New memorial

Jamoley1

[quote name='Cylore' timestamp='1325304613' post='50670']
Would like to make a suggestion to add a new memorial nav point Glory's Orbit

Westwood memorial.
[/quote]

+1 Agreed and I second that. Mos def.

Actually......make a mission of it in GO...In the day there was a mission were you launched a memorial bouy in GO. You launched one for the NPC to remain static like the ones for challenger etc. Then you could launch one that was temporary (don't know the decay rate but think it was wiped on a restart) of your own (TOC rules applied..I.E. np foul or harrassing things etc.)

How about a mission to launch a bouy "for the fallen" that includes one for WW. Have some dialog from NPC about what WW was etc. for those that weren't part of this great game in the day, educate them a bit on what innovators they were etc., let the WW bouy persist and bring back the temporary player driven bouys back in game.

It was a way back then for players to express some way in game their personal loss in RL, like a loved one, or a pet, or a girl/boy friend etc.

[quote name='Mattsacre' timestamp='1325789271' post='50965']
Actually......make a mission of it in GO...In the day there was a mission were you launched a memorial bouy in GO. You launched one for the NPC to remain static like the ones for challenger etc. Then you could launch one that was temporary (don't know the decay rate but think it was wiped on a restart) of your own (TOC rules applied..I.E. np foul or harrassing things etc.)

How about a mission to launch a bouy "for the fallen" that includes one for WW. Have some dialog from NPC about what WW was etc. for those that weren't part of this great game in the day, educate them a bit on what innovators they were etc., let the WW bouy persist and bring back the temporary player driven bouys back in game.

It was a way back then for players to express some way in game their personal loss in RL, like a loved one, or a pet, or a girl/boy friend etc.
[/quote]

I remember that (somewhat), and it would be a nice thing to see happen.

for those that weren't part of this great game in the day, educate them a bit on what innovators they were etc.
[/quote]

Well it certainly was innovative for the day. What the mmo market then was, was a growing amount of pioneering mmo players and developers, but being the market saturated with high-fantasy games. No EVE, no SWG:JTL, no Star Trek nor BSG mmo. In other words, the elves dominated the new frontier while the vacuum of space was left mostly empty and void. Then came Westwood, having already published some great games, focused their attention on making a space mmo, and the rest was history.

Though history is not over, that’s why I suggest Smugglers Run (BW) for the location. I think it’s a good way to honor the work that Westwood did to produce this game. And even though evil EA decided to go to EA land and drop EnB, it today lives on in the quiet hidden underworlds of known space.

+1
  • Upvote 1

Sorry but I don't think Smugglers Run (BW) would be a good place. Not every player would be able to get there. So I agree GO would be a better place. everyone new and old can see it there.

just my 2 cents. ( $10.50 US if things don't change soon....LOL)

I don't know about a memorial since the Westwood employees resigned from EA as a group and they formed a new company to continue their creative games development. If they'd been absorbed into EA and their collective talent forgotten then may be a memorial would have been right. So rather than a memorial, may be Westwood could be honored another way perhaps with a mission with a good storyline or reward. May be a "Challenge this!" branded Westwood set of guns.

[quote name='AZdexter' timestamp='1325898325' post='51058']
Not every player would be able to get there.
[/quote]That's pretty much the point, it's not easy to get to, not easy to find, maybe even require some freewarp searching, and having a decent enough reward making it irresistible to find. Much like the EMU. People still always showing up that played EnB and just found the EMU.

[/quote]

what did these look like? And how did they work?

My recollection is fuzzy at best and should be discarded in the face of ANYONE else coming forward to say what they remember, but...

As I recall you went to launching point nav to lauch it, and did so the same way you "launch" a satellite or garbage container. The object that was launched looked like a Terran symbol (maybe that changed according to race, as I was a Terran) - The thing I don't recall is when/how it asked you for a Name for it - nor do I recall if the object stayed in game or vanished right away or exactly what...

I remember playing a pw in live and passing by the memorial place i think the mission was just to seek out all those memorial sightings not memorials were static some had holographic pictures but for effects of course. I think I had to go to all the progen graves and read them till i found kahns memorial and after that i forget where else i went during the wars it might have been a mission based on pw storyline but memory is a bit fuzzy. the reward if there was any wasn't skill points i think jenquia have a similar mission but it's definitely part of there earlier hull upgrade missions and they don't go visiting grave sites.

How about rig it up like old nick and hide it in a number of zones. Let it linger a day and then appear randomly in another zone on it's list. It got caught in some folding temporal causality loop vortex :) ...with candy!!!

[quote name='Kyp' timestamp='1325345754' post='50692']
If someone thinks they can record me a voice/broadcast for it, go for it. I'll add this.
[/quote]
If someone wants to script one, I do have the equipment to record it.

[quote name='Ted Thompson' timestamp='1325965410' post='51122']
My recollection is fuzzy at best and should be discarded in the face of ANYONE else coming forward to say what they remember, but...

As I recall you went to launching point nav to lauch it, and did so the same way you "launch" a satellite or garbage container. The object that was launched looked like a Terran symbol (maybe that changed according to race, as I was a Terran) - The thing I don't recall is when/how it asked you for a Name for it - nor do I recall if the object stayed in game or vanished right away or exactly what...
[/quote]

ahh I see ... for some reason I was picturing a permanent satellite people could launch that everyone else can see.

Actually that's not a bad idea ... I think everyone should have one of these they can place anywhere after completing a mission. Each one could have a short text message, and would record who placed it, and its age. They would have to be placed a certain distance away from gates and stations.

[quote name='StarbuckJD' timestamp='1325903905' post='51065']
That's pretty much the point, it's not easy to get to, not easy to find, maybe even require some freewarp searching, and having a decent enough reward making it irresistible to find. Much like the EMU. People still always showing up that played EnB and just found the EMU.
[/quote]

I don't see the point in this. If a memorial for WW was erected, it should be public and noticable. I think if anything it should be put in the place(s) most traveled. If we are honoring Westwood, they should get prime real estate :D

[quote name='Lot' timestamp='1325902382' post='51060']
I don't know about a memorial since the Westwood employees resigned from EA as a group and they formed a new company to continue their creative games development. If they'd been absorbed into EA and their collective talent forgotten then may be a memorial would have been right. So rather than a memorial, may be Westwood could be honored another way...[/quote]

Incorrect.

[quote name='C Del' timestamp='1326676606' post='51576']
If someone wants to script one, I do have the equipment to record it.
[/quote]

I was just about to say that =P
I am recording 3-4 days a week currently, so this is right up my alley.

[quote name='Hatu' timestamp='1326702240' post='51582']
I don't see the point in this.
[/quote]well I'm not rewording it. You don't understand the point I'm making in that paragraph? It fits perfectly, and I'm not going to be drawn into an arguement over it.

[quote name='StarbuckJD' timestamp='1325903905' post='51065']
That's pretty much the point, it's not easy to get to, not easy to find, maybe even require some freewarp searching, and having a decent enough reward making it irresistible to find. Much like the EMU. People still always showing up that played EnB and just found the EMU.
[/quote]
I agree. That is the point, and always has been throughout the history of gaming. Easter eggs aren't supposed to be just left right in front of your door so you see them all right as you start your adventure.

Plus I like the fact that 95% of players on here, if not 100% will be people who were at least old enough to remember the game back in the day which I'm sure cuts back a lot on noob spam. Edited by rockrat

[quote name='rockrat' timestamp='1326730868' post='51589']
I agree. That is the point, and always has been throughout the history of gaming. Easter eggs aren't supposed to be just left right in front of your door so you see them all right as you start your adventure.[/quote]Well yeah, if ya like having it always handed to ya, play wow. hehe. Sure, make it a challenge, but of course the point is the emu in relation to westwood or the original state of EnB. There are no game network sites with huge EnB EMU sections, as in most cases EMU's are shunned in those places. The EMU lives out of sight, hidden in the underground world, not easily found unless you know what you are looking for, but it lives on. So I say make it hard to find, a challenge, to make it reflect the state of the work done by westwood, and in the current state still alive, but not easily found. Seems appropriate to me at least, not a concept hard to grasp. But yes, in the end it just comes down to the challenge, because challenge is more fun than castles, fireworks and mickymouse ears.
  • Upvote 1