Can We Use A Cheaper Donation Method?

Pink

Just wondering whether there are cheaper options than Paypal. It just seems like such a waste to pay them so much of our donations.

I just wanted to bring this up, but I do not have any suggestions for another safe and international option.

[quote name='Pink' timestamp='1328891041' post='53466']
Just wondering whether there are cheaper options than Paypal. It just seems like such a waste to pay them so much of our donations.

I just wanted to bring this up, but I do not have any suggestions for another safe and international option.
[/quote]

The problem is with ebay and other big sites allowing you to use paypal ...most folks HAVE paypal ...so IMHO kinda stuck...i my situation i've tried other
pay sites but they don't like American Express which i prefer ....paypal asks for credit card info like them all ...in case your e-check bounces but at least they take it
as a back up..the other sites say visa only or their own banking option to get you with fees in the other direction ...some don't even take e-checks has to be credit card only.

paypal is much like ebay way too big to ignore...and if we add another e-payment option ...they will likely want just as much of a cut
so the savings may be some but in my view kinda like banking i can't see the fees being much less in the smaller e-services don't have a large enough
$$$ base so their fees are likely the same or higher then paypal in that it has a large base....anyway.....my view not the projects view

Searing

We could do a direct credit transfer I'm sure - most (all?) online banking allows this and it ought to be safer than paypal since most banks are pretty good these days. My bank has a widget that needs its own code typed in, which produces another psudeo random code, in addition to which you need an static ID code, and to answer a secret question.

This is probably the only lossless credit transfer we would be able to use.

It possible it could go through the Automated Clearing House (ACH) system as described above, but generally in the US you need a credit card processing account with an acquirer. You cannot really do this on your own directly through the banks here.

We use Paypal because it is the most accessible for anyone and has a good reputation. Also I would note that from working in the credit card industry like I do, their fees aren't really as high as you might think. They aren't low by any means, but they're lower than the average for donation purposes.

If you give me a US or UK account number and routing number/sortcode (or IBAN) I will use it in preference to PayPal. PM if necessary. Or a Person2Person transfer to a reliable Dev's account. (I now they are ALL reliable lol).

When I donate I usually donate when it hurts.
What I mean to say that it's usually over $50-$100.

I know that it may not work well with the Monthly scheme of things
but it works well for me, and honestly[u] I know it may be sad to hear but[/u]
[u]I'll be the One to say it first. [/u]The intervals between the donations
may be shorter with some very nice content added, It makes parting with
the $$$ much easier because I'm so dam excited !!

Psychologically thats how people think.
"OOoo The New Iphone has this, I'm going out to But one"
Although their current IPhone works just fine, something new and exciting
will cause them to lay the money down.

Does the Paypal method deduct by dollar amount or by transaction ?
$10 - $2.50 charges = net $7.50....
10 donations at $10 = $100 - $25.00 charges = $75.00 net
$100 - $2.50 = Net $97.50
Making a larger donation at a base $100.00 instead of multiple $10 donations
will Net the EMU $22.50 more..

Is this how Paypal is set up. ???
Just the truth and my thoughts and what I myself prefer.
I just went back and read what I said and its terrible, I Know...

Everyone charges with that structure in the industry. The only ones that get away without the % are what's referred to as a 'pass-thru' merchant and they pay only the flat trans fees; however, they don't offer that to you as a merchant unless you make several million dollars in credit card sales a year to start with.