Question About Net-7 Website

Doesn't seem to. The website is based on a wide screen resolution. I have the same problem in a regular web browser - a wide screen monitor is fine, but a 4:3 monitor (1024x768 to be precise) I have to side-scroll.

I run the game at 1024x768 even though I have a wide screen monitor, so that I don't ge the weird warpage/stretch that you get forcing the client into a wide screen aspect ratio. I first noticed it with a monitor that was also 1024x768, but now that I'm on a 1280x800 monitor I still run the client in it's intended 4:3 ratio.

Hmm. The website is only 1100-ish pixels wide, but I think there's some room to squish it a bit. I'm sure the web devs can whittle it down a bit to fit low-res 4:3 displays better.

Just seems like it would make sense to me. Of course it's not so much an issue for those who surf in on the web, but since it's also a resource to be used in game (or at least I use it, maps - database - my other toons inventory) it should fit. As far as I can see there's nothing demanding that width.

Interesting to note that maps fit perfectly...

[quote name='Ted Thompson' timestamp='1327540803' post='52300']
Oh, and while this is a ? about net-7 topic, it'd be nice if one day we didn't have to manually update our sig/banners :D
[/quote]
Yeah, I know what you mean, but it would take a gnarly bit of processing to do them all over and over again methinks. I could see re-generating them once every day. Would that be enough?

[quote name='C Del' timestamp='1327560326' post='52330']
Yeah, I know what you mean, but it would take a gnarly bit of processing to do them all over and over again methinks. I could see re-generating them once every day. Would that be enough?
[/quote]ehh.... stop.

You either run a script that deletes cached image when they get too old and then launch update script when said image is accessed (404 error)
... or you proxy all requests thru said script which then decides if image needs updating or not.

[quote name='karu' timestamp='1327564944' post='52338']
ehh.... stop.

You either run a script that deletes cached image when they get too old and then launch update script when said image is accessed (404 error)
... or you proxy all requests thru said script which then decides if image needs updating or not.
[/quote]
That had occurred to me, but the thought of deciding whether or not to update the image every time it's pulled seemed unattractive, especially given the very large number of views these images probably get.

We could modify the code to check the mofified date on a file, if its over 24 hours run a script to update it and recreate a new file, from them on, load the file for the next 24 hours.

I was going to do this, however our forum did not allow dynamic images to be used in signatures, so this would need enabling too.

[quote name='Slayerman' timestamp='1327572328' post='52357']
We could modify the code to check the mofified date on a file, if its over 24 hours run a script to update it and recreate a new file, from them on, load the file for the next 24 hours.

I was going to do this, however our forum did not allow dynamic images to be used in signatures, so this would need enabling too.
[/quote]

Why? Every time I update my sigs on Net-7 they a reload of any page showing my sig here on enb-emulator instantly updates. I wouldn't worry about seeing it change WHILE someone is viewing it....

I'd think a once a day update would do - even once a week if the server load was too much.

It seems that you are discussing two approaches, one simply doing the same thing as when I click on the signature automagically and then still having a cached image to be viewed, the other creating the image "on demand" (using php's imagepng() I'd assume)

[quote name='Ted Thompson' timestamp='1327589487' post='52367']
Why? Every time I update my sigs on Net-7 they a reload of any page showing my sig here on enb-emulator instantly updates. I wouldn't worry about seeing it change WHILE someone is viewing it....

I'd think a once a day update would do - even once a week if the server load was too much.

It seems that you are discussing two approaches, one simply doing the same thing as when I click on the signature automagically and then still having a cached image to be viewed, the other creating the image "on demand" (using php's imagepng() I'd assume)
[/quote]
The difference is really between just always re-caching the images every day or updating them when they're accessed if they're more than a day old. Upon thinking it out, I don't think the processing overhead on checking the file modification date could be too bad, so I would agree with karu and Slayerman that this is the way to go.

I will see about the dynamic image deal. Edit: I checked and dynamic images are enabled. You may fire when ready.