/bin
net7proxy.exe /ADDRESS: 74.208.192.215 /CLIENT: "~/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/EnB_Emu/release/client.exe" /POPT /EXREORDER /DML

^ ?

Is that supposed to be without the wine prefix to run net7proxy.exe?

paths inside bat are how windows sees them, ie ~/.wine/drive_c is c:\

Ah.  I will fix that.

Also, I found this:  https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=694948

Which is not particularly a positive note for the webbrowser issue.  I'm still rooting around for alternative libraries/dependencies.  Would you have any idea how to make it so it doesn't call-to for an obsolete library?

Ah.  I will fix that.

Also, I found this:  https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=694948

Which is not particularly a positive note for the webbrowser issue.  I'm still rooting around for alternative libraries/dependencies.  Would you have any idea how to make it so it doesn't call-to for an obsolete library?

forget the launcher for now. get game up and crashing, then you can worry if you can update the files or not

cd ~/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/EnB_Emu/release/
wine client.exe

Loaded fine, played introductory movie.

Popped up that it couldn't connect to server and closed when I clicked "Ok"  (of course).

I honestly don't expect too much trouble from the game itself, considering the Character and Starship Creator never gave me issues.

Is there something specific you want me to look for and report back?

Edited by Nimsy

cd ~/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/EnB_Emu/release/
wine client.exe

Loaded fine, played introductory movie.

Popped up that it couldn't connect to server and closed when I clicked "Ok"  (of course).

I honestly don't expect too much trouble from the game itself, considering the Character and Starship Creator never gave me issues.

Is there something specific you want me to look for and report back?

stop thinking. create bat file with the content I gave you with the proper windows side paths for your system and run it with wine net7proxy.bat

All I am getting is this:
wine: Bad EXE format for C:\Program Files\EnB_Emu\Net-7\bin\net7proxy.bat.

right, my bad... one of these probably work

wine start net7proxy.bat

wine cmd /c net7proxy.bat

I run enb inside virtual desktop with

wine explorer.exe /desktop=enb,1024x768 net7proxy.bat

wine start net7proxy.bat :
fixme:exec:SHELL_execute flags ignored: 0x00000100
user@computer ~/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/EnB_Emu/Net-7/bin $ fixme:heap:HeapSetInformation (nil) 1 (nil) 0
briefly opened a window that looked like a Windows cmd popup

It was gone too fast to catch any of the contents.

wine cmd /c net7proxy.bat :
$ wine cmd /c net7proxy.bat

C:\Program Files\EnB_Emu\Net-7\bin>c: 

C:\Program Files\EnB_Emu\Net-7\bin>cd "c:\Program Files\EnB_Emu\Net-7\bin" 

C:\Program Files\EnB_Emu\Net-7\bin>net7proxy.exe /ADDRESS: 74.208.192.215 /CLIENT: "c:\Program Files\EnB_Emu\release\client.exe" /POPT /EXREORDER /DML 
fixme:heap:HeapSetInformation (nil) 1 (nil) 0

Do either of these readouts look/sound like what I should be getting?

--

I currently have the virtual desktop disabled.

wine start net7proxy.bat :
fixme:exec:SHELL_execute flags ignored: 0x00000100
user@computer ~/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/EnB_Emu/Net-7/bin $ fixme:heap:HeapSetInformation (nil) 1 (nil) 0
briefly opened a window that looked like a Windows cmd popup

It was gone too fast to catch any of the contents.

wine cmd /c net7proxy.bat :
$ wine cmd /c net7proxy.bat

C:\Program Files\EnB_Emu\Net-7\bin>c: 

C:\Program Files\EnB_Emu\Net-7\bin>cd "c:\Program Files\EnB_Emu\Net-7\bin" 

C:\Program Files\EnB_Emu\Net-7\bin>net7proxy.exe /ADDRESS: 74.208.192.215 /CLIENT: "c:\Program Files\EnB_Emu\release\client.exe" /POPT /EXREORDER /DML 
fixme:heap:HeapSetInformation (nil) 1 (nil) 0
Do either of these readouts look/sound like what I should be getting?

--

I currently have the virtual desktop disabled.

there should not be any space after /ADDRESS: or /CLIENT:

virtual desktop settings in winecfg are just defaults. explorer.exe with /desktop switch creates virtual desktop on the fly with required resolution as needed.

Erroneous spaces have been duly removed <3

Also, I have now (close) encountered (of the third kind) the "INV-300" error.

Also, on a semi-related note, I figured out how to make the new classes accessible in the Character and Starship Creator via Terminal command.  Which has made me ridiculously happy with my geekery at the present moment.

Erroneous spaces have been duly removed <3

Also, I have now (close) encountered (of the third kind) the "[background=#333333]INV-300" error.

yeah, INV-300 is certificate error. sunrise.net-7.org is using self signed certificate and wine does not like it one bit. you probably need to recompile wine from sources to get around it

Ehm...

I haven't had to straight-up compile anything for many years (apt-get makes for one lazy Linux brat).

Plus, I don't want to mess up my existing installation of Wine.

Advice, please?

[Edit]

And just to be very clear... this is the same INV-300 error that refers to a certificate error?

Cause I am not actually seeing any dialogue concerning a certificate (or a request to download it)

2gse2wg.jpg

Edited by Nimsy

Ehm...

I haven't had to straight-up compile anything for many years (apt-get makes for one lazy Linux brat).

Plus, I don't want to mess up my existing installation of Wine.

Advice, please?

[Edit]

And just to be very clear... this is the same INV-300 error that refers to a certificate error?

Cause I am not actually seeing any dialogue concerning a certificate (or a request to download it)

I have no idea how to make wine trust self signed certificate.

That INV-300 is error correct. In windows, client opens HTTPS connection to sunrise.net-7.org and uses windows certificate store (and you can import root cert there), but under linux, /etc/ssl/certs is used. Just copying cert there does not make it work tho ;-(

An A for effort here. Thanks Karu, didn't know if anyone would be able to help her. I'll look at getting an updated SSL certificate for our sites since Karu has also mentioned this for another problem with us.

• karu unpinned this topic