Linux(maybe mac?)/Wine install guide.

• 4 months later...
I didn't see in here if anyone managed to get the emulator working under OS X with wine/crossover, avoiding the inv-300 error. The reason for the error on os x is because the certificates aren't managed by wine they are managed by OS X. To resolve it, open the wine "c" drive in finder and navigate to the net-7\bin folder and double click on the net7 certificate file (ends in .cer) and it should open and import into Keychain Access. Once that is done, it will run without the inv-300 errors.

• 1 month later...
[quote name='zarchanalin' timestamp='1334175998' post='56672']
I didn't see in here if anyone managed to get the emulator working under OS X with wine/crossover, avoiding the inv-300 error. The reason for the error on os x is because the certificates aren't managed by wine they are managed by OS X. To resolve it, open the wine "c" drive in finder and navigate to the net-7\bin folder and double click on the net7 certificate file (ends in .cer) and it should open and import into Keychain Access. Once that is done, it will run without the inv-300 errors.
[/quote]

I'd love to see more on how to get this to work in Crossover. I have the latest CrossOver and have tried installing both in a WinXP and Vista bottle, never to be able to get past the Net7 exe crashing out, or simply running and disappearing from my dock. I've even gone so far as to install all the runtime modules (i.e. .Net to v3.5) to no avail. Is there some secret to getting the Crossover install to work properly?

Not a big deal since I can play the game fine on my Win7 Bootcamp install, but would be nice to have this running where I don't have to reboot into Windows just to run E&B.

• 6 months later...
Has anybody here been able to install the game client into wineskin on OS X mountain lion? Whenever I try to do so it reaches the point where it tries to load a browser to get the game key from fileplanet, fails, then crashes out of the installation. Any help would be appreciated as playing in a VM is non-ideal and I would prefer to run the game in wine if I can. Thanks!

That sounds odd. No experience of OS X but have done the setup on linux. The ENB installer opens the fileplanet link through a browser on the linux desktop for me. What is it doing on your setup? The same or trying to open iexplorer.exe? Is there any log output from wineskin you can check see whats going on?

Wondering if someone can help with my Linux Install.

I can run Enb Client, and it loads. But can't get Net7 to run. 

I've followed the guide here, but when loading Net7 I get an error.

"Error on Reading Configuration" 

That's all I get. 

Running latest Kubuntu and latest Wine.

Wondering if someone can help with my Linux Install.

I can run Enb Client, and it loads. But can't get Net7 to run. 

I've followed the guide here, but when loading Net7 I get an error.

"Error on Reading Configuration" 

That's all I get. 

Running latest Kubuntu and latest Wine.

Which part of Net 7 won't run, the launcher or the proxy?

Launcher -- if you've installed the latest Wine 1.5.19 then the problem is Mono. Mono uses Gecko to render HTML and for a C# program it requires Gluezilla. Most repositories have dropped Gluezilla because it has been left undeveloped and does not compile with current Mono any more. C# programs that render HTML are so outta luck now under Mono.

If the launcher is crashing there is answer. Instead of using Mono for dotNET support start a new prefix and use 'winetricks --unattended dotnet20' to get the minimum dotNET support installed required by the launcher. This should allow you obtain a working launcher.

Proxy -- if you followed this guide then start a new prefix. Do not use winetricks to install crypt32 it doesn't seem like the proxy will work with it. But wine's crypt32.dll does work with the proxy and has the benefit that wine's debug can be turned on to see what is going on with SSL certificates if needed. However, you do need to compile wine yourself making the hack to wininet/netconnection.c to allow Net 7's certificate to pass and install your built version of wine.

Hope this helps.

Edited by Lot

Ok, Just simply couldn't make it work I removed Wine, (Since I only used it for WOW), 

And installed according to the tutorial with same versions. 

It will load to login, and charictor selection, but stalls at the map screen. 

I can get it to work partially, it only updated once.

But now I have 2 issues. 

When I run  "wine LaunchNet7.exe" the launcher will load but come with an error:

"Error while checking updates for Net7

Details: An error occurred performing a webclient request.

Error while checking updates for client."

My 2nd issue is erratic mouse movements while in EnB. When I move the mouse, (Touchpad) the mouse will shot back and forth erratically. 

Wondering if VirtualBox would run better. 

Edited by BuzzStPoint

1st issue are you running the launcher from the Net 7/bin folder? Gotta run most of programs from the folder they are installed in so in the shell a cd is needed first. 2nd issue may be try a USB mouse if you've got one handy?

• 1 month later...

Edit

-----

Since PlayOnLinux allows me to install different wine versions I installed the one the main OP  "wine 1.3.28" and the installation works now :)

Net-7 launches too although the option to play and the others on top are greyed out.. so I'm on that one now .

-----------------

Hello,

In my case the EnB install fails, I am getting:

Error: -1603 Fatal Error during Installation.

[sharedmedia=core:attachments:2345]

I have tried wine 1.4.1 as well as PlayOnLinux script, both with same results.

Any tips will be apreciated!

Terminal spits all these, although nothing seems to ring the bell for me:

$ wine eandb_demo.exe
fixme:storage:create_storagefile Storage share mode not implemented.
fixme:storage:create_storagefile Storage share mode not implemented.
fixme:apphelp:ApphelpCheckInstallShieldPackage stub: 0x33f394 L"C:\\users\\daniel\\Temp\\tempinstall\\Earth & Beyond.msi"
err:ole:CoInitializeEx Attempt to change threading model of this apartment from multi-threaded to apartment threaded
fixme:ntdll:NtFsControlFile FSCTL_PIPE_IMPERSONATE: impersonating self
err:msi:ACTION_InstallFiles compressed file wasn't installed (L"C:\\Program Files\\EA GAMES\\Earth & Beyond\\release\\mp3dec.asi")
err:msi:ITERATE_Actions Execution halted, action L"InstallFiles" returned 1603
err:rpc:RpcServerUnregisterIf not found for object (null)
err:ole:dispatch_rpc no apartment found for ipid {ffffffff-ffff-ffff-4400-00002a000000}
err:rpc:I_RpcReceive we got fault packet with status 0x80010108
err:ole:dispatch_rpc no apartment found for ipid {ffffffff-ffff-ffff-4400-00002a000000}
fixme:shell:SHChangeNotify ignoring unsupported flags: 2001

Edited by dafema

Wine spews out messages on standard output/error regardless if the ENB installation succeeds or not. That sample you showed looked normal nothing exceptional. Do you have WINEARCH=win32 set? If not, you may need to try that create a new prefix first.

Thanks!

I left that in case anyone has the same problem, but I editted to show I solved the problem using the main OP wine version...

Now my problem is Net7Launcher launches OK but remains "Checking Updates for Net7" but does nothing and I can't do anything from there.

-----

edit:

dotnet20 seems to have solved this one..

---

edi2:

I could launch the game and even login, but that takes you to the loading screen and gets stuck in that screen forever, I had to shut it down.

Edited by dafema

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Man I have all this installing and launching reliably but I still cant get past the INV-300 error. 

I dont know if this thread is still moving at all but thought I would ask. 

I get the following error when launching. I tried just launching net7proxy alone just to see and it reproduced the error. 

winsock:interface_bind Failed to bind to interface, receiving broadcast packets will not work on socket 0074.

Also during Net7 install it said it failed to make registry changes. Is anyone aware of the registry changes so I can make them manually....is this causing my issue?

Thanks so much in advance for any assistance offered. 

PS this is running on wine 1.5. 

Shakz -- wine 1.5 and inv-300 error.

Did you make the modification to netconnection.c in wine and recompile? That cures the INV-300 error.

Edit: Not sure what registry errors you mean but if it is the standard warnings and errors that wine spews out mostly you can ignore all that or &>/dev/null. But if you start the proxy and client and see stuff about sunset you can do the following:

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Westwood Studios\Earth and Beyond\Registration]
"Registered"=dword:00000001

Save the above as registered.reg and run wine regedit registered.reg (might've noted this before in this thread?)

Edited by Lot

Thanks for your reply Lot.....

Is the mod listed somewhere?

I must have missed it.....

Found this also...which I guessing hacking and recompiling fixes........

err:wininet:netcon_secure_connect_setup SSL_connect failed: 12045

Yes that wininet error message is directly related.

wine/dlls/netconnection.c function netconn_secure_verify()

if (!endCert) ret = FALSE;
        if (ret)
        {
            /* Begin HACK */
            DWORD_PTR err;
            {
                if (getenv("WINEHACKENB"))
                {
                  TRACE("HACKENB: stage %d: security flags = 0x%x\n", 1, conn->security_flags);
                  conn->security_flags |= SECURITY_FLAG_IGNORE_UNKNOWN_CA | SECURITY_FLAG_IGNORE_CERT_CN_INVALID;
                  TRACE("HACKENB: stage %d: security flags = 0x%x\n", 2, conn->security_flags);
                }
            }
            err = netconn_verify_cert(conn, endCert, store);
            /* End HACK */

if (err)
            {
                pSSL_set_ex_data(ssl, error_idx, (void *)err);
                ret = FALSE;
            }
        }

export WINEHACKENB=1

The modification was detailed a few pages back -- the above version uses an environment variable to switch the modification on and off so wine can be used normally without certificate modification.

if someone is doing own WINE compiling, then this hack allows EnB to run with latest wine.
This will punch gigantic hole to WINE ssl connection so be warned.

diff --git a/dlls/wininet/netconnection.c b/dlls/wininet/netconnection.c
index cfc4e7c..c45dcf8 100644
--- a/dlls/wininet/netconnection.c
+++ b/dlls/wininet/netconnection.c
@@ -349,6 +349,11 @@ static int netconn_secure_verify(int preverify_ok, X509_STORE_CTX *ctx)
         if (!endCert) ret = FALSE;
         if (ret)
         {
+            /* hack to allow invalid certificates */
+            conn->security_flags |= SECURITY_FLAG_IGNORE_UNKNOWN_CA | 
+                SECURITY_FLAG_IGNORE_CERT_CN_INVALID;
+            /* /hack */
+
             DWORD_PTR err = netconn_verify_cert(endCert, store, server,
                                                 conn->security_flags);

Found it

Sounds about right. I got wine to compile with the horrendous hack in it but cant figure out/gave up trying to get it to install properly on my system. This is after 15 or more attempts to install. Ill try again after a break.

So to summarise: EnB works only in 1.3.x wine, it does not install in 1.4.x and necessitates a horrendous hack in 1.5.x. OK.

• 2 weeks later...

I am thinking about rewriting this guide. I've been busy with work and all. I was thinking of making a script that used the PlayOnLinux route. I am all for hacks but I would like to keep it simple. Any suggestions?

• 3 weeks later...

This worked for me on my Chromebook.  Here are the resources I used:

Please note I am not a Linux person.  I have the Chromebook and decided to hack it a bit.  I will do my best to answer questions, but I am not a Linux expert.

Chromebook is a Samsung Series 5 5550 https://www.samsung.com/us/computer/chrome-os-devices/XE550C22-A01US

Other Chromebooks should work.  I am not using the SSD drive for the Linux install.  Only Chrome OS is on the SSD.  This Chromebook does have the 64bit Intel processor.  I am not sure if this would work on an ARM processor.  The Chromebook must be in developer mode and have the registry hack to enable booting from USB

I installed Linux on a 16GB micro jump drive (from Staples, they had it on sale).  I tried installing on an 8GB SD card, but there was not enough room for Linux, wine, and EnB files.

First I installed Linux per this link:

http://chromeos-cr48.blogspot.com/2012/12/so-you-want-chrubuntu-on-external-drive.html

I did not do any updates, I followed the WINE and EnB Install, with a few minor changes:

//Install mesa-utils
sudo apt-get install mesa-utils

//Install wine and winetricks - Took a long time
sudo apt-get install wine winetricks

//Before you do anything with Wine, configure it for 32bit
WINEARCH=win32 winecfg

//Instead of Mono, I used wintricks DOTNET20
wintricks dotnet20

//Install crypro32
winetricks crypt32

//Now install EnB and Net7
wine Downloads/eandb_demo.exe
wine Downloads/Net-7_Install.exe

Now I used the icon on the desktop to run Net7 and did all the Net7 and Client updates.

After I tested the EnB Install, I did all of the Linux updates and I've done this twice to ensure it is not a fluke.

Ensuring WINE is in 32Bit mode is very important, and I had better luck with DOTNET20 in place of Mono.  I've attached a screen shot of me in the game from my Chromebook.

• 1 month later...

hi, i'm trying to install this on linux (ubuntu) and i've gotten as far as half way through installing eandb_demo.exe and it crashes with the message

Error: -1603 Fatal error during installation.

I have tried a few things in this thread(like installing dotnetfx.exe) and still no joy. Any suggestions would be appreciated

I can also tell you it says :

err:msi:ACTION_InstallFiles compressed file wasn't installed (L"C:\\Program Files\\EA GAMES\\Earth & Beyond\\release\\mp3dec.asi")

regards

Cronotan

• 3 weeks later...

I have a mostly good install of Linux EnB install. 

Currently running Kubuntu 13.04 and wine 1.4.1

At 1st my install wasn't good, couldn't get Net7 to run properly. 

But my install is kinda long but worked out in the end. Don't ask me why.... Cause I just don't know. 

1st followed the instructions to install EnB.

When I couldn't get that to work. 

I installed WoW. That turned out just fine, played that till I was bored. 

Then I plugged away at trying to get Ultima Online to work. Once I got that to work I played UO for a while. 

Loaded up Enb and seemed all worked fine. 

So, Something with Enb, Wow and Ultima Online completes the install for EnB. 

Should also note that Net7 client is installed, but EnB is not installed, I copied the whole folder over from my Windows drive. 

Now to my problem. 

The Touch pad. 

When I load up and start the game it all works fine. But somewhere along the line, the mouse cursor will go all funky. I'll put the cursor where I want it and click it will jump upwards, then back down. If it doesn't jump around like that it will not click at all. 

So far the only remedy is to push my touch pad off button, then push it again to turn it back on. This seems to correct it, but only for a short while or sometimes for a few seconds. 

This only seems to happen on EnB. 

Ideas?

I'm no linux freak, so I'm still learning. 

Edited by BuzzStPoint

• karu unpinned this topic