So You Want To Be A Developer?

Kyp

Yo folks,

We need hands, lots of them for the upcoming stuff that we're to be doing.

That being said if you're interested in development please e-mail me. Kyp at net-7 dot org

I need some basic qualifications. You don't need to know how to program, just write stories and don't mind staring at spreadsheets (there's a lot of this inglorious kind of work to be done)

That is all.

Kyp

• 1 month later...
Do you mean a Game Master? (CSR, as it were)?

If so, you submit your interest to Blacklung; our head GM and he will tell you if he needs help or interview you as appropriate.

If you're talking like Game Producer and such, well that's something where you'd have to start off lower and work your way up over time. ;)

[quote name='scrag' timestamp='1335886516' post='57259']
I would be interested in helpping out the Dev's and the Development of this game and I have all kinds of time ...
[/quote]

LMAO
Didnt see this coming!!!
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

Are you recruiting more devs to develop Jenquai? I understand this is just for storyline development? However I noticed we have 3 lead developers for each race. Kyp (terran) Kenu (jenquai) and Byahkee (progen). Terrans have 2 more developers Curis and Vitaes. There doesnt appear to be any help for Kenu or Byahkee. Are terrans that much harder to figure out? Nothing against Curis but he shows he has 3 toons all progens and he is listed as a terran developer. :blink:
Just a thought but wouldnt it be prudent to have developers with a 150 toon of the class/race they are trying to help develop?
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Wow I get a negative response for my opinion? <_< Whatever. You didn't even have the nerve to post why you feel that way. Are you a Terran?Come on what is wrong with you? Seriously I don't get some of the people that post here. It's an observation, I see lots of terran developers to work on Terrans. But no developers working on Jenquai concerns, no one for the jenquai community to ask questions or have input into that race/class.

If I am wrong, a pox on my house. Edited by Algaron

[quote name='Algaron' timestamp='1335993560' post='57319']
Wow I get a negative response for my opinion? lol Whatever. You didn't even have the nerve to post why you feel that way. Come on what is wrong with you?
[/quote]

For the record, it wasn't me that down-voted you, nor do I know who did or why that person felt the need to do so. As to my choice of play toons, I've admittedly always preferred the Progen to the other two races, but what always me drew to the game in Live (where, by the way, I had multiple OL150 toons), and even now, was the story--the background and interplay between all of the races. Edited by Curis

Well its kind of my point about this. You love to play the progen class- you are intimately familiar with the race and each class. IMHO don't you think you would be logical choice to work on Progen development? Why would I feel comfortable talking to a TE about what is wrong with my cloak or a Progen about what is wrong with my summon or fold space? Pretty hard to understand the class if you don't even play one? Doesn't that make sense at all?

I have never played a progen ever - not live and not here. I wouldn't have the first clue as to what is wrong with the race/class. Nor would I attempt to tell a Progen or post about progens skills telling them this needs to be nerfed or that has to be nerfed. And yet most every post I have seen concerning Jenquai and cloak or some such skill inevitably has some terran telling me that cloak needs to be nerfed. Edited by Algaron

[quote name='Algaron' timestamp='1335994576' post='57321']
Well its kind of my point about this. You love to play the progen class- you are intimately familiar with the race and each class. IMHO don't you think you would be logical choice to work on Progen development? Why would I feel comfortable talking to a TE about what is wrong with my cloak or a Progen about what is wrong with my summon or fold space? Pretty hard to understand the class if you don't even play one? Doesn't that make sense at all?
[/quote]

You're making a lot of assumptions here. Just because I prefer the Progen does not mean that I'm not quite familiar with the others, or that I haven't played them. When I was taken on, I was placed where I was needed. I didn't care where. Again, the storyline is my primary focus, and I believe I made that clear to Kyp when I answered this thread a while ago. Besides, Kyp has, at least so far, been happy enough with what I've been doing to keep me on, so that's the last I'm going to say about it.

I understand wanting to get involved, particularly when it comes to storyline development, but you're ultimately not doing yourself any favors here with the borderline adversarial and condescending stance you've taken. As I said, I don't know who downvoted you or why, only that I didn't take offense to anything you had written. Opinions are opinions.

[quote name='Algaron' timestamp='1335996243' post='57323']
Many apologies then. I didn't think I was being adversarial just curious. To any I have offended, gosh I am sorry. I won't mention this again and will not bring it up again. :mellow:
[/quote]

Algaron, I'm not telling you to not bring it up again, and I'm certainly not telling you to not ask if there is a place you can slide in to help out. By all means, if you want to help, come on back and pursue that. All I was really getting at was that you were making a lot of assumptions in what you were saying. That's all.

Lol, trust this coming from someone who works on the inside, the most valuable opinion is sometimes one with the least experience, because those most intimately linked tend to be less objective.

That said, the only reason Kenu and Freak (progen lead) dont' have more people is because they haven't asked me for any. If/when they do, I will seek more from the applicants out there.

the problem right now is the workload is heavily on documentation which most people shy away from, just one of those parts of life that suck but have to be done. I'm making them do it so we can run story stuff much more cleanly and effectively without every npc in the game suffering from Multiple Personality Disorder. ;)

That said, I welcome anyone who applies to be a developer if they show me they have the interest and will apply themselves because frankly, its work and its not paid unfortunately. :)

I was tempted to write a mission up for you, I wasn't sure how you go about adding missions though so I thought id hold off on writing something up that would have been useless lol. I was going to do the mission to make the sturdy solar pannel for the device/reactor/shield prints that was in live.

[quote name='Paul' timestamp='1336006941' post='57336']
I was tempted to write a mission up for you, I wasn't sure how you go about adding missions though so I thought id hold off on writing something up that would have been useless lol. I was going to do the mission to make the sturdy solar pannel for the device/reactor/shield prints that was in live.
[/quote]

That would be a cool mission for Traders & Explorers. Would love to see the old Zach mission. Curious, is the Zeke mission that gives the SS7 in game yet?

[url="http://www.alcyonecodesmith.com/enb/missions_l7_solarsail.shtml"]Here's[/url] the SS7 mission, that's a link to the walk through so shouldn't be too tough to recreate. Theirs also a shopping list for the sturdy solar panel mission [url="http://www.alcyonecodesmith.com/enb/sturdy_solar_panel.txt"]here[/url].

Now that I think about it, in Live the rewards for doing the Zack mission were a device, reactor, and shield. That worked out in such a way that the Sentinel, Tradesman, and Explorer got 2 of 3 prints they could build. With the Scout, Seeker, and Privateer doing the mission as well, the JT and PT each get 2 items they can build, but the Scout only gets one. Perhaps an engine mini-line can be added to the rewards for the mission.

• 1 month later...
Guest Skrapp
I'll throw in some time per week on whatever I can help with. I've an IT background, went into technical writing then training then consulting on specialized IT needs, so I am ok with word processing, spreadsheets, data analysis and manipulation. I also do information systems management for the special-needs IT stuff, with basic-intermediate web development in there for flavor (mainly on Wordpress customizing themes for my own site / project sites, but I can do limited db stuff too).

From what I've seen, I'm thinking there's chances to do things like proofreading and validating the content of quest text, etc. But I'm up for putting time in on whatever you guys have on the table.