Show drop locations / mob in database  

64 members have voted

1. 1. Show drop locations/mob in database

• Yes
    • No
    • What is a mob?
    • What is dropping mudkipz plz?

Morning!

May i suggest removing the "This item has hidden drops in the database" and show the drop location/mob instead?

There is not really any reason to "hide" it because:
Everyone is asking in the market channel for drop locations - and you always get an answer where it drops.
If you dont get an answer, its not dropping.

So all its causing is is frequently market chat like "Where does....drop?".

There is [b]nothing[/b] "secret" in EnB-EMU, there is [b]always[/b] someone who know this and that.

The originally intention to "hide" drop locations was (so a dev posting a bit ago) to make finding loot "challenging".
Well, its not "challenging", its quite annoying.

If the current DB wont show drop locations, player (incl. me) go to other sites and find out drop locations. But these infos are often outdated.
So we go to the place just to find out (hours later), that it's simply not dropping - and that makes it annoying.

I figured this yesterday when i was trying to find 4 items and there wasn't a single drop where it should be.
I then asked in market and got the correct locations and mob.

So next time i even dont bother to go to the place of "outdated informations" - i ask market directly.

So...the "hidden DB" has no meaning any longer but annoyance.

Let me show you some statements from ingame:

[XXXXX] XXXX: i just hate being told to go to a data base that is not up to date or lame 90% of the info needed
[XXXXX] XXXX: hidden drops mean the gm's are giveing the item to [XXXXX] members . . [size=3][i](here was a guild name)[/i][/size]

We dont need that....i say "lift the veil of annoyance".....

Survey is to avoid "+1" postings - rather click there.
  • Upvote 2

As a DEV and a Player with access to all Drop databases etc I still would prefer to find them in game by asking on the market etc or by hunting them down.
This is what made the "Live" community. People talked to each other.
Lets not make the Emu like EVE Online where its Very quiet in Chat unless you are in a Corp (Guild).

Giving the general public access to all the drops make the game a lot less playable. We may as well set you all up with 150 chars also.
Get out and Explore. Make friends on the Market. Play the damn Game !

I vote No.
  • Upvote 1

<remove dev hat>
This topic has been debated for a long time.

never in the existence of EnB has there been a [b]LINKED[/b]/[b]OFFICAL[/b] site that shows all drops, Zackman, you have just re-enforced our case as to why they are 'hidden'. All sites that existed (i was a member of a guild with one of the most popular databases when EnB was 'Live') were 100% community sourced, people collating information.

I wrote the first database that used the dumps from this project (before they were removed), and as a player, seen it from both sides, and i must say i agree with Shaddex on this, spoon feeding made the game boring.

MMORPG's rely on the community to stay alive, without the social interaction you might as well just play a single player game.

If we apply your mentality to the game, why not let all races/classes build everything and be able to use everything so they dont need to get involved with the other players.

So on that basis, im out. (Vote No)
</remove dev hat>

My actual vote is no also.

I have gamed in several sandboxes that required immense amounts of exploring and learning by failing. If you ever played a crafter in star wars galaxies early on youd get this. The Uber capped gear literally took years to figure out and obtain.

Even after people started getting stuff, it was almost 4 years into the games life before it was wholesale free for all.

I liked that part, not everyone was just capped out within a month.

My main comment is that we should ensure that loot DOES drop, noting that the next content patch will include 50 or so of the missing items. Also looking forward to the opening of Ardus and Der Todesengel one day. I'd also like a little bit more love for hulks so that more special items do occasionally drop even very rarely. I remember Endriago having some sexy stuff - now AWOL.

Part of my enjoyment is finding these items, and although I scour the existing resources and have a pretty good spreadsheet you cannot beat going round every location and sampling every mob you meet. Every day I fit max scan and go round a couple of systems scavenging. For me - that is the game.
  • Upvote 1

Well, obv. the database is not even correct or outdated.

Lets take the "Ivory ward" for example:

The Net-7 Database says:
Hung Kwan Novice Red Dragon 48

But the item is dropping from (eg.) L45 drones in BBW.

The Model Y L6 shield:
DB says (also)
Free Spacer Mediator 31

But it's not dropping there - considering market talk (and my own experience).

If we dont show the drop locations by default (Item->mob), at least the reverse order (Mob->item) should be correct and up to date. Edited by Zackman

Vote no for un-hiding everything.
Vote yes for correcting or removing misleading information that's still there. In particular:
the drop list on mob search
items listing "hidden drops" when they only drop from mobs that either don't spawn or spawn in sectors unavailable

Also vote against making every drop location available. Should be some mystery to where items drop, and in some cases drop locations should be periodically changed where the nature of the equipment and storyline permit.

[quote name='Zackman' timestamp='1328633491' post='53270']
Lets take the "Ivory ward" for example:

The Net-7 Database says:
Hung Kwan Novice Red Dragon 48

But the item is dropping from (eg.) L45 drones in BBW.

[/quote]

Not sure what database you are looking at for that one but I get "This Item has hidden drops in the db"

But just so yo uk now, they drop from numerous mobs in numerous sectors.

I vote no to revealing all on the DB. I like to have a challenge when I play, if I just want it all handed to me I will be bored to death and probably get disgusted and stop playing. If that happens to too many people, where would the EMU project be?

[quote name='Shaddex' timestamp='1328646181' post='53291']
Not sure what database you are looking at for that one but I get "This Item has hidden drops in the db"

But just so yo uk now, they drop from numerous mobs in numerous sectors.
[/quote]

This is the Net 7 DB.

Look up the L45 drones (under Mobs), no ivory ward listed for them - but it drops also from the L45 drone.

Look up the Ooze, its still listed for the Sporemother L36, but its on Bison and Sagat.
On Sagat its not listed in the DB.

The DB is incorrect showing wrong infos, Shaddex. Edited by Zackman

I vote no also, for the simple reason, it is part of the challange to go out & find stuff that makes the game interesting & fun to play. again, most times you can get an answer from other players. granted there is a lot of joking around when getting the answer, but I find that part of the game "fun"; people inter-acting with each other is part of this game. I did not play "live", but I have found this one of the best games to play. I have a lot of time to play & enjoy the interaction with other players. to "easily" obtain items would be so boring that I would probably not play the game, I have done so with other mmos. Also, it is an option to ask if someone has some of these items, as when a toon "outgrows" them, most people will give them away or store in their vault, I have done this & many others have also. I would rather the Devs & GMs spend their time on getting the game up to par, so that all aspects of the game can be implemented in the near future, instead of spending their time, pampering the people who want everything handed to them. I have toons of every race/class; 8 of which are at level 150, and have gotten them there by PLAYING the game. searching for items/ ores, etc. is part of the game play.

Would there be a way to ACCURATELY tell if something does or does not drop - I think that much would be reasonable since not all things are in the game yet and that's not really the same as a stable state game...

I agree with Ted - having an accurate listing of what does not drop, and what is simply hidden will remove a lot of frustration. I also voted no, because if the info is already out there, it reduces the need to rely on & talk to other players.

[quote name='Ted Thompson' timestamp='1328666835' post='53301']
Would there be a way to ACCURATELY tell if something does or does not drop - I think that much would be reasonable since not all things are in the game yet and that's not really the same as a stable state game...
[/quote]

Now that I could kinda see.

I vote yes.

Even if you know EXACTLY what drops the item you are seeking, you have to:
A. find the mob that drops it.
B. kill the mob that drops it.
C. map the item dropped or chance a loot roll for unique if in group for it
D. camp for possibly days (months) for named mob to show or drop it.

If you can't find that "player interaction" you crave from steps A-D, then you fail.

A DB that has a spoiler alert warning, then shows what is CONFIRMED to drop it (and possibly rarety of loot/mob) is NOT too onerous nor does it damped "player interaction".

Searching for the mob or chancing the drop is "going out and exploring". Chancing the terminal scan fails is "interacting", I have yet to not see someone post a wahoo or boohoo from a tough recipe scan at least in local chat. Even if they know what drops item and the location of mob, if the mob is tough, they are going to have to "interact" a combat group together to go have a chance to loot the item, even if its soloable, the SMART player is going to at a minimum get advice on the mob like what resists it has or strange AI etc.

A example: do you know how many times miner bing has fallen to my/friends weapons since the start of ST4? Thousands.....all in the attempt to get a miner fury/ammo drop. I have yet to get a single drop of either. Now we KNOW bing is SUPOST to drop those, and yet I have seen nobody get one drop from him for ages. IF there was a up-to-date DB that could confirm that indeed he still did drop it, no matter the rarity, it would be exceedingly nice. Now the DB confirming he drops it, and the rarety of drop, would that still make me not have to kill him? no. Would it still stop me or someone else from having to camp or search is spawn point for him? no. But a DB entry could confirm that its worth us still TRYING, and if it was linked to actual kill vs. looted stats we could judge rarety.
  • Downvote 1

[quote name='Mattsacre' timestamp='1328750554' post='53322']IF there was a up-to-date DB that could confirm that indeed he still did drop it, no matter the rarity, it would be exceedingly nice.[/quote]You can't see what mob drops specific item, but you can (bizarrely) see what items does mob drop.

[b]Thank you all for your answers, opinions and feedback.[/b]

I would not have thought that many of you find it challenging/fun actually exploring drop and locations and so many considering it an important reason for market chat.

I am the player type saying "i need this, where can i find it (scroll list...)" - go there, hunt down, loot.
But that's just me, more a "technically" guy mostly results-oriented.

To me the mob-hunt and loot is the "job", the success - not exploring the galaxy (i explored the Galaxy already) for the mob dropping it.

I consider searching for loot (and therefore killing hundreds of mob for nothing) an "ineffective use of playtime" - but thats how different people are:
Some consider this a valid use of game time.

Different play styles and definitions of "fun" are the nature of online games and it's totally ok.

So to avoid spoiling peoples fun i consider the poll "done" at this point, the results is:
No open loot/drop location database.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________
[b]A result tho is, that the database on the portal needs some updates/love?[/b]
As a fact, it is showing incorrect informations.

A few example to reproduce/look up:

[b][color=#000080]Model Y, Level 6 Shield.[/color][/b]
Database listing it for:
[i]Free Spacer Mediator 31[/i]
and
[i]Terran Alliance Fleet Admiral 56 Item Killinger[/i]

My information is, that the shield has been [b]MOVED[/b] to L56, its not dropping from the L31 anymore.
[size=3][i](Dev Ri...(?) chnged this a while ago).[/i][/size]

[color=#000080][b]Ivory Ward:[/b][/color]
Listed[b] ONLY[/b] on
[i]Hung Kwan Novice Red Dragon[/i]
But it's dropping from the Drones L45+/BBW as well
[size=3][i](maybe even other mob dropping it)[/i][/size]

[color=#000080][b]Barrier of Ooze L7:[/b][/color]
Listed on:
Mabonae Corolla L36
Ostarae Sporemother L36
Lush Ostarae Torus L36

It's not dropping from any of them, it's dropping from L44 Bison and L39(?) Sagat - but it's not listed on Sagat nor on Bison.
Bison has only listed the "Slime" (L8).

[color=#000080][b]PJ "Badaxe" Level 7:[/b][/color]
Is not in the DB but it "should" (Market say) drop from a L36 Shakaku on Dahin planet?

[b][color=#000080]Beam "Novaflash II" L3[/color][/b]
Listed on a mob called "Istapp" L15.
Never seen such mob, is it even spawning?

There are many more, the above are only to exemplify. Edited by Zackman

[quote name='Shaddex' timestamp='1328782724' post='53340']
What database source are you looking at to get those results ?

Ivory Ward in DB does not show drop locations ?
[/quote]

I use Net-7.org

I go to:
Database
Tab MOBS
Enter search string "hung kwan"

You see the mob now and the "Ivory ward" listed as drop.

No enter as search string "veteran dragon".
You dont see the ivory ward listed as drop now, but it is dropping from the Veteran Dragon Drone L45.

[b]Of course[/b] i wouldn't say your DB is showing incorrect informations when surfing another site (enbarsenal) :lol:
I wouldn't call BMW and complain about the brakes while driving a Mercedes.... :lol:

No, thats all Net-7.org..... Edited by Zackman

[quote name='Zackman' timestamp='1328783486' post='53343']
I use Net-7.org

I go to:
Database
Tab MOBS
Enter search string "hung kwan"

You see the mob now and the "Ivory ward" listed as drop.

No enter as search string "veteran dragon".
You dont see the ivory ward listed as drop now, but it is dropping from the Veteran Dragon Drone L45.

[b]Of course[/b] i wouldn't say your DB is showing incorrect informations when surfing another site (enbarsenal) :lol:
I wouldn't call BMW and complain about the brakes while driving a Mercedes.... :lol:

No, thats all Net-7.org.....
[/quote]

Well thanks for bringing this up..
Looks like we have a Buggy mob search.

Ill look into it.

Could it be that the DB search on mobs and the information listed under items "this...has hidden drops in database" are two diff. databases? ....

I "suspect" the item-info connecting to the live-DB, the search tho is a (different/local) DB? Edited by Zackman