Why I Think We Need A Player Wipe.

Lannister

This is off subject...but is there a way to pull a thread out of the "my content" tab of the character forum page?

This subject has got repetitive and boring to me and would like to remove it so it's not highlighted when I check updated threads.

You'd have to delete all yoru posts from it and/or unsubscribe if you have it subscribed.

Shadowxsx: I don't miss your point, but I know that if we cater to what you are describing it will take another 5 or 6 years to do what we could probably get done in a year. While this might not be popular in that respect, it is achieving the goal faster which is more important at this point because like you said if we keep on and on the hardware might eventually not be able to run the game properly.

Simply put in relation to funds, if no funds come in there's no server to play on. I've said that many a time, that's simply all that would mean, we wouldn't stop development, you'd just have to wait and not play til we release it to everyone. The only reason we take the donations is so we can have a server with people to play on. Before we had one we had no problem getting plenty of beta test volunteers who dealt with daily and weekly wipes, and like I said they did this in beta for the live game too right up until the 2 weeks prior to launch when they gave those people FF tags.

I'm not going to say any more on it, because its obvious no matter how I explain it nothing will satisfy. While I can respect your point of view, I do not endorse it as a game designer because I know the industry doesn't work that way when testing a pre-live game MOST of the time.

There are always a certain amount of people that play Beta's that don't understand the concept. There is no getting around it.[list=1]
[*]The EMU is not finalized. It still has a ton of work before it can even be called Beta since there are a ton of things (gear, skills, mob AI, mob skills, missions, ship navigation, scan distance, etc, etc, etc) that just don't work and/or work correctly.
[*]Untill all items are working no actual balancing can successfully occur. This means that whatever uber gear or crazy xp you gain in this EMU it was in a test environment.
[/list]
No one has to donate money. No one has to login to the public server. The devs do not have to update or pay for a public server. I doubt it would happen but the devs could always close the public server down and then what? If any 'player' feels that the devs are taken advantage of their time consider this:[list]
[*]Take however much time you have spent in the EMU and then triple it for the Dev team (and probably more for some of the older devs).
[*]Think of all the time they spend answering forum posts, fixing bugs/problems for players on the public server, and consistently keeping track of donations to keep the public server running.
[/list]
I think everyone should lay of the Devs, kill this topic, and just go enjoy/test the current content. Saying thank you to the Devs....for bringing back a game that so many people loved.....would also be nice.

THANKS DEVs!
  • Upvote 2

I should point out that in addition to Lann's points in his first post. There are other distractions out there in the mmo world. One of those started in December and its a great deal of fun. However, there is also the stark reality of the real life situation of many many people to consider. Players who used to come on may have been victim of circumstances beyond their control...

Then again, who among us is not a fan of star wars in some respect? When one can play [and admittedly pay =\ ] a game where graphics look absolutely stunning with multiple choice storylines for different classes, only encountering some lag on the space stations with a crowd of people.. And I'm just telling it like it is from my perspective...

But yet, there are problems where even the latest games fall short. Not being able to personalize the clothing colors for example.. I'm always reminded that the community of this game is far more friendly in general to people, and I like the music too.

I do agree with the suggestion of if there is a potential wipe, some sort of older character remaining system. I also agree that the seeker needs more seeker-ish things to do, but again it all takes time.. Time that alot of us older gamers are starting to find in shorter supply as the world marches on.

We don't need a wipe until the situation is correct for it to happen.

As always people being people hear what they want to hear, not what is said.....

At one point a Dev said it MIGHT be possible to carry over a selected toon from ST4 to either further ST or beta.

Like children hearing that if they behaved, cleaned their toys up, ate all their veggies and did it cheerfully there MIGHT be a favorite goodie to be had, they heard the word DEFINITELY rather than MIGHT.

That word MIGHT was uttered long ago and with further explainations and modifications, since that time and now many other modifiers have happened turning MIGHT into DEFINITELY NOT, but people being people they want to hold the Dev uttering the fateful MIGHT, to MOST CERTAINLY, since they didn't want to believe MIGHT may be NO.

MIGHT: simple past tense of MAY.
Ex. They MIGHT be at the station.
MAY:used to express a possability
Ex.It MAY rain.

Can be confused with MUST.
[color=#333333](used[/color] to express contingency, especially in clauses [color=#333333]indicating[/color] condition, [color=#0055BB]concession,[/color] purpose, result, etc.): I may [color=#333333]be[/color] [color=#333333]wrong[/color] but I think you [color=#333333]would[/color] be wise to go. Times may change but [color=#333333]human[/color] [url="http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/nature"]nature[/url] [color=#333333]stays[/color] [color=#333333]the[/color] [color=#333333]same.[/color]

[color=#333333]Conditions have interviened, and no matter how much people (being as people are) wish otherwise MIGHT has become NO.[/color]

[quote name='Mattsacre' timestamp='1332608231' post='55927']
At one point a Dev said it MIGHT be possible to carry over a selected toon from ST4 to either further ST or beta.
[/quote]

That would be pretty cool. If so I wonder which toon I'd keep, and if it's one per account or one total. If it's one Total, I'd probably keep my JT since she'd be able to make all the reactors my other Jenquai toons would need. If it's one per account the other one would be tough, my mule JE for the whs he already has, or my TW for his ablity to build weapons & engines?
  • Upvote 1

[quote name='Terrell' timestamp='1332610940' post='55929']
That would be pretty cool. If so I wonder which toon I'd keep, and if it's one per account or one total. If it's one Total, I'd probably keep my JT since she'd be able to make all the reactors my other Jenquai toons would need. If it's one per account the other one would be tough, my mule JE for the whs he already has, or my TW for his ablity to build weapons & engines?
[/quote]
That was a hypothetic "what I would do...if" statement right? Because as stated in my previous post, MIGHT carry over isn't in play, CERTAINLY NOT is in play now.

I.E. there will be no toon carry over. period.

This has been confirmed via at least LDev (Lead developer)/CD(content director) Kyp ( I figure he MIGHT :P be in the know) and another Dev.
Because of problems that have occured since the" MIGHT" statement like database corruption etc. MIGHT i.e. POSSIBLY is now NOT HAPPENING i.e. NO.
Put another way more bluntly, there will be a player wipe... and as always paired with that....but not planned soon.

But hey, don't take my word for it...I just read it with my own eyes...maybe I was seeing things....scroll up..read for yourself :) Edited by Mattsacre

Yeah, it was a hypothetical, what would I do if I could, and why I'd do it statement.

I can live with a wipe, I just hope that there are new things to do when it happens. Unless I'm misunderstanding, there will be some new content before the next wipe. Besides there's probably low to mid content that was put in in the time since the last wipe that my characters missed.

• 2 months later...
[quote name='Arethusa' timestamp='1332871672' post='56014']
Wow...slogging through this thread has given me a headache, but it was worth it.
[/quote]

[img]http://www.ibridgeplayer.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/thumbs-up2.jpg[/img]
  • Downvote 1

We need a wipe because there are Low level NPC in the Starting sectors that Are aggroing but not shooting.
I discovered this while starting a PW. The Alpha and Beta Worms were exhibiting this behavior.
They were not flashing Red/Yellow but were swarming around me and not shooting.

Then I here from another player in chat that there are NPC in Swooping Eagle and that are also exhibitng
this behavior. The Terran Starting sector has not been checked or reported.

These things NEED to be reported as BUGS/Exploits NOW and after the wipe.

So let me understand.....a thread titled "Why I think we need a player wipe" is used by you to complain about mob AI behaviour, of which they are still working on and tinkering with?!? AI behaviour...yes MOB BEHAVIOUR is not Pwipe material! Especially since they are working it out...maybe it is a bug report thing...might possibly be a exploit thing (if you see someone doing, or are able too yourself, use a "repeatable" bug to gain a undue advantage over other players) * , but we need to "Pwipe, the mobs are acting funny"? NOT. *sigh*

*there is a real arguement as to what constitutes "undue advantage over other players, subverting intended game mechanics" in a Alpha game stage, or even in a Beta game stage. Of course if it is a bug or trick that is resulting in griefing etc. that is a OBVIOUS, (even in Alpha/Beta state) a exploit and should be squashed through tiered bug reports, and if continued by players to grief or hack lead to bans etc.

To sum up: A Pwipe is a inevitability as Devs have stated, but to promote or advocate for one, simply because mobs are acting odd... something they are tweeking is a little over the top.

I vote to close this thread and have someone write up a bug on mobs that are not firing on n00bs.

note: if you have the 'Vaden's Sexy Underwear' device equipped low level mobs won't fire on you by design......at least that's what Kenu said.
  • Upvote 2

[quote name='Crichton' timestamp='1339008000' post='58523']
note: if you have the 'Vaden's Sexy Underwear' device equipped low level mobs won't fire on you by design......at least that's what Kenu said.
[/quote]

A few more conditions need to be met tho:
[list]
[*]must be Wednesday
[*]must be X-Mas
[*]Obama has become president of 14 countries simultan
[*]EA is sending the EnB-source code via EMAIL to.....BIOWARE
[*]Microsoft released Windows OpenSource 1.0
[*]Steven Jobs was spotted in Austin, singing "Dont be cruel" with Elvis in Duett
[*]and Homer Simpson is taking over "Two and a half man"
[/list]

:lol:

[quote name='Mattsacre' timestamp='1339006519' post='58522']
So let me understand.....a thread titled "Why I think we need a player wipe" is used by you to complain about mob AI behaviour, of which they are still working on and tinkering with?!? AI behaviour...yes MOB BEHAVIOUR is not Pwipe material! Especially since they are working it out...maybe it is a bug report thing...might possibly be a exploit thing (if you see someone doing, or are able too yourself, use a "repeatable" bug to gain a undue advantage over other players) * , but we need to "Pwipe, the mobs are acting funny"? NOT. *sigh*

*there is a real arguement as to what constitutes "undue advantage over other players, subverting intended game mechanics" in a Alpha game stage, or even in a Beta game stage. Of course if it is a bug or trick that is resulting in griefing etc. that is a OBVIOUS, (even in Alpha/Beta state) a exploit and should be squashed through tiered bug reports, and if continued by players to grief or hack lead to bans etc.

To sum up: A Pwipe is a inevitability as Devs have stated, but to promote or advocate for one, simply because mobs are acting odd... something they are tweeking is a little over the top.
[/quote]

Aaah NO!
Its been a while since I started a new toon, and in the first 1/2 hour of playing I found something not working as they should.
And the possibility of other stuff not working correctly, weather it be Mispelled talk trees with missing type, drops not there, missing NPCs WHAT EVER.

Players are just shrugging their shoulders "I'll let someone else report it" "Hey maybe theres a Few L25s I could go kill and not have them shoot back."
Truthfully The reason why I posted this is to Get People to Report any thing they may see that Might be wrong.
If they had all done this before we wouldn't be in a Stress Test 4 But maybe Beta.

But let critique One Persons reason why and not take into consideration all of the reasons WHY that everyone has posted on this thread.
My reason is just one of a few.
IMO, this thread was created to find the problems, Bugs and Exploits in the same way That Bug Reports are reported but through idle friendly (Mostly)
open manner through conversation and Discussion.

I report and strive to make a better game.
I don't exploit bugs never will, I report them even after I was a Beta Tester. A couple of them were, (I admit) Painful to report.
Complain about Mob behavior? Seriously? LMFAO.

[quote name='Phorlaug' timestamp='1339074869' post='58541']

IMO, this thread was created to find the problems, Bugs and Exploits in the same way That Bug Reports are reported but through idle friendly (Mostly)
open manner through conversation and Discussion.

[/quote]
I think this thread was created to help explain to new people why they should expect their character to someday get wiped. Bugs that get reported here instead of the Bug Reports system aren't as likely to get fixed. (I admit, I am having trouble figuring out exactly what you're arguing, Phorlaug, so forgive me if I've misinterpreted what you posted.) Are you using the bug as an example of why we need a wipe to help catch problems in the lower-level content? I think a plea for people to run through the content with a new character would be kinder and work better. If there's a ton of new low-level content, then perhaps a wipe would make sense instead.

In any event, we're here to help make the game better, rather than fight. If someone comes along to just play, as they do, we have to kindly explain that we're working towards a release, and there will (may?) be wipes 'till we're done.