Focus Test

Kyp

Hi folks,

This upcoming Saturday we need to have a focus test to once and for all (hopefully) squash the "Unknown (0)" bug often seen on the edges of radar/or beyond range.

This will be at 5pm US EST on Saturday when Tienbau is available. During this time, the server may be paused multiple times, but we need to get as many people as possible out killing mobs and doing combat. Preferably with as many accounts/friends as you guys can get into the game.

We look forward to seeing you there.

Note: To minimize wipes to test these systems, we need full participation. Please don't disappoint. (no pressure or anything ;) )

move around in space, especially moving past lots of mobs.

Flying repeatedly through the Chavez swarm in Glenn, so the mobs come into then out of view and back in would be good. As with the Scuttlebugs in Saturn on the way to Uranus.

That's all - once the bug happens (the one we've all seen with 'Unknown(0)' at 0,0,0) I have added code which will stop the server and hopefully I'll be able to work out where this is coming from.

I know precisely what you are talking about. I've seen it happen in Cooper occasionally. I'll be fighting a bunch of fish then there will be ungodly lag, and when it clears up one of the mobs has disappeared and shows far in the distance as "unknown(0)." I'll gladly help you try and track down this bug.

Never seen the bug, but if me being there farming Chavs will help, by the lords of kobal, I will try to be there.

[quote name='David' timestamp='1329893684' post='54219']
Why dont we create a raid with mobs and have people warp around and some people killing. We can do this in 2 or 3 sectors to balance some of the load.
[/quote]
The Halloween Raid maybe?

[quote name='Toaster' timestamp='1329823868' post='54171']
I know precisely what you are talking about. I've seen it happen in Cooper occasionally. I'll be fighting a bunch of fish then there will be ungodly lag, and when it clears up one of the mobs has disappeared and shows far in the distance as "unknown(0)." I'll gladly help you try and track down this bug.
[/quote]

A bit more background. I was looting when this bug occured and my tractor beam was redirected to point 0.0.0. I'm sure others have seen this as well, where the tractor beam is focused off in the distance. I figured this was just a display bug where the client lagged and then wasn't sure where to place the tractor beam animation so it defaulted to the center of the sector. This may be related to the Unknown(0) bug.

Just figured I'd bring it up :)

[quote name='David' timestamp='1329893684' post='54219']
Why dont we create a raid with mobs and have people warp around and some people killing. We can do this in 2 or 3 sectors to balance some of the load.
[/quote]
Sounds like fun!
Maybe you could spawn whole swarms of mobs for us mid-level players too in a few predetermined locations...

I'll try to take part. The wife has recently gotten on me, though, about how much I've been living in Aragoth lately.

You had mentioned it will begin at 5PM EST. Any word on how long it will last? That might very well decide whether I'll be able to contribute. Or will it pretty much be open-ended until you're able to get the data you need?

I always thought that was Big Brother watching. Unknown (0).
I forsee DEVs and Beta's flying Vrix ships in Jupiter again and
those "Terrible Giant Tribbles".

I'll be there (x3)

[quote name='Phorlaug' timestamp='1329930715' post='54244']
I always thought that was Big Brother watching. Unknown (0).
I forsee DEVs and Beta's flying Vrix ships in Jupiter again and
those "[b]Terrible Giant Tribbles[/b]".

I'll be there (x3)

[/quote]

I remember those, one of them ate Saturn.

the tractor beam to 0,0,0 bug is something different. This sometimes happened in the live game I heard. I think it is some sort of timing issue, although I am replicating the exact tractor beam config that we had from the recorded packets and yet it still sometimes happens ... Probably intereference from an alien mind probe ray.

WHAT?? no! not the mind probe.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4tYcP-0KsY"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4tYcP-0KsY[/url]

in case you have no idea what I'm talking about this video explains all.

This bug happens to me all the time. Though it always seems to happen just as I kill the mob there is a bit of lag and the mob just slowly drifts away showing as "unknown". The mob is always right close to me when it happens as well.

thanks guys,

managed to get two things done in this session - I found the cause of the Unknown(0) bug which the server makes, which was the main reason for the test (fix will come after next restart), and also tested some fixes I've been working on locally to reduce the data rate from the mobs.

It turned out the static mobs were spamming engine on/engine off each 0.5s behaviour cycle, and also they were spamming a position update to orient themselves toward the target even if they were directly pointing there anyway.

With these, and a couple of other fixes I managed to bring the combat data rate down to about half of what it was, hopefully this will help a lot with combat lag.

[quote name='Tienbau' timestamp='1330227473' post='54380']
With these, and a couple of other fixes I managed to bring the combat data rate down to about half of what it was, hopefully this will help a lot with combat lag.
[/quote]

Awesome. Glad we could help :P

I love to hear this... Thanks for being such a good volunteer bud! Time to test this out after update :)